BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default I have had the ATT Bold on ATT for a week now and it has some bugs.

Please Login to Remove!

1) One time all my settings for my loud and vibrate reverted back to the defaults and I had to reconfigure them.
2) Today while in the calendar the screen went blank, the red message light came on, and it rebooted.
3) Sometimes emails and Blackberry messages just go into a pending state for several mins even when i have great 3g reception. sometimes rebooting, turning the wireless on and off or just waiting will resolve this.

I may reload the OS or try a diff version.

anyone else have these issues?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
masonfoley
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I've suggested this before in other posts from Berry peeps who have had issues with new OS'es. The first thing I would do, for every app that I use that isn't a native app in the OS, is find out from the original developer/publisher of the software if they guarantee that the app is compatible with the OS.

Then, for each app that I get a positive response that yes, it is compatible, I would load that app on the device and run a series of smoke tests. Try to hit on all of the basic functionality of the app. Then move on to the next app and repeat.

If I load an app onto the device where it is not known if is compatible, I would make a note of it. And if I start seeing issues after loading this app, I would remove it and see if any adverse behavior still persists.

I'm not saying you are but I sense that there are a number of people who make the assumption that all of their favorite apps will work on the new platforms. This is not a good assumption to make. I would proceed with caution, knowing that if something crops up, I would suspect a 3rd party app first, not necessarily the OS. This would be especially more probable in my opinion for people who restore/transfer a backup from a previous device (4.5 and below) to a 4.6 device.

Through a process of elimination, I would try to determine which app that might be. If the problem persists with no 3rd party apps on the device, then I might begin to suspect the OS and possibly experiment with previous versions.

My two cents.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. No Nation could preserve it's freedom in the midst of continual warfare." -- James Madison.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

I thought about that actually but my problems have been pretty intermittent but still more then normal for a blackberry.

Jivetalk is the one I use the most followed by facebook and google maps.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
Attila The Hun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T,Orang

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
1) One time all my settings for my loud and vibrate reverted back to the defaults and I had to reconfigure them.
2) Today while in the calendar the screen went blank, the red message light came on, and it rebooted.
3) Sometimes emails and Blackberry messages just go into a pending state for several mins even when i have great 3g reception. sometimes rebooting, turning the wireless on and off or just waiting will resolve this.

don't be afanded but stop playing with your phone and you will not have problems
Old 10-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
BBFanboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila The Hun View Post
don't be afanded but stop playing with your phone and you will not have problems
Yes, if you don't use your phone you will not have any problems with it!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Update the OS to .162 or .167 IMMEDIATELY. That cures a lot of woes for folks.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
CSO
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
Reasonable minds would have to assume this was meant as a joke. No?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
estabulla
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Update the OS to .162 or .167 IMMEDIATELY. That cures a lot of woes for folks.
If it is an ATT Bold, would it not have come with .167?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I don't know, but buying a new device, even one just released, does not mean you get the latest OS. Very often it's a couple of revisions behind the latest version.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
the_bidness
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Seriously?

The guy paid at least $300 for the thing... I think it's reasonable to expect it to work.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
JvKintheUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:

I agree with masonfoley that 3rd party apps are usually to blame
Old 10-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

I have .167 and I got it free at the launch party. We are going to order a few hundred of these Bold's shortly for the firm so I am just mentioning some of the problems I am seeing. I am sure being a new device these things are to be expected.

I am going to stop leaving jivetalk running in the background and see if there is any improvement.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
seanp666

Model: 8310
Carrier: tmobile
Default .167

I think the word is the .167 OS the Bold comes with is a beta version...The upgrade on AT&T wich is the multi language 2.58 or something like that is the newest .167 software and is better....try it out and see if its better
Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
jwilhoit

Model: 8200

Quote:

I had purchased an unlocked Bold a couple of months ago and all of your experiences happened to me and more. I would have my Bold in my pocket and out of the blue, the message light would come on and the phone would turn off, reboot, etc.

What worked for me was to go back to version .147 of the OS. It solved everyone of the issues I had. And so far, none of them have cropped back up.
Closed Thread