Technarch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Refresh on the LCD too low?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi:

I have a Rogers Bold. There is something I have been noticing, with all firmware versions I have tried.

I seem to see fine scan lines on the screen. It's rather distracting.

If you stare at something directly, it is smooth, but if you move the device, or do stuff like move the blue selection bar in the menus up and down rapidly, or sort of squint/blink your eyes, you can see these fine horizontal lines.. it's noticable in things like the MTextReader icon, certain wallpapers, etc. Problem is I notice it even when moving the device around with my hand.

Edit: From playing around at techmind (cool lcd test site!), I have learned that the Bold screen uses the Row-inversion (also known as line-inversion) method of placing pixels on the screen.. this is where you have one line horizontally with RGB all turned on, then the line below it all turned off, then back on, etc. Every other line essentially, unlike my MacBook's lcd with which is an offset subpixel arrangement. If you click on the row inversion pattern there using the bold, you'll see mad flicker (not safe for epileptics).

It almost reminds me of 60 hz flicker. I can't tell if it's the actual LEDs flickering ever so subtly, the refresh rate of the LCD not being set right, or something else. I even found myself wondering if the screen was refreshing in an interlaced manner.. every other line.

It is not specific to 1 spot on the screen and the screen looks just fine otherwise.

Has anyone noticed this? I'd love for a fix to get the dot clock to go faster or whatever it is that causes me to see the scan lines.

Edit: Huh.. I thought it saved.. I'll try again.. shorter this time.. I have learned from the cool techmind site that has lcd test patterns that the bold's lcd uses Row-inversion (also known as line-inversion) method, which is a fully lit line of pixels, every other line.. A clue. Check the pattern out if you're not an epileptic.

Last edited by Technarch; 10-05-2008 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Any fix on that level would have to come in an OS upgrade. Nobody is going to be able to come up with fix for that.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Technarch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I knew I wasn't imagining things. Here is a video of the PSP-3000 being compared to the PSP-2000. The PSP-3000's screen uses the same arrangement as the Bold.

This is what I am talking about: YouTube - PSP 3000 - Screen Comparison With Slim & Lite + Subpixel Closeups

Nothing can be done. This is a hardware issue. There is no way to change it.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

This is common in almost all phones. It is a luck of the draw. My friends iphone does it and mine doesn't. I have about 20 curves, 8820s at work and most of them do this. What I notice is it gets worse over time. So far my Bold does not do this. I had to exchange an ipod touch 3 times to get when that didn't have the scan lines as it drives me nuts.
Closed Thread