Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
natemc

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default using Blackberry 8830 with Parallels

Please Login to Remove!

I have a new MacBook Pro with Parallels 4.0 installed. I'm using Windows XP via Parallel. I also have a brand new Blackberry 8830 World Edition and have installed the Blackberry Desktop Manager version 4.7. I want to sync my Outlook Calendar and Contacts with the device, but am unable to do anything. The Desktop Manager doesn't seem to be communicating with my Blackberry. Before purchasing the Blackberry I was assured by Verizon (my carrier) that I would be able to use the Desktop Manager via Parallels to sync with my Blackberry. If I cannot sync my Outlook Calendar and Contacts then I have a serious problem. Any suggestions?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

There are several threads here about the inability to connect a BB and use DM under Parallels. I had that problem with Parallels v. 4 and its predecessors. I now use VM Ware Fusion and have no problems.

VMWare is, in my view, superior to Parallels. It is faster (at least for me) and more stable). It is perhaps slightly less polished and not quite as tightly integrated with the Mac. However, it works.

VMWare has a free trial for (I think) 30 days. Also, they have a free program that will convert your Parallel Virtual Machine to a VM Ware Virtual Machine.

I would try this:
(1) Shut down Parallels completely.
(2) Backup the Parallels Virtual machine onto an external HD (or fhalsh drive, depending on size). -- This is so you can easily revert to it if you do not like VM Ware.
(3) Install VM Ware Fusion.
(4) Install the VM Ware program to convert your Parallels Virtual Machine.
(5) Allow it to convert.
(6) Fire up VM Ware.
(7) Sync your BB!

Let us know how it works out.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
natemc

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Your reply is much appreciated. I've spent untold hours getting Parallels set up and finally have everything working on it except the BB Desktop. The thought of switching to VMWare after all this is awful, but if that's my only option then I guess I'll do it. Do you know if VMWare has the "Coherence" feature that Parallels has?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

VM Ware has a Coherence feature called Unity Mode. Switching to VM Ware is relatively painless. You will not have to reinstall Windows. Simply use the VM Ware too for migrating a Parallels Virtual Machine to VM Ware. Here is the link to download Fusion with a 30 day trial: VMware Fusion - VMware
And here is the link with instructions for importing a Parallels virtual machine to VM Ware: VMware: Team Fusion: VMware Fusion 2.0.2 Now Available: Import Parallels Desktop 4 Virtual Machines and More!

And here is an article comparing them: VMware Fusion 2 vs. Parallels Desktop 4: Let’s Dance - TheAppleBlog

Trust me. This is not going to be difficult. And you are going to prefer VM Ware. BTW, VM Ware can be configured to launch the Mac programs when you double-click on a file, such as a pdf or Word file. To launch files from Outlook by double-clicking them, make sure the folder where Outlook attachments are stored temporarily is shared with the Mac.

If you need help, feel free to contact me.

Chris
Closed Thread