Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO
Default Message alert trouble

Please Login to Remove!

I am using message alert and I like the basic concept. However, what I am finding is the rules I set only work when the BB is out of the holster. When in the holster, the rules I set in the profile appear to override the message alert rules. Is this normal? Anyway to get around this?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 243b354f
Carrier: AT&T

I noticed that today too. Don't know if disabling all SMS (in my case I only use it for SMS messages) notifications in my BlackBerry default profile will allow only the Message Alert notification to work.

I did notice the reminder did work okay - nothing to override since the BlackBerry profiles don't really allow reminders.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
Soapm

Being real honest, I am considering returning my 7290. Overall it is a nice concept but I think it still as a couple of major short commings. The alerts is huge. On its own you can't distinguish between email messages. Message alert with its filters came real close to helping that problem but;

1. filters should have been part of the design ($400 item after all)
2. Message alert doesn't work when it is holstered and I don't need an alert when it is unholstered cause then I am looking at it and can see the message.
3. There is no continual audible message reminder like a cherp. This means if you miss the original notification you are screwed.
4. I've gotten about 120 emails so far today and my wife sent me an SMS to tell me she is taking my duaghter to the hospital. She also IM'd me, sent me a text page (which I have forwarded to the BB as an email) and called me. I was in a meeting and had the phone on silent. Again, no reminder or anything just one very important message sitting in the midst of stuff that can wait and there are no filters to sort this mess out.
5. Spell checker and customizable views should have been part of the original design (remember, they want $400 for it).

I think this is a nice idea in theory but still has lots of development to go... I am going back to my text pager with continual audible alert and cell phone and will just have to view mail when I get a place to plug in the old laptop.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
katieraine
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Now, I'm not an expert or anything but why can't you:

1. Log into the web client and set up certain keywords for Level 1 alerts? I know that I have any messages coming from my boyfriend set to LVL1, and in my 7290 I have LVL1 Messages in my profile to to do vibrate+tone In holster, and vibrate+tone OUT of holster. I have messages set in profile as tone out of holster, and vibrate+tone in holster.

2. The idea with alerts is that sometimes the bb might be out of the holster, but not in your hands. I often set mine on the table without putting it in the holster. If you prefer, you could just set "out of holster" notification off.

3. Agreed, the repeat notification needs to be set to chirp, perhaps you can suggest this to RIM since it would be a simple firmware update later down the line.

4. Again, level 1 message alert setup.

5. There is a free spell checker out there, though I'll agree that it probably should have been included. (Personally I tend to not use them anyway.) Customizable views, I can agree with as well.

I can set profile sounds for Browser, Calendar, Level 1 Messages, normal messages, phone, SMS, and tasks. I can also set different tones for verichat messages. If you want a different sound for each task or different sounds for emails from different people, you're out of luck for now. Though I'd say I think there are quite a few ways you could handle this situation.

-k
Artist, Unix Goddess, Chocolate lover, and semi-professional smartypants.
---
"I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind"
Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)
Old 05-25-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

is this message alert a aftermarket or the standard message alerts
Old 05-25-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
ahovis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Not sure I understand this thread. Take a look at Message Alerts by WebMessenger and you can do most of what you want. You can set different sounds for different peoples emails and it works in or out of the holster. It will also pop up a notification and blink the led to remind you. Works for me.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahovis
Not sure I understand this thread. Take a look at Message Alerts by WebMessenger and you can do most of what you want. You can set different sounds for different peoples emails and it works in or out of the holster. It will also pop up a notification and blink the led to remind you. Works for me.
That is the program I am using but mines doesn't work when in the holster.

Thanks, katieraine I will try your level 1 idea. Being honest, I think RIM owes us a comprehensive list of ideas or instructions...

How can I suggest the chirp to RIM?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
Soapm

Now this was absolutely brrriiiillllliiiiiaaaaannnnntttt!!!! Ithought level one messages were pin to pin. Thanks to you, this thing just might be a keeper...
Old 05-26-2005, 08:59 AM   #9
PhilMax
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g

I use a filter to set up emails from certain individuals as level 1 messages. The problem I was having was distinguishing between and trying to remember which of the various tones I used were for level 1, normal messages, SMS.....

There is a solution for that on the 7100......

What I ended up doing was going to http://www.adamdaley.com/wap/voice.htm from my BB and downloading voice ringtones, using the old standby AOL "You've got mail" for SMS messages, a George Carlin "You've got a letter in your mailbox" for level 1 msgs, and "You have an incoming transmission" for all other messages. No trouble anymore distinguishiung between the types of messages that have been delivered.

Who says they can't teach an 'old dog' new tricks!
Old 06-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #10
DeathtoToasters

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Can someone tell me what a lvl1 message is.

I am in the same place as the original poster. I like the device but am having a hell of a time trying to make this device custom for me and something I can understand.

Right now I cannot find a NEWBIE guide as to set up the most basic functions.
Maybe I am not looking in the right places.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #11
alpayne

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo

A LEVEL 1 message is a notification level you can set for messages you deem to be of "top priority". You can set them up where you set your filters on both the Desktop Manager software and on the BB itself.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #12
alpayne

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo
Thumbs up LVL1 - Level 1 message

A LEVEL 1 message is a notification level you can set for messages you deem to be of "top priority". You can set them up where you set your filters on both the Desktop Manager so ftware and on the itself.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #13
beaux
No longer Registered.

Model: yes
Carrier: yes
Default Sms Alerts

edit

Last edited by beaux; 05-23-2007 at 09:53 AM..
Old 11-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #14
joec
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

I called Nextel Blackberry suport today to try to get my 7100i to notify me when I receive a voice mail message. They say there is no way to do this. I cannot even get message alerts after all the profivles are setup for tones and max volume. Anyone have any ideas or solutions for this issue.
Closed Thread