BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
toure

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Cingular MMS with Pearl - Possible Fix

Please Login to Remove!

I've got an unlocked pearl that I'm using on Cingular without any problems outside of the MMS not working. Through the diligent research of an extremely helpful Cingular store rep, I've got a fix. But it only works if you're using it with BIS. More on BES below.

Under Options, then Advanced Options, then TCP (its the last option at the bottom).

Set APN to:
wap.cingular

Set Username for APN to:
[email address]

Password for APN is:
CINGULAR1

Those settings are case sensitive so pay attention to that.

Unfortunately, I am on BES through Mailstreet and once I layer the BES Enterprise Activation on top of the Cingular Service Books, it stops working. Cannot get it figured out at all. Have talked to Cingular and Mailstreet and neither is helping very much. If anyone has any insight as to what Mailstreet BES service book might be causing the problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

These are my service books when the MMS is working and prior to BES from Mailstreet:

IPPP for BIBS [IPPP]
Blackberry Internet Browsing Service
MMS Client [MMS]
MMS Transport [WPTCP]
WAP2 Transport [WPTCP]
WAP2 BrowserConfig [BrowserConfig]
Cingular Browser [BrowserConfig]
Cingular WAP Secure Transport [WAP]
BBFS1 [BBIMConfig]
Wap Push Config [WAPPushConfig]
IPPP for 5 Click [IPPP]
Browser Config for 5 Click [Browser
Provisioning [PROVISIONING]

After Enterprise Activation, it adds the standard 6 service books:
Desktop [BrowserConfig]
Desktop [SYNC]
Desktop [CICAL]
Desktop [IPPP]
Desktop [ALP]
Desktop [CMIME]

I was getting the Red X same as everyone else. During one of the troubleshoots, I systematically deleted each of the BES service books and tried the MMS. I deleted the Desktop [CMIME], then Desktop [BrowserConfig]. Nothing changed, still Red X.

Then deleted Desktop [IPPP]. At this point, no more Red X but it still would not send out the MMS. It would give me the circle and just hang there like it was trying to send it out. I considered this improvement and leads me to believe the IPPP is the culprit. But I don't think I can just delete it.

If anyone has a better understanding of how all these things work together and can think of anything, let me know.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
tk6790
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Its not possible at the moment because Cingular doesnt support mms right now

Love my 7130c!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Cingular does support MMS, but only on the 7130. I would think that the Cingular Pearl will also support MMS.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:01 AM   #4
toure

tk6790, how can you say that? Did you even read my post? I have it working. Just with BIS. Which is all Cingular. And other people have said they have it working, just no one knew why some people's was working and others were not.

Clearly, cingular supports the MMS. There's just a problem with my config after I do the Mailstreet BES. It might be Mailstreet, it might be an OS issue, it might be a setting I'm messing up. But based on the fact that I can get it to work with BIS, I'm convinced Cingular does support it.

And why does it seem like in every one of these threads, there's someone that just jumps in and says Cingular does not support MMS? With no basis. In fact, in one of the other threads, someone jumped in and said Cingular doesn't support MMS on ANY Blackberry. Which is patently untrue as people have it working with the 7130.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:32 AM   #5
tk6790

Model: 7130c

Quote:
Originally Posted by toure
tk6790, how can you say that? Did you even read my post? I have it working. Just with BIS. Which is all Cingular. And other people have said they have it working, just no one knew why some people's was working and others were not.

Clearly, cingular supports the MMS. There's just a problem with my config after I do the Mailstreet BES. It might be Mailstreet, it might be an OS issue, it might be a setting I'm messing up. But based on the fact that I can get it to work with BIS, I'm convinced Cingular does support it.

And why does it seem like in every one of these threads, there's someone that just jumps in and says Cingular does not support MMS? With no basis. In fact, in one of the other threads, someone jumped in and said Cingular doesn't support MMS on ANY Blackberry. Which is patently untrue as people have it working with the 7130.
. When i posted someone asked They can use mms on their Pearl thats why i SAID that u kno it works wit 7130 u have one idk why it posted on here cuz ur post never showed up when i looked at it
Old 10-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
GP11

Carrier: cingular

Toure thanks for the post. I changed my APN and now the MMS works fine. I'm only a BIS user so unfortunately i can't help you with your problem. But thanks for the input.

GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toure
I've got an unlocked pearl that I'm using on Cingular without any problems outside of the MMS not working. Through the diligent research of an extremely helpful Cingular store rep, I've got a fix. But it only works if you're using it with BIS. More on BES below.

Under Options, then Advanced Options, then TCP (its the last option at the bottom).
Old 10-25-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
toure

Awesome to hear someone else independently verifying the fix. Have been looking everywhere for a solution and didn't see anyone else posting these settings either here or HoFo.

Happy to hear it works for you. Should work for most other BIS users on Cingy as well.

What I'm hoping is that some other BES user (not on mailstreet) tries the settings. I'm curious to see if its a Cingular and Mailstreet problem or if its a Cingular and BES problem.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
happiicamper

Model: 8800
Default Im now confused

well, im with you toure...

I am with Cingular and mailstreet...

My mms has not been working, i get the red x.... untill i read this post and tried it agian and it worked! so i don't know????

I do agree that Cingular supports MMS... i will say most of their agents dont know what the heck is going on...

I have had the MMS and Text package (19.99) on my account for the last month or so (ever since i got the 8100)... Like i said before i could never get it to work.... but today i tried it and it did...

I have the APN settings that you have above entered into my phone...

I have the two MMS service books...

I think I have seen a "cingular MMS" service book on the 7130 but i cant remember.... I do not have it on my 8100...

I am running the O2 software on my phone right now... I have gone from T-Mobile software to Orange to O2. i was not running the O2 software when i tried it the other times that it did not work...

Matt

Last edited by happiicamper; 10-25-2006 at 09:40 PM..
Old 10-25-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
bbelack

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Smile Do This!

Ok, I've been meaning to post... I have a blackberry pearl unlocked. I have a Cingular card in it. I was having a lot of issues trying to get it to MMS, but ultimately I finally got it to work with the help of an amazing Cingular operator (which are extremely hard to find)

First, with regard to plans: I have a data plan (but one that's NOT all inclusive with MMS and SMS), and I pay for the additional SMS and MMS packages on a monthly basis SEPARATELY.

Second, my TCP settings are: APN: "wap.cingular" with the Username as (all caps) "WAP@CINGULAR.COM", with password "cingular1".

I still couldn't get it to work though...but here is where we're golden. I asked the guy specfically what he did so I could tell all of you. This is what he said...

The Cingular operators have a program called "Snooper" which they use to set the proper APN for blackberry/treo/other PDA phone users. All you have to do, is ask the operator to use "Snooper" to add/confirm the correct APN to your account. Have them add both, "WAP.CINGULAR.COM" and "BLACKBERRY.NET" Then you pull the battery (to reset the phone).

After he did that, I was good to go. MMSing a lot now.

I have to say though, sometimes...they fail (very rarely), but I just "resend" and they go.

I really do believe the "snooper" thing works. Someone else talked about this function in a previous thread, but were vague about it. After I bounced the idea of the guy at Cingular, he knew what to do. So, there you go... Good luck!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
IpodLover77
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

is this possible without the blackberry plan? cause i have text messages and mms messages but i didnt order the blackberry plan.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I can confirm that bbelak's configuration works.

I too have an unlocked tmo 8100 which I am using in conjunction with Mailstreet.

I added all the information exactly as described and the MMS feature is now working!

Be very careful and make sure the APN has the correct spelling. At first I missed putting in the period and the configuration did not work.

When I called Cingular they told me the 8100 wasn't able to send MMS.

I have the Blackberry Data Plan as well as the starter $4.99/mo message plan.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:04 AM   #12
zacharymaxlucy

How do you change the TCP settings
Old 10-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #13
Krolla03

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

how do you fix it for tmobile?
Old 10-29-2006, 01:12 AM   #14
toure

hmmm, changed the settings to the [email address] and still not working for me. Will call them tomorrow and try the snooper thing.

Matt, would not be surprised if the O2 software upgrade fixed it for you. I had thought it might be a software issue with the first Tmo release but now other people are saying they can get it to work. Wonder if they upgraded their software.

zacharymaxlucy, go back to my first post, the first of the thread. At the top will tell you how to change the TCP settings.

No idea on Tmo how to fix it. It should work out of the box for them. If it doesn't give them a ring. They should work with you until it works.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
zacharymaxlucy

Is it

with or with out the WAP.CINGULARGPRS.COM or WAP.CINGULAR.COM
Old 10-30-2006, 03:54 PM   #16
happiicamper

Model: 8800
Smile

yea; the change of software is the only thing i can think of so far, it is still working for me... sending and receiving...

the other puzzeling thing still to me is... on the 7130 it had some "cingular MMS" service book and mine does not...

with CINGULARGPRS

Last edited by happiicamper; 10-30-2006 at 03:57 PM..
Old 10-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #17
mas90guru
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

I have an updated OS as well.

Unfortunately I did not think to try this before and after the O/S upgrade.

The APN that worked for me was the wap.cingular.com configuration.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
sanjeevjoshi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Works fine for me too. Using O2 v.64

Options --> advanced options --> TCP. I have three fields:

APN:wap.cingular
Username for APN:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password for APN: CINGULAR1

Note all CAPS for username and password
Old 10-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #19