BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
rjc12345

Default Voice Dial Applications???

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone know of any Voice Dial applications - it would REALLY improve the phone functionality... or is this just not possible with the current OS.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I haven't found anything for the BB yet. I'm using a PocketPC phone with Microsoft Voice Command software and find it works great. It is one reason I still use my PocketPC phone.

ATTWS, and now Cingular, offers Voice Dial (~$5/mo) that looks like it does what I want, voice recognition, not voice tags. Verizon offers Voice Gear that looks like it does the same. I contacted Verizon and they said I could order it even though the web site says no new subscribers.

I use Cingular for blackberry and T-Mobile for voice. T-Mobile doesn't offer any phones with bluetooth and voice recognition, nor do they offer a service in the USA like ATT/Verizon or T-Mobile Europe. I can buy a phone, there are several available now and coming out, but the cost of a new phone wipes out any savings with T-Mobile. Although I'm happy with T-Mobile's service, I'll probably switch to Cingular so I only need one device and I can have the Voice Dial feature.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I guess that's carrier-side voice dial capability (i.e. like carrier-provided voicemail instead of owning your own answering machine)

Obviously, that would be a good stopgap solution for BlackBerry users!

In the longer term, RIM should provide direct in-phone voice dial capability, but what you are suggesting, should work if the carrier is providing their own voice-recognition equipment on the other end of the airwaves, instead of inside the BlackBerry.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
pdutta2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Anyone on ATTWS/Cingular using the voice dial option? I'd love to know how voicedial works when the carrier runs it, cause I'm assuming you'd have to dial something to get to the carrier then say your voicedial entry.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
Mog

Telus doesn't offer anything for voice dial but if i find it I'll let y'all know
Old 03-05-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

I'm trying Cingular phone service now. I was using my 7290 on Cingular and T-Mobile for voice. T-Mobile has been great for me and I hate to give it up but the cost of a phone with voice recognition wipes out any price advantage T-Mobile has over other carriers. Why pay the same for T-Mobile if I'm going to have much less coverage than Cingular? T-Mobile doesn't offer voice recognition as a service and the phone selection is pretty pathetic. Oddly, T-Mobile Europe has the service and a better phone selection.

Anyway, I have the VoiceDial option and in the two days I've been using it, it works perfectly and holds 2000 numbers. Never missed a name or number. To start was simple, export my outlook contacts to a csv and import it into the system via a web page.

The downside (compared with MS Voice Command for PocketPC), slower than Voice Command on my pocket PC - you need to dial a number #121 and wait for the prompts, you get charged from when you press send on #121 not when the call connects, the phonebook doesn't show whom you've called just #121, Voice Dial gives you four numbers per person work, home, mobile and extra, MS VC uses your Outlook phone numbers (as many as you have) with the Outlook field names, MS VC will say the name of the caller (if in your Outlook phonebook) when the phone rings - you hear "call from <name>" then the ringer and it repeats until voice mail picks up and last but not least, mobile to mobile minutes can't be applied to the call. Also, MS VC did much more but all I used it for was dialing the phone or displaying a contact.

For me, the benefits of just being able to press a speed dial key and say a number is worth carrying one less device.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
mobilehavoc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None

Although I think its better than nothing...having to touch your phone in anyway to initiate voice dialing defeats one of the major features/benefits of having a BT headset.

With handsets that have voice dialing built in you don't have to reach for your phone each time you want to call someone.

My thing is that if I'm pressing any key on the phone to initiate voice dialing, why not just call the person using the phone?

It's just as easy to add common entries to the speeddial...

Like I said, it's great compared to having nothing at all but if someone developed a voice dialing app for the Blackberry 7100/7290 which supported BT...I'd be in mobile heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
I'm trying Cingular phone service now. I was using my 7290 on Cingular and T-Mobile for voice. T-Mobile has been great for me and I hate to give it up but the cost of a phone with voice recognition wipes out any price advantage T-Mobile has over other carriers. Why pay the same for T-Mobile if I'm going to have much less coverage than Cingular? T-Mobile doesn't offer voice recognition as a service and the phone selection is pretty pathetic. Oddly, T-Mobile Europe has the service and a better phone selection.

Anyway, I have the VoiceDial option and in the two days I've been using it, it works perfectly and holds 2000 numbers. Never missed a name or number. To start was simple, export my outlook contacts to a csv and import it into the system via a web page.

The downside (compared with MS Voice Command for PocketPC), slower than Voice Command on my pocket PC - you need to dial a number #121 and wait for the prompts, you get charged from when you press send on #121 not when the call connects, the phonebook doesn't show whom you've called just #121, Voice Dial gives you four numbers per person work, home, mobile and extra, MS VC uses your Outlook phone numbers (as many as you have) with the Outlook field names, MS VC will say the name of the caller (if in your Outlook phonebook) when the phone rings - you hear "call from <name>" then the ringer and it repeats until voice mail picks up and last but not least, mobile to mobile minutes can't be applied to the call. Also, MS VC did much more but all I used it for was dialing the phone or displaying a contact.

For me, the benefits of just being able to press a speed dial key and say a number is worth carrying one less device.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Best situation is touching a button on the bluetooth headset and speaking the name and having the headset speak the persons name when a call comes in. Its available now, just not from RIM. I can't imagine what is stalling the Blackberry Connect software from being made widely available.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:06 AM   #9
GenghisKhent
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

I used Voice Command with my PocketPC Phone. It is the one app I miss with my BB 7290. I have T-Mobile, which unlike Cingular has no voice dialing service, so that is not an option for me.

It has been about 3 months since there have been any posts in this thread. Mark or others, any software on the horizon?

Last edited by GenghisKhent; 06-04-2005 at 10:29 AM..
Old 10-30-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
ajpb1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

If im reading correctly, Voice Command will not work in my blackberry 7520. I too am searching for a app that will give me voice activation for calling numbers with my BT. If anyone finds one please post.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #11
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

You are reading it correctly and there is no such horse. For either of your requests.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #12
ajpb1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

Ask and you shall receive...go to mobilevoiceactivation.com they got what we are all looking for her VOICE ACTIVATION FOR NEXTEL 7520.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 PM   #13
Prettynavyboi

Model: 7100i

I'm using this one with my 7520 works great, would like bluetooth support but still better than nothing. http://mobilevoicecontrol.com/index.htm
Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 AM   #14
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Default Only for Nextel :(

I was so excited to go to the website only to find out it is only for Nextel versions of the BB. Anything else out there for non-Nextel models that anyone knows of?
Closed Thread