Old 02-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
crs
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular
Default Software - Set your Reply-to address

Please Login to Remove!

All,

This functionality will become part of PocketDay, but I figured I'd let everyone get a taste...

Do you have more than one email account for your Web Client? If so then this is for you. It's an email extension that let's you set the Reply-To address so when someone gets an email and replies, it can go to any address you want.

Here's how it works. This proram, once installed, will place a new item on the Compose or Edit Email menu called Reply-To Address. For this test version, type in the mail address and friendly name to use and go. That's it.

Nice and simple.

When integrated with PocketDay, you will able to setup 10 different reply-to addresses and quickly select one to use.

Check it out...

Mark

http://www.crossriversystems.com/files/PDMail.zip
Old 02-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
radcamdvd

Great start! Almost there. The only thing is that in Outlook the actual address from which the message was sent is still displayed. This might be confusing to the recipient because as you know, hitting the reply button is Outlook with cause the Reply To address to be populated with the data from your add-in. Now if we could just get Outlook to display that name/address instead of the actual address this would be golden. AFAIK, sans BES/MDS, EmailViewer is the only solution for this right now.

Keep it up!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
crs

I'm still playing with the From address, I haven't figured that part out yet (I'm not sure if I can get that to go).
Old 02-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Excellent! I am going to install this on my BlackBerry!

It is a software utility, so I`m going to be moving this thread to Aftermarket Software. However, I am leaving a link (shadow) in this General forum, because not everyone frequents Aftermarket Software.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #5
berrysurf

Model: 7520

Thanks Tirsch,

I played with it last night and had a few problems.

1. It kept on freezing my Inbox. It would suspend itself for about two minutes and on another trial run I had to just take the battery out.

2. I tried testing the From address to my hotmail account but it still showed my bb reply from address from webclient.

Im using a bb 7520 and I will continue to help you beta test.

Good luck and let me know what I can do to help. We've been needing an app like this for a while.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:08 AM   #6
crs

berrysurf,

You need to hit the return (enter) key, not the OK button, that seems to be broken. Also, you may have PDMail installed and not PDUtils. PDMail was my first attempt, but PDUtils is the right one.

If you have PDMail, un-install it and get PDUtils. It doesn't do anything that should hang your inbox.

There will be a new release later today (Sunday 2/6), so wait for that. Then the OK button will work as well.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
crs

New version (.86) posted.

Can change reply-to if you make a mistake. If you make a mistake select repl-to again and it will show you what you entered before. The OK button now works.

This is called PDUtils. DELETE PDMail before you install PDUtils !!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
DJJeffT
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Do we still downbload this:

http://www.crossriversystems.com/files/PDMail.zip

??????????

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsch
New version (.86) posted.

Can change reply-to if you make a mistake. If you make a mistake select repl-to again and it will show you what you entered before. The OK button now works.

This is called PDUtils. DELETE PDMail before you install PDUtils !!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

yep. it was uploaded on feb 6 at 10am and contains PDUtils files inside.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #10
DJJeffT

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

ok, so I downloaded it.

I uninstalled PDMail, then installed PDUtils. It's installed (although it says it's .85) but when I go to change the REPLY TO address I don't get that option on the menu.

What did I do wrong? Any advice?

Jeff
Old 02-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #11
crs

Folks,

I apologize, I forgot to sign the app, download and install it again...version .87

Mark
Old 02-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #12
RyanNobrega

Hey Tirsch,

This is a GREAT step forward to addressing the From/Reply-to limitation... thanks for the preview!

Here's my initial feedback:

1) Also set the "From:" header in the reply as well as "Reply-to:" (allows the email to truly appear as if it is coming from the address specified by your reply-to extension, which is the behavior sought by most complaining about this limitation)

2) Give the option to use / not use the previously entered custom reply-to address (perhaps a checkbox to toggle betw. the BB normal default and the custom one entered, so you don't have to delete / re-type). Right now it appears the custom entered address becomes the default.

What's the ETA for availability as part of PoketDay?

Ryan
Old 02-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #13
MadMedik
Knows Where the Search Button Is

As soon as the sent from and the reply to become integrated into PocketDay, you'll have a new client here.

Looking forward to it mate,

MM

PS - Most appreciated if you would post here when that has been done.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #14
MadMedik

Default demo only?

Can anyone advise: Does this application actually work for them or is this just a demo that doesn't actually do anything?

I installed version 0.98 today and gave it a go. The menus work for me, but nothing else... I changed the reply to and the Personal name in the menu and hit OK. It shows in the main screen the new reply to address. The personal name does not appear anywhere. I sent the email to another account and checked it. It continued to use all of the BWC default settings, including the From name, address and the reply to address. The information I entered into PDUtils did not appear anywhere on the message or in the header.

My specs:
BB 7290 OS 4.0.0.198 (app)
Rogers Wireless
BWC (No BES/No MDS)

Irrespective of all other greatness that you might include in Pocket Day, getting this to work would be a sure seller to any BWC user, and probably many BES users.

Thanks,

MM
Old 02-16-2005, 04:00 PM   #15
crs

MM,

On the web client you need to have the Reply-to address field empty. Then it will work.

Mark
Old 02-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #16
MadMedik

ahhh.. Right. I guess the BWC was just rewriting over the info that we put in otherwise....

Tested and works. The full package will be great. It will allow me to get rid of the ficticious address in the sent field and possibly the "friendly name" that is associated with the sent from address?

Any horizon for the dawn of the new pocketday?

MM
Old 02-17-2005, 10:50 AM   #17
vinniet

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

I removed the BWC reply-to address and it works great. But the reply-name does not work. I am running .87 version

Strange ... when I do not put any reply-to address it defaults to the one that WAS in BWC not the blackberry one. Why is that?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #18
MadMedik

@ Vin

I assume this is a standard BB thing and not Wireless Provider specific. Take a look at my posts above. Here is the way my BWC works:

I MUST set a default Sent from address. This can be anything, as long as it is in the ___@___.___ format. I MAY input a reply to address as well. With Rogers, one is in the profiles screen and one in the options screen (you know, just to make it fun...) What I was discussing above was that you MUST leave the reply to blank on your BWC provider, or it will replace whatever you have input with PDUtil.

Now, to your question. My BWC states that while I "may" input a reply to, if I choose to leave it blank then it will default to the sent from addy. Fortunately for us, it appears that the BWC does not do this replacement where their reply to is blank, but it has been provided otherwise (in this case, by PD Utils and your BB device. No idea about the name thing. It didn't work for me either and I could find no reason or solution.

I don't know enough about the way the BWC works to know for sure, but I suspect that the sent from addy is going to be more of a challenge to alter, since the BWC (at least Rogers) requires you to input one. Since any processes performed by the BWC come after you send, and before the addressee receives, they get the last word, so to speak. I have seen nothing to suggest that the sent from insertion is conditional in any way on what info you forward up. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not about to wager any paycheque on getting that changed, without a new BWC version being released that incorporates some conditional logic...

MM
Old 02-17-2005, 01:49 PM   #19
vinniet

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Yes I get the BWC side but when I first got my BB my reply-to addy was [email address] ... I changed it thru BWC to [email address]. Now I removed that reply addy ... shouldn't it revert back to the BB addy??

I am glad its working like it does I was curious.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #20
Lopes

Model: 7100t
Carrier: tmobile

When i set my reply to address, about half of it gets cut off in the email composing screen....when sent, there will be no address they can reply to because half of it is lost.
Closed Thread