BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
mindtool

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Exclamation Interesting site... I tried it out and really works good for me...

Please Login to Remove!

I tried this new site out... still in beta mode but pretty cheap for what they're offering...

http://www.ppager.com

They redirect my email so I don't need to use that long-ass nextel.blackberry.net domain name... works pretty good for me. Fast too!

It costs 12 bucks a year... 30 days free...

Its nice because they don't collect any personal information except your name, state, and zip.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
cablsurfin

Model: 7105T

The other option is to set up a Gmail account and just forward it to your blackberry email for free.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
mindtool

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablsurfin
The other option is to set up a Gmail account and just forward it to your blackberry email for free.
Tried that option. Didn't work out very reliabily in my opinion. Gmail had an average delay time of over 30 seconds to as long as 15 minutes because of all the other millions of people using it. I paid the 12 bucks, got really good service. My messages get redirected in less than 15 seconds.

I got in touch with the owner of the system, he says that the system has 550+ customers on it and that's the difference - Gmail pushes millions and millions of emails at a time. While this one only does roughly 15,000 messages a day - plenty of bandwidth to push your messages in 20 seconds or less.

You're free to use whatever you want, it's a free country.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindtool
Tried that option. Didn't work out very reliabily in my opinion. Gmail had an average delay time of over 30 seconds to as long as 15 minutes because of all the other millions of people using it. I paid the 12 bucks, got really good service. My messages get redirected in less than 15 seconds.

I got in touch with the owner of the system, he says that the system has 550+ customers on it and that's the difference - Gmail pushes millions and millions of emails at a time. While this one only does roughly 15,000 messages a day - plenty of bandwidth to push your messages in 20 seconds or less.

You're free to use whatever you want, it's a free country.
Funny you say that, I too use gmail to forward to my BB and I get my mail at the BB faster than the mail actually shows up at the gmail account. Not to say anything about the spam filtering, my spam went from over 200 a day at the bb to maybe 4 a week.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 11-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
corporate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Funny you say that, I too use gmail to forward to my BB and I get my mail at the BB faster than the mail actually shows up at the gmail account. Not to say anything about the spam filtering, my spam went from over 200 a day at the bb to maybe 4 a week.
My gmail account is really speedy as well - forwarded within seconds.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Tried that option. Didn't work out very reliabily in my opinion. Gmail had an average delay time of over 30 seconds to as long as 15 minutes because of all the other millions of people using it.

I got in touch with the owner of the system, he says that the system has 550+ customers on it and that's the difference -
Then you should keep this service a secret. It will slow down when they get more users.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 AM   #7
mindtool

Exclamation Nah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
Then you should keep this service a secret. It will slow down when they get more users.
Nah, owner also mentioned he's got 100Mb/s of bandwidth both ways across 3 redundant servers so highly doubtful that it'd slow down at all. He mentioned he's directly on the Level3 backbone in San Diego, CA. If you tracert to ppager.com, there you go.

Tracert'd to PPager and Google - 14 hops from my IP to PPager's servers and 17 hops to Google's Servers... Hmm... I wonder why Google's stuff might be lagging a little. They seem swift, but still lags a little at peak hours. PPager has been very consistent for me. More than Gmail on average.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:43 AM   #8
tregrad
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: nextel

I dont think mindtool works for this company, do you?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:26 AM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

i use gmail also but it has slowed tremendousdly actually the only reason I keep it is the spam filters
Old 11-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
mindtool

Default Yup...

No, I just met the owner because I had a few simple questions. He runs the joint only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
i use gmail also but it has slowed tremendousdly actually the only reason I keep it is the spam filters
Good to know I'm not the only one that had variable consistency with Gmail.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #11
XDS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Wirelessly posted (7290: BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

There was A company that did paging services and stuff like this A while back And had 800 number services for BB's is this the one ? , Anyone remember ?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:55 AM   #12
corey@12mile

Model: lots

Quote:
Nah, owner also mentioned he's got 100Mb/s of bandwidth both ways across 3 redundant servers so highly doubtful that it'd slow down at all. He mentioned he's directly on the Level3 backbone in San Diego, CA. If you tracert to ppager.com, there you go.

Tracert'd to PPager and Google - 14 hops from my IP to PPager's servers and 17 hops to Google's Servers... Hmm... I wonder why Google's stuff might be lagging a little. They seem swift, but still lags a little at peak hours. PPager has been very consistent for me. More than Gmail on average.
Ya... I know google sucks... they have hardly any servers... only what 10,000 or so... and I am sure that google doesn't have any bandwidth either... you know... they have google racks all over the USA and everything.

OK... here's a more serious view on things... I love the fact that you have used tracert. What does that tell you? That you computer is 3 hops closer... what does that really mean? I am sure you have looked at the physical links between each of the hops on both paths, as well as done some checking to see what kind of devices are used to route along the way and what kind of loads and latency they have too... oh... and let's not forget that it doesn't matter how far your computer is from these IP's you are tracrt'ing to, because the information doesn't go to your computer, it goes to RIM. For all you know, RIM could be 2 hops from google (highly unlikely, but possible).

Everything you mention here totally leads to you being involved in this company somehow... like who who really spend this much time and effort, promoting and defending a buck a month service, if they didn't have something to gain from it.

I think with the number of free email service's out there, individuals would be stupid to pay for email, unless there was something a little more compelling than 'it's faster than gmail'...

I think this thread should be locked and filed in the 'hiding my real identity in the hopes of free advertising' drawer.

cd.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 AM   #13
corey@12mile

Model: lots

OK... let's try this...

Whois for ppager.com, owned by Ian Park of Tempe, AZ.

Do some google'ing...

Found www.mindtoolmile.com, owned by Ian Park of Tempe, AZ.

Seems like this is all kinda the same guy.

I vote ban his ass! Delete this post!

cd.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:36 PM   #14
Nextel User

Model: 8220
Carrier: AT&T

i had variable speed delays with gmail as well... i dont see a reason to pay for a service though. most isp's have an option to autoforward a copy of all incoming email. i do it with comcast....
Old 11-17-2005, 04:43 PM   #15
Roxy_21

Model: 7100i

I like using my long nextel email address, but I might just check that one out too

PIN: 400DEEBA
Old 11-18-2005, 04:20 PM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
OK... let's try this...

Whois for ppager.com, owned by Ian Park of Tempe, AZ.

Do some google'ing...

Found www.mindtoolmile.com, owned by Ian Park of Tempe, AZ.

Seems like this is all kinda the same guy.

I vote ban his ass! Delete this post!

cd.

HAHAHA, good one. What a DA!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:30 PM   #17
cocoaone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t

ya gmail works best for me as well. no complaints
actually very fast and the spam filter is amazing, as has been discussed. just reiterating... ciao
Closed Thread