Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #61
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E

Please Login to Remove!

Its a bit annoying that you are only synchronized to one play list. But this play list is not specific to Mac or PC. You are synchronized only to one playlist in iTunes in one machine and it does not matter if the machine is a Mac or PC. You seem to be implying that its somehow platform biased.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #62
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
Its a bit annoying that you are only synchronized to one play list. But this play list is not specific to Mac or PC. You are synchronized only to one playlist in iTunes in one machine and it does not matter if the machine is a Mac or PC. You seem to be implying that its somehow platform biased.
didnt meant too, i dont own a mac, so i dont know if the touch acts different on a mac then a pc. a.k.a can access from itouch to mac.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #63
rurapente

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodacom SA
Default Mac vs Blackberry

Up until 2 weeks ago, I was the proud owner of an iphone 16GB 3G. Until it wa stolen.

I found it too hard to get a new one at suppliers near me so I bought the Blackberry Curve 8900. I did try the Storm in the shop, but after an iphone that Storm's touch screen felt like skating in a dessert vs on ice.

So here's my 2c.

Text Messaging
---------------
iphone : 5/10
8900 : 9/10
its no contest here, the messaging ability of the blackberry is by far superior. Yes iphone 3.0 software will make that difference smaller but still wont push it past the bb.

Phone Usage
------------
iphone : 8/10
8900 : 7/10
The only reason the iphone scored more points for me is that i could dial out of the phone book in about 1 key presses (to get the phonebook up). unless I dont know how to use my 8900, its a 10-key process to get to menu, phonebook etc. etc. [EDIT - it was my stupidity. ill make this a tie ]

Media Player
------------
iphone : 10/10
8900 : do i really even need to explain this?
Syncing music with blackberry is a mission of note. the player interface is very very far from intuitive and the same headphones showed worse sound quality on the same music files synced from itunes - which took about 2h to get right. (files not modified)

Functionality/Tactileness
-------------------------
Although the iphone had qwerty, and one monster of an amazing touch-screen, having the buttons will always be a winner. Plus the auto-lock of the blackberry in its pouch is very, very handy

Applications
-------------
8900 : 0/10

Unfortunately RIM's great idea of not allowing South Africans access to the app store is the dumbest thing I've heard. If anything, this will shoot down a blackberry vs iphone choice in my mind.

Battery Life
-----------
iphone : 6/10
8900 : 8/10

So far the BB is posting much higher life than my iphone. You can argue various technological reasons for the iphone but im talking strictly usability here.

Looks
------

iphone says "i'm modern, in touch with my entertainment and technology". 8900 says "i'm modern, in touch with my business and technology". i would say looks are irrelevant in this segment.

Ruggedness
-----------

Both phones handle being dropped pretty well. The iphone loses points cause that nice metal back scratches quicker than a 2yr old with a razor blade.

My Verdict
-----------

The fact is, if I had to choose between these two phones, I just could not. Where one fails, the other excels. and vice-versa. Its a hard choice as both are very mature, they run well and do their jobs perfectly.

If I had to give one piece of advise on choice, if you want to look good, iphone. If you want to spend less and get similar if not better business abilities - blackberry.

Time for coffee.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #64
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

I'm really liking this thread. I myself am looking to get into the iphone market while keeping my Bold. I like reading about the iphone to see what people aren't liking.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #65
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

If the 8900 had 3G I would have bought one. Its just lame not to have 3G in this day and age for a smartphone. That's like the iPhone not being to multitask! The Bold on the other hand looks too wide for me.

The iPhone is one of the very few phones in the market that can do 3G in the US, Europe, Asia, Korea and Japan. The other one is the Bold and a few Nokias. The 8900 won't have worked in Korea or Japan.

I'm not seeing how the Curve 8900 is more rugged than the iPhone considering its made more of plastic, while the iPhone is metal and sapphire glass.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:35 AM   #66
rurapente

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodacom SA

I dont know hey drillbit. without cases/protection i feel the iphone would look worse than the BB. then again i've only had the bb 2 weeks now so....

And you can multitask the iphone by jail-breaking it. Jail-Breaking is an awesome way of installing modified software onto your iphone so that it performs differently. In my case the results were amazing. The phone stopped working, when sending a text message it just exited and never sent it. And when the phone did ring, it carried on doing so despite your failed attempts at answering it Oh yes, and hanging up was only achievable by doing a reset....

And yes, im against jail-breaking
Old 05-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #67
alent1234

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

here is my comparison. i have a curve 8330 from work and play with my wife's iphone a lot

apps - iphone wins. better selection, better prices, better games, no reboots to install apps, able to install more apps, etc.

iphone has better screen. RIM needs to offer larger screens

BB lets you run apps in the background. not a big deal for every app, but i use slacker radio with the caching option and listen to music on the train to work while reading a book with mobipocket. can'd to that on the iphone and slacker doesn't cache stations on the iphone. you have to buy from itunes.

corporate email is about the same. iphone also has pop3/imap capability

camera is crappy on both phones, but my BB has a video camera which is a plus. new iphone coming this summer will have video and video editing on the phone

both phones come with crapware

sound quality is about the same

BB battery lasts longer but the iphone recharges a lot faster

starting with the iphone OS3 and probably new hardware you will be able to attach all kinds of attachments to the iphone like blood sugar monitors and the app will do the work. the possibilities are endless and this is a great idea.

no perfect phone out today, nothing perfect on the horizon either. best choices are BB, iphone and winmo. Pre and android need to prove themselves and get dev support. don't really care about nokia

i'm going to wait until next month to make a final judgement about the new iphone, but for now i think it wins the best cell phone award by a nose
Old 05-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #68
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

iTunes can sync any music to your iPhone, regardless where that music comes from. When playing music, the player can do it in the background. Same with podcasts.

A notable app from the Blackberry world, eTrade Mobile Trader is now in the iPhone, and the way it is done, its very good. It makes good use of the iPhone's larger screen and truly shows it. Right about the same time, Wall Street Journal news app has also appeared for the iPhone. Anyway, this shows the great momentum and tremendous gravitational attraction coming from the iPhone's application ecosystem and applications like these shows the iPhone penetrating deeper into the financial professional market, a Blackberry stronghold.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #69
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
both phones come with crapware
What "crapware" does the iphone come with?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #70
blkberryboy

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

iLove my iPhone and iMiss my Blackberry. to me it just an issue of what you want. They are both worth the price iMO.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #71
alent1234

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
What "crapware" does the iphone come with?

the stock and weather app

the TWC weather app is much better apple should get rid of the default one. same thing with the stock app, better ones in the app store

only reason they are there is because the EDGE iphone was an overpriced piece of junk and apple had to put some apps on there. otherwise you were paying $600 for a 8GB ipod that could make phone calls

Last edited by alent1234; 05-20-2009 at 02:52 PM..
Old 05-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #72
krzyd

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurapente View Post
Up until 2 weeks ago, I was the proud owner of an iphone 16GB 3G. Until it wa stolen.

I found it too hard to get a new one at suppliers near me so I bought the Blackberry Curve 8900. I did try the Storm in the shop, but after an iphone that Storm's touch screen felt like skating in a dessert vs on ice.

So here's my 2c.

Text Messaging
---------------
its no contest here, the messaging ability of the blackberry is by far superior. Yes iphone 3.0 software will make that difference smaller but still wont push it past the bb.

Phone Usage
------------
The only reason the iphone scored more points for me is that i could dial out of the phone book in about 1 key presses (to get the phonebook up). unless I dont know how to use my 8900, its a 10-key process to get to menu, phonebook etc. etc. [EDIT - it was my stupidity. ill make this a tie ]

Media Player
------------
Syncing music with blackberry is a mission of note. the player interface is very very far from intuitive and the same headphones showed worse sound quality on the same music files synced from itunes - which took about 2h to get right. (files not modified)

Although the iphone had qwerty, and one monster of an amazing touch-screen, having the buttons will always be a winner. Plus the auto-lock of the blackberry in its pouch is very, very handy

Applications
-------------

Unfortunately RIM's great idea of not allowing South Africans access to the app store is the dumbest thing I've heard. If anything, this will shoot down a blackberry vs iphone choice in my mind.

Battery Life
-----------

So far the BB is posting much higher life than my iphone. You can argue various technological reasons for the iphone but im talking strictly usability here.

Looks
------

iphone says "i'm modern, in touch with my entertainment and technology". 8900 says "i'm modern, in touch with my business and technology". i would say looks are irrelevant in this segment.

Ruggedness
-----------

Both phones handle being dropped pretty well. The iphone loses points cause that nice metal back scratches quicker than a 2yr old with a razor blade.

My Verdict
-----------

The fact is, if I had to choose between these two phones, I just could not. Where one fails, the other excels. and vice-versa. Its a hard choice as both are very mature, they run well and do their jobs perfectly.

If I had to give one piece of advise on choice, if you want to look good, iphone. If you want to spend less and get similar if not better business abilities - blackberry.

Time for coffee.
I have a blackberry, my wife has an iphone, I think that sums it up.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #73
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
the stock and weather app

the TWC weather app is much better apple should get rid of the default one. same thing with the stock app, better ones in the app store

only reason they are there is because the EDGE iphone was an overpriced piece of junk and apple had to put some apps on there. otherwise you were paying $600 for a 8GB ipod that could make phone calls
Yeah, I'm sure that must have been the reason.

And why is the weather app crap? Its simple and it works and that's more then I can say for BB that doesn't include any weather app.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 05-20-2009 at 06:55 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 AM   #74
inezpearl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

i have been working in a mobile software and games distributor so got hands on to test lots of apps for almost all platfroms (not android though) like RIM, iPhone, windows mobile, symbian and java. iPhone apps have clearly taken the lead over others and you can find plenty on which ever category you want. Probably the main reason is that iphone targets entertainment and BB primly targets business segment. Only skype was downloaded 4 million time from itunes but let's see if it can bag more downloads for blackberry client (its beta was to be released in May; any info on its release, anybody?).

I have many friends who are mobile software developers and whenever i talk to them that why there are so many apps for iphone they first things first that its fun and entertainment and you can develop any thing under fun umbrella like iRunLive, iWound, shakelines etc and you can implement these ideas in one week. Reason being BB is all perceived with business stuff you have to make office related apps and have to think in all terms like security etc so it takes time. So its time consuming. This may be one of the reasons why there are less apps in appworld than itunes store.

Another reason of apps not aggressively being developed for blackberry that their platform is not as flexible as others (but few also say developing for BB is easier than iphone). Developing an app for BB is expensive as it takes 200$ to get Test certificate for BB where as it costs around 99$ for iPhone so who developers will choose (but apart from cost factor BB certs are easier to apply)? There are more chances that a solo (not a company) developer would always love to develop for iphone, since downloads are good and its cheap! That's what developers say and probably this can be the prime reason we have seen such a mushroom growth for iphone apps.

But i have always been a fan of blackberry apps. i have tested many many blackberry apps and some iphone as well. To say the truth I keep blackberry app for a longer time than iphone. i would say iphone games rock and blackberry apps win the show, so its a kind of mix for me. Apps which i never deleted are IM+, BB Smart HTML Emaill viewer, WorldMate and recently (not very recently though) i have added Vopium in my list as well. I play games on my iphone whenever i am traveling so no mention of BB games!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #75
benf13

Interesting to note that one of the most downloaded free apps for the iPhone is one that makes "Farting" sounds.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #76
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benf13 View Post
Interesting to note that one of the most downloaded free apps for the iPhone is one that makes "Farting" sounds.
Are you saying that iphone users have a sense of humor?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:14 AM   #77
hakaida442

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

all my iphone buddies are telling me to get one since i've mentioned that my 8800 is slow (no 3g) and doesnt have a phone. the one thing that i do like is that the iphone shows yahoo email folders and the bb doesnt. that would come in handy for me for my job. i have a domain but forward emails to my yahoo account. but i like a physical keyboard and i love today themes. i'm on the fence on what im going to get next. i want to wait for the bb magnum and then make a decision.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #78
PaulMdx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Are you saying that iphone users have a sense of humor?
No, he's saying that iPhone users are puerile. Sadly, you can now get a similar app for the BlackBerry. :(
Old 06-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #79
Mark479

Model: curve
Carrier: rogers
Default Speed Test

there a cool app in both the istore and blackberry app world that lets you test the device data speed. Search "xtremelabs speedtest"
Old 06-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #80
J-Tuning
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: KPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Spot on! One of my pet peeves, besides whiny biatches trying to get data plan features without a data plan, is this incessant desire of clueless owners trying to "iPhone-ize" their Blackberrys. Hell, if you want all the features of an iPhone, get a freakin' iPhone! Blackberrys aren't designed for everybody. That's what makes them so good for the people for whom they are designed. It's a purpose-driven device. It's not a sin to use an iPhone, or a Nokia, or something else, if it better suits your own needs. Get the mobile that best fits your lifestyle. If that's not a Blackberry, that's OK. Really, it is!
Couldnt have said it better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurapente View Post

So here's my 2c.

Text Messaging
---------------

Phone Usage
------------

Media Player
------------

Applications
-------------

Battery Life
-----------

Looks
------

Ruggedness
-----------

My Verdict
-----------

Time for coffee.
Nice comparison, spot on!
Closed Thread