Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Project Management Software

Please Login to Remove!

A blackberry client is being developed for MyLifeOrganized. I don't have anything to do with the company and I'm not currently using the software although I have in the past.

MyLifeOrganized for BlackBerry | Google Groups

Not sure how useful the small screen will be with this program, but I thought it was good when I was using a Windows Mobile phone.

My opinion, this really isn't a typical day-to-day todo list type of program and was geared more towards project tasks. I'll probably give it a try when it is available.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Proj Mgmt Software.. Nice. I could see the use of this (one my work BlackBerry)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
A blackberry client is being developed for MyLifeOrganized. I don't have anything to do with the company and I'm not currently using the software although I have in the past.

MyLifeOrganized for BlackBerry | Google Groups

Not sure how useful the small screen will be with this program, but I thought it was good when I was using a Windows Mobile phone.

My opinion, this really isn't a typical day-to-day todo list type of program and was geared more towards project tasks. I'll probably give it a try when it is available.

Regards-Michael G.

It's like having a kid I know! You've been after this for sometime. I demoed their product some time ago and loved it. Something like this on the berry would put TMX in some jeopardy. So lets hope they do it right from the beginning!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

DBB, good to see you're still around! I see a post every now and again from you but you have been hiding lately, or, just not much to say.

AT&T sent me a Fuze because the BB can't hold a 3G signal in NYC Metro; they insist it is the phone. So, I was checking out MLO again and ran across the BB Client. Not sure the small screen will be so useful as the PPC version was frustrating due to screen size for me. I decided to send the Fuze back, still waiting on a RMA. The incoming sound is too low and both incoming and outgoing sound poor. It needs to be a phone first for me.

As for RW, I wish they'd tell us what's cooking. As you may remember, I don't use TMX as a Project Management tool, it is too limited. Unless the MLO BB client is spectacular, I'll probably stick with TMX and MS Project on a netbook.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Michael,

Have you used the Desktop version of this program? It appears to be a nice "lite" version of project management that would be easier to use than MS Project, but I would rather have someone's take on the software.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Michael,

Have you used the Desktop version of this program? It appears to be a nice "lite" version of project management that would be easier to use than MS Project, but I would rather have someone's take on the software.
djm2, I have used it and it is very very nice. Essentially, you could use it now with your berry by setting up syncing to happen from MLO to your Outlook and then Outlook to Berry. I tired that for a little bit, and ya think I had syncing probs?

mbergasio, I am still around. Just getting my venture off the ground right now and laying low watching what folks do! You know me. If you ask, ask again; if you ask again, then shutup. So with RW I just shut up. Didnt look like much wanted to or was going to happen with all the fires they started with TAS. So I have moved on to, yup, hosted exchange+MindBerry+PocketDay. I must say, no problems, missing or corrupt data - what a change . That's what I like!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Michael,

Yes, I used the desktop and ppc version. If you check out the google group, MyLifeOrganized | Google Groups, they have some really knowledgeable people there.

As my work is project (date) oriented, and I never really got the whole GTD thing. I thought the desktop version was very good in laying out a job and tracking tasks. For my work, I was able to create a few templates and it was easy to just add a new project.

That said, it was kind of a trade off for me. MS Project does take more effort but not a lot more. The payoff is everyone can pretty much open a project file and, without getting into the details of perception vs reality, I can hand someone a gnatt chart they look at it and somewhat "read" it. With the pretty colors and links, they figure we must know what we're doing ;)

Looking at and understanding CPM and project scheduling is a lost art, at least from what I'm seeing. But that's a whole different discussion.

I thought the PPC version of MLO wasn't minimally useful. Back then I was using version 1 so things may have changed. They have (had) a fairly long trial period and it is definitely worth checking out. I may go back to it.

One last comment, I don't mix my day-to-day todo list with my project schedule. I've never found a program that can really do both well. todo list needs to be quick entry, I don't want to do a lot of searching/scrolling/field input as I'm usually writing my list as I'm walking through a job.

Regards-Michael G.

Last edited by mgerbasio; 08-18-2009 at 10:04 AM..
Old 08-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
Didnt look like much wanted to or was going to happen with all the fires they started with TAS. So I have moved on to, yup, hosted exchange+MindBerry+PocketDay. I must say, no problems, missing or corrupt data - what a change . That's what I like!
I was thinking about hosted exchange but google is giving me just about everything I need for my "blackberry experience".

I used PocketDay from when it first came out but had problems with it in one version, maybe v3 or v4. The bugs just lingered for a long time and I moved on. I tried it again but with the today themes and programs like weatherbug, igoogle web page, I really don't see a need for me to use it. I didn't care for their tech support either.

As for RW, I too am a bit disappointed they seemed to have turned their philosophy from one where, as a user, it seemed we were in the development loop. They were much more responsive to suggestions and letting us know where the software was going. That said, I'm still using the products, not using tmx as much as I should, but I use idx on a regular basis. Both programs are rock solid, never ran into a bug and they are quick to fix problems such as updates for new versions of BB OS.

I have considered trying other software out there like evernote(?) that looks like you can embed photos in your notes. I snap shots with my BB all the time on job sites, it would be nice to have these embedded in a note. Just holding out hope RW has some big surprises to roll out soon.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Mike, I saw SlickTasks by Glam Software. It looks nice, has nested tasks for project types of hierarchy and I believe syncs with your tasks natively, I think!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
Mike, I saw SlickTasks by Glam Software. It looks nice, has nested tasks for project types of hierarchy and I believe syncs with your tasks natively, I think!
Thanks, the price is right. I'm not ready to give up on RW yet. However, if this had a real nice template manager, I might be drawn to the dark side

Regards-Michael G.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
Thanks, the price is right. I'm not ready to give up on RW yet. However, if this had a real nice template manager, I might be drawn to the dark side

Regards-Michael G.
I am LMAO
I know the developer and will push him to give some future ideas he may have in mind!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
Soxfan04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I tried SlickTasks thinking that it synced with the native task app. What it will do is a 1 time sync to get your existing native app tasks into the SlickTask app. Any new tasks added via SlickTask do not show up on my native app task list. That has been my experience with it so far. It is a nice looking layout though.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #13
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I thought that I had read that adding a sync to tasks was on his to-do list.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
I thought that I had read that adding a sync to tasks was on his to-do list.
Yes, that was stated here in a thread on the app.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...larm-more.html
Closed Thread