BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #61
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada
Default Re: BlackBerry PlayBook is ‘dead on arrival’, analyst claims.

Please Login to Remove!

I've had a look at all these and I'm not deterred. Actually, it seemed to me the CNet reviews were pretty positive. I can see why the Playbook might not work for some people, and why other tables might be regarded as having distinct advantages. However if you are a Blackberry user now, and are willing to trust that RIM and BB developers will come out with some decent keystone apps, the Playbook looks pretty darn good to me.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #62
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
[...]As long as the hardware is well designed, the software can catch up if you have a good upgrade system. Which, reading between the lines, RIM seems to have come up with for the PlayBook. Kudos to RIM for having the confidence and openness to provide reviewers with early accesss and include them in the software upgrade system.
[...]
Co-CEO Jim Balsillie made another good point about apps which is really worth consideration. He Inquires ... With the PlayBook offering the full web experience, there are many apps that absolutely necessary. Why do you need a YouTube app when you can get YouTube? What benefit will a FaceBook app offer over an actual signing on to FaceBook?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #63
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

I still predict the Playbook will be a flop.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #64
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Very surprising.....
Old 04-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #65
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

As society get more and more accustomed to using Apps, the more people think they need them and this includes YouTube. I would hope RIM realizes this and starts offering incentives to developers to produce them.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #66
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
I would hope RIM realizes this and starts offering incentives to developers to produce them.
Er... they did: Free BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Offer.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #67
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Well the media seems to be doing everything in their power to make that come true.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #68
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Well the media seems to be doing everything in their power to make that come true.
The media has been predicting the demise of Blackberry almost as long as they've been predicting California will fall into the Pacific Ocean. I had this discussion with an engineer from work (who thinks the same as the media) over lunch trying to understand where these ideas come from. His idea was basically if they can't sell more units than Apple (more Playbooks than iPads or more Blackberries than iPhones) then the company is doomed. But that is just silly.

Can't wait till I get mine tomorrow!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #69
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

It is funny. I still can't get over how the fact that the Playbook adds value to your BlackBerry service is turned into a glaring flaw.

I have non-blackberry user friends and co-workers telling me the Playbook will be useless if you don't have a BlackBerry. Let me see, does their ipad enhance their capabilities with their iphone?

I'm in awe of the bridge just on the little I've learned. The use of the bridge to in effect "thether" without tethering via DUN is too cool. I expect more happy surprises.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-18-2011 at 05:56 AM..
Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #70
AndyMulhearn

Model: 9300
Carrier: O2

As an iPad/Curve owner it's interesting to read this debate and some of the misconceptions about why the Playbook is seen by many to be a flawed device and for me it's a bit of a disappointment

1, adding value to your Blackberry service is not a flaw and nothing I've read has suggested as such. However, making that the only route to your email through your tablet is a flaw because it significantly reduces the size of the market to which RIM can sell your product. In a market sector that is dominated by one product, the iPad, why would a vendor want to deliberately reduce their potential customer base?

2, the bridge sounds like a nice bit of tech but I'd stay away from anything like that. As I stand at the moment, I have a 3G iPad and Curve. Connecting to the internet does not use any of my Curve battery life - bluetooth is turned off, no extensive 3G data usage. As soon as you start going down the route of tethering to get connected, it's less convenient and you run down your phone's battery into the bargain.

Both of these points make me think that the only reason RIM have gone down this route is that they can't sell the Playbook with BIS connectivity because there's no way to charge the customer for the service once they buy it. "You mean I pay for this, and then pay you £5 per month just to get my email? I'm off to buy an iPad/Xoom/whatever." Providing email access without that charge would not sit well with BB users, like me, who have already signed up to two year contracts including the BB charge.

As to the app store, as some have rightly said, a handful of very good apps is better than thousands of crap ones. You only have to browse the Ovi app store for Nokia to see a massive app store fail. However, there is a perception that you need to have an ecosystem around connected devices and it needs to be a good one. Having a limited starting point and not being able to run BB apps is not going to attract the paying customers.

From my point of view it looks like a nice device that is being rushed to market and hasn't been thought through properly. And I rather hoped it would be one of the devices that would keep Apple on their toes.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #71
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Point taken that some things aren't where they should be at upon release, such as a native email client. But those things are coming.

You missed my point on the added value being turned into a flaw. I'm saying a lot of people don't get it and either mistakenly see the mating with the BlackBerry handset as something that is essential, or they are being disingenuous.

I fully expect the PlayBook to be able to operate as a standalone computer, with the bridge being a plus.

EDIT: by the way, I don't see the lack of a native email client as a huge deal, especially since one will be added/available soon. In the mean time, if I have to, I'll access email (except the carrier's blackberry.net email) via the browser, as I do now on the netbook I've been using.

I think RIM's attitude was don't let perfect get in the way of good enough, for release that is.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-18-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #72
torberry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMulhearn View Post

Both of these points make me think that the only reason RIM have gone down this route is that they can't sell the Playbook with BIS connectivity because there's no way to charge the customer for the service once they buy it. "You mean I pay for this, and then pay you £5 per month just to get my email? I'm off to buy an iPad/Xoom/whatever." Providing email access without that charge would not sit well with BB users, like me, who have already signed up to two year contracts including the BB charge.
We are the same- ipad 3g and blackberry.

It would be nice to not have to pay $40+/month to use 3G though. Can someone direct to a way to use my blackberry 3G account instead, ie tether?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #73
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Some carriers charge for tethering.

A brindge connection will not be charged.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #74
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
2, the bridge sounds like a nice bit of tech but I'd stay away from anything like that. As I stand at the moment, I have a 3G iPad and Curve. Connecting to the internet does not use any of my Curve battery life - bluetooth is turned off, no extensive 3G data usage. As soon as you start going down the route of tethering to get connected, it's less convenient and you run down your phone's battery into the bargain.
Don't know what happened to Andy. Dropped in to share some of his wisdom, but didn't want to stick around for the discussion, I guess. We seem to be seeing a lot of that.

Actually, battery life on both PlayBook and the BlackBerry 9700 running OS 5 is more than adequate when continually bridged on BIS and no wifi in use. My conditions of use are BlackBerry handset holstered and playing podcasts from the BlackBerry podcasts app, PlayBook on short cycle screen dimming and standby timeouts when on battery, with frequent email reading and sending via the PlayBook, and occasional bridge browser use checking news one or two times an hour.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #75
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Spent an hour with a PB this weekend. Flash videos worked (slowly), Flash ads really slowed down the loading of many webpages I tried, and most Flash apps I tried didn't work at all, don't know if this is a mobile Flash limitation but it seems like "full web" really just means "plays Flash videos". Didn't have a BB to test against so couldn't test the productivity features. Browser and many apps very jittery and clunky. NFS game clunky. I really liked the bezel gestures, but multitouch gestures would be a nice addition as well. Found the sound of the onscreen keyboard clicks very satisfying for some reason. Loaded a bunch of apps and started seeing weird behaviour like apps opening very slowly, one app (Tetris) quit with no notification, and the browser hiccupped badly.

My opinion, bottom line: basically worthless without a BB phone. Even if you're an enterprise BB user or BES admin, the Playbook feels like a very beta piece of kit with extremely limited applications, if you've managed to go without a tablet until now you can surely wait another 6 months until the OS stabilizes and app developers hopefully start to fill in the cracks.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #76
OVERKILL
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauser View Post
Spent an hour with a PB this weekend. Flash videos worked (slowly), Flash ads really slowed down the loading of many webpages I tried, and most Flash apps I tried didn't work at all, don't know if this is a mobile Flash limitation but it seems like "full web" really just means "plays Flash videos". Didn't have a BB to test against so couldn't test the productivity features. Browser and many apps very jittery and clunky. NFS game clunky. I really liked the bezel gestures, but multitouch gestures would be a nice addition as well. Found the sound of the onscreen keyboard clicks very satisfying for some reason. Loaded a bunch of apps and started seeing weird behaviour like apps opening very slowly, one app (Tetris) quit with no notification, and the browser hiccupped badly.

My opinion, bottom line: basically worthless without a BB phone. Even if you're an enterprise BB user or BES admin, the Playbook feels like a very beta piece of kit with extremely limited applications, if you've managed to go without a tablet until now you can surely wait another 6 months until the OS stabilizes and app developers hopefully start to fill in the cracks.
Interesting... We've had none of these issues with the four we have. My wife even used mine for some of her Facebook games.

What OS version was on the one you were using?
Blackberry user since 2001.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #77
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I suspect some of the slowness people are reporting has to do with the speed of their internet / wifi connection. I have very fast fiber internet at home and a wireless N router and have no problems on my PlayBook with flash being slow or slowing down web pages. Yesterday I was using it at Starbucks connected to their ATT wifi and it was very slow. I lot of the public wifi networks are still using wireless g and in some cases wireless b protocol. It makes a very big difference in the speed in my experience.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #78
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I suspect some of the slowness people are reporting has to do with the speed of their internet / wifi connection. I have very fast fiber internet at home and a wireless N router and have no problems on my PlayBook with flash being slow or slowing down web pages. Yesterday I was using it at Starbucks connected to their ATT wifi and it was very slow. I lot of the public wifi networks are still using wireless g and in some cases wireless b protocol. It makes a very big difference in the speed in my experience.
I have to agree with dapne on this one. I picked up a PlayBook while travelling and used it mainly on public and hotel Wi-Fi for two weeks. There was a lot of performance variablility but that was also noticed by my travelling compaions who were using laptops, iPhones, or Androids. And on my own BlackBerry. DNS performance had a big impact on sites with metrics, adds or that aggregated data for display.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #79
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL View Post
Interesting... We've had none of these issues with the four we have. My wife even used mine for some of her Facebook games.

What OS version was on the one you were using?
Whatever it shipped with, it was fresh out of the box. I should have taken video, next time I get my hands on it I'll do so.
Closed Thread