BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #21
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: BlackBerry PlayBook is dead on arrival, analyst claims.

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
With the ipad 2 announced today and the price reduction of the ipad 1 to $399, the Playbook just might be DOA.

iPad 2 announced, original iPad price drops. Tablet game over. | ZDNet
It's all about leveraging the platform (hardware and OS)

QNX is far more powerful than iOS. The Dual-Core processor in Playbook I would almost bet is still better than the A5 chip.

Apple has the advantage of being "first" once again.

We will see what happens over the next 6 months. With big companies using the PlayBook because they can have in-house apps built, the iPad falls apart.

I've always asked the question, how do you control an iPad in a corporate environment. You don't. You have your users plugging in with their iTunes account, loading their pirated music and fart apps... great, what a productive tool.

PlayBook (I would think) would can load up with REAL software for your staff to use without the worry of them messing around.

In a corporate environment, you want control over your devices.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Colonel Panic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Why has the entire computer industry dropped the ball so badly with tablet pcs? PC Mag had an article on Ipad competitors and 99% weren't even available yet. The computing industry is supposed to be about innovation and fast advancement, yet everyone seems to be standing there watching Apple and playing catch up (badly).
Old 03-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #23
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

QNX is far more powerful than iOS. The Dual-Core processor in Playbook I would almost bet is still better than the A5 chip.

We will see what happens over the next 6 months. With big companies using the PlayBook because they can have in-house apps built, the iPad falls apart.

I've always asked the question, how do you control an iPad in a corporate environment. You don't. You have your users plugging in with their iTunes account, loading their pirated music and fart apps... great, what a productive tool.

PlayBook (I would think) would can load up with REAL software for your staff to use without the worry of them messing around.

RIM has roared back despite BlackBerry skeptics -- The Buzz - Mar. 3, 2011
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #24
brownkc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT

The previous message surprised me. The chart in the link further confused me. So, I pulled up Morningstar to look at the numbers.

The article appears to state that RIM stock has increased faster than Apple stock since the January 1st. Morningstar's year to date performance (2 months) indicates 11% growth for RIM and 11.6% for AAPL, not quite the numbers in the article. I also checked growth over the last year just in case I misread the article; RIM is -14.5% and AAPL is 64%. RIM has definitely bounced back in the last couple of months and hopefully the introduction of the Playbook will keep the numbers up but I still think the article is a little misleading.

Last edited by brownkc; 03-07-2011 at 09:07 AM..
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #25
blackberryfreeware
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-mobile

I think RIM has made some strategic mistakes in terms of the Playbook's release date but they can still make up for this by pricing the Playbook cheaper than the Ipad2. They can also use their very strong relationships to carriers outside the US to get the Playbook to as many customers as they can.

Make the price low and win new users. But I can't help thinking about Robert Scoble's article "No Apps = no Sale" But if RIM can make android apps run on the Playbook it would really bring in more customers.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:14 AM   #26
twola

Model: bold
Carrier: tmobile

One can not believe rumors like this.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #27
Jdjeff

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

I'm hardly a Apple fanboy, and I've had BBs since the pager days. But I also have an iPad (now an iPad2). While I acknowledge a lot of valid points re: apple and their hardware/approach etc..., there is no doubting that from the perspective of apps, particularly in terms of ease of finding, buying, using and updating them, Apple has it all over RIM. On my Torch (and I've had several), there are very few apps that don't run without some sort of issue. And searching for them is usually a pain. And updating them is a pain. But that being said my BB does a lot of things very, very well. But my tablet also does some of those same things very well, in addition to some things my BB is not very useful for. Finding apps is fast and easy. Updating them is a one step process. The apps just work right (with very few exceptions) and provide a better environment for using them (mostly on the basis of speed and screen real estate). I would love to see the PlayBook succeed, but I think the apps will be the differentiator. It may not be DOA, but it certainly will have a hill to climb.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #28
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
OK - let's go with that point for argument's sake. Can you name five apps that exist on Android or Iphone that doen't exist on the BB and would be considered a "must have" app?
You don't get it. Stats show that consumers download something like 100 iOS apps a year for their devices, and are paying billions of dollars for the privilege. The bulk of that revenue is not going to five apps or even hundreds, it's going to tens of thousands of apps out of the hundreds of thousands in the app store.

It's tempting to think of a tablet as just another business PC, where you load Windows, Office and IE on it and you're done. Do so at your peril, at least in the increasingly important consumer space; today everyone knows what an iPad is and what it can do, and they won't be willing to settle for a BB tablet with a handful of apps that someone else has decided are "must haves".

Last edited by Hauser; 03-29-2011 at 09:13 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #29
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post

The QNX NDK is not available at launch, meaning most customers' first impressions will be based entirely on Web Work apps, emulated Android apps, Adobe Air apps and the limited number of bundled apps provided by RIM, very of which will be able to hold a candle to the polish and performance of similar apps developed in native code for the very fast iPad 2. No ETA for when that NDK will be available.

QNX may be "more powerful" than iOS but there's more to an OS than just the power of the kernel, otherwise we'd all be running Linux on our desktops today. Has RIM even announced a coding tool for QNX for example? Where's the documentation on their UI framework(s)? What operating systems will their toolchain run on, will I need to buy a Windows machine to write QNX code for the PB? Here's a taste of what PB developers are facing currently.

Apple's working at making iPad easy to deploy in enterprise, and while you may not have the same level of control that you get with a BB, good IT groups can secure these devices pretty well and after all it's not the enterprise rank and file who are targets for this sort of device at present.

In my opinion RIM literally has to do everything right with the Playbook and not coast on inertia or hubris to stand even a chance in the tablet market. The game has changed and RIM is in the unenviable position of having to change with it while supporting the old party line, I'm not sure they're up to the task from what I've seen so far.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #30
sototoro

Carrier: AT&T

Regarding the article, what a crock of sh%t. The Bridge is the best thing the PB has going for it. And Yes, you will have 3G access utilizing your BB Smartphone......allegedly.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #31
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

But
Isn't it just a little sad that you had to say allegedly?

Isn't it concerning that developers are posting frustration at a lack of development environment while pre-orders are being taken?

Isn't it distressing that on this forum of enthusiasts that even we don't know the "state of the playbook" it's capabilities, advantages,... when units are about to ship

Isn't it depressing to think that if I don't know then the general public ipad consumer is in a total information vacuum?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #32
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

No, no, no, and no.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #33
Robert_K

Model: 8830

So far from what I've gathered there are no real BES IT policy controls for the PlayBook just an IT policy for the bridge and its the only tablet the requires you own and tether another BlackBerry to it to get full functionality.... Lame. People don't want to be tied down. These devices are supposed to be designed to let you do business on the go. No iPad or Android tablet requires you to own their brand smartphone to get full functionality.

I have a Nook Color running Android Honeycomb that can do just about everything the PlayBook/iPad can with the exception of being able to take pictures. It cost me $235 and does everything I need it too without missing a beat.

I've been working with BlackBerries for 4 years now and as much as I hate to say it, if RIM has put all their faith in the PlayBook.. its time to say goodbye and wait for Dell or some other floundering PC company to buy them out. With the Good Technology servers already offering BES level security to other smartphone platforms and Motorola about to release their 3LM product for Android you will see even more people moving to Android and iOS based products.

BlackBerry = Palm
Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM   #34
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by sototoro View Post
...The Bridge is the best thing the PB has going for it. ....
I agree and this feature has me salivating. As soon as I confirm that in my company I can use the bridge with my Bold [and be policy compliant] I am there.

So why instead of people screaming "yeah I can comply with security and have my mail on a large easy to use display that I can also..." do we instead hear "what no NATIVE e-mail", "what no NATIVE calendar"

The marketing/PR has been ghastly.

I'm rooting for this device. I would much rather have this over a Nook.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #35
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

I`ve got an iPad. My wife plays Majong on it. Mind you her grip on it is very tight.

Going to RIM next week, hope to have some face time with the PlayBook. I have to be able to kick the tires before I decide.

That said, stock and business analysts are more about predicting how the herd of investors will behave so their clients can make money, than predicting how the herd of consumers will react to a product. It is easy to predict that the iWhatever will sell in huge numbers. What matters to me, is can a device help me work more efficiently so I can a) pay for it and b) spend more time with my family. As great a devcie as the iPad is it just does not do that for me. YMMV
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #36
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post

I have a Nook Color running Android Honeycomb that can do just about everything the PlayBook/iPad can with the exception of being able to take pictures. It cost me $235 and does everything I need it too without missing a beat.
And I have a Vespa that can do just about everything a Ducati 1198 SP can do. Yeah, more people buy Harley's but my Vespa does the job and you sure don't need a Ducati.

(This message for all the motorcycle fans out there)

Jester
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #37
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauser View Post
You don't get it. Stats show that consumers download something like 100 iOS apps a year for their devices, and are paying billions of dollars for the privilege. The bulk of that revenue is not going to five apps or even hundreds, it's going to tens of thousands of apps out of the hundreds of thousands in the app store.

It's tempting to think of a tablet as just another business PC, where you load Windows, Office and IE on it and you're done. Do so at your peril, at least in the increasingly important consumer space; today everyone knows what an iPad is and what it can do, and they won't be willing to settle for a BB tablet with a handful of apps that someone else has decided are "must haves".
You don't get it. There are few, apps available to one system that are not available on another system that have any practical value. My BB has great GPS apps, great office apps, great voice to text apps, great anything apps. I DON'T NEED 100,000 of them to perform a specific function. I just need 1.

With all the available apps on the Iphone, what can it do that the BB can't?

Sometimes way more is just plain superfluous.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #38
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
With all the available apps on the Iphone, what can it do that the BB can't?
Run OmniFocus. Or Things. Or Angry Birds. Or MoneyWell. Or...

And no, the titles on the BlackBerry that mimic these apps on the iPhone are not even close to being as good.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #39
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Had my hands on a PlayBook today. Can't wait for the release date now. It does everything I was expecting from the iPad but that the iPad didn't deliver (which doesn't include Angry Birds). Much better form factor too, but that's just my opinion.

If the iPad does it for you, then by almeans get an iPad.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #40
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Run OmniFocus. Or Things. Or Angry Birds. Or MoneyWell. Or...

And no, the titles on the BlackBerry that mimic these apps on the iPhone are not even close to being as good.
Sorry sir - but you did not answer the question. None of those apps can do anything that the Blackberry cannot do. All you did was mention specific apps that are not available on BB.

Moneywell is a personal financing app. There are other apps that do the same thing but doesn't mean that they are mimicking.

Things is an app that serves as sort of mobile organizer. Outlook syncs just fine with my desktop manager from BB. No mimicking there.

Angry Birds is simply a game and is hardly a "must have" app of any sort.

The point is (again), the abundance of apps for the sake of sheer numbers is an overrated advantage if at all. You don't need 300 billion apps to do 40 things. Moreover, it's just a matter of time before the apps become available to BB now that they finally understand that touch screens are the way to go.
Closed Thread