Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
savidon
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Worth getting Storm now?

Please Login to Remove!

I know this is a very subjective topic, but I am in the process of considering whether to switch to Verizon from ATT and wondering, if I do, should I get the Storm, or just stick with the Curve, which I am happy with at the moment.

I've read many of the positive and negative comments, and would like to get some opinions on whether or not its worth looking at the Storm now, or waiting until the next version is released.

I don't mean to start an endless debate, but any ideas/comments/thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Pravius

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

I am going to be completely honest with you and I may get flammed for doing it. Ask yourself these questions:

1. AM I comfortable with doing software upgrades on the storm?
2. Do I need a Blackberry or can I use another smart phone?

The reason why I say #1 is because the .75 release from my experience has been awful. It is extremely slow however it is stable (if that makes sense?). If you are comfortable with doing software upgrades to phones I would say go for it.

Number 2 there are times I wish I was on AT&T just because of the Iphone. I look at the app support for Iphone with the integration of Itunes and drool. Now RIM is working toward a solution to this and I am confidant that soon we will have alot of apps but we need some developer support for it first.

There are just my personal opinions. Storm is a great phone but you just need to have some patience. Verizon is an amazing network which is why I am sticking with them (I live in the b00ney's).
Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Its a preference thing. If you like your Curve, why change??

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Cory

Model: 9950
PIN: 30FD6DBB

I can't see getting a Storm now. My NE2 is up the end of July and I was all set to get a Storm, but now that I've seen and read about the S2, I MUST wait! I know technology updates all of the time, but it would just seem foolish to me to buy a "yearend" model now when a new one is around the corner. It may be until Sept - Nov, but with the new Palm and iPhone models coming out, the rumours of a June - July showing seem possible.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
pearlinSen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Its a preference thing. If you like your Curve, why change??
Correct. The question isnt do you NEED a new phone but rather do you WANT one. If you want a Storm you're going to need a little patience. Also, the storm 2 (codename: odin) is in the works so you have time to save some money.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Suggest you peruse the 9500 section and look at the issues surrounding the Storm and its use and see if it pertains to you and how you will use it. As said above, it is a preference thing.

You could always get one on a trial basis and see how you like it. I think Verizon gives you 30 days?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by savidon View Post
I know this is a very subjective topic, but I am in the process of considering whether to switch to Verizon from ATT and wondering, if I do, should I get the Storm, or just stick with the Curve, which I am happy with at the moment.

I've read many of the positive and negative comments, and would like to get some opinions on whether or not its worth looking at the Storm now, or waiting until the next version is released.

I don't mean to start an endless debate, but any ideas/comments/thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
hmm depends on how your going to look at it. i feel that the hardware wise there is not going to be much of a change other then the suretype is gone . as for the OS and performance of the OS on the hardware it might be the same old game. if your going to be using it on the ATT network then your stuck to a limited amount of OS that will hold a good connection as i have tested all of them in the past 3 days. i even almost bricked my storm.. if your really looking into buying one the new one might not be out for a while, if you can wait i would and look at both units and see which one you want being that the storm is around 300 which is not bad.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
recondo

Carrier: TMobile

Just my two cents...I also debated and was quite happy with my 8900 before making the switch.

The 8900 had the 256mb of memory, super sharp screen, no issues but...

I wanted the full screen experience and surfing the net on the small screen was difficult. I made the jump preparing for the worst, in fact I just switched last week and have kept my 8900 just in case it was as bad as other reviewers suggested.

I'm happy to post that after 2 weeks and a couple of OS upgrades, I'm QUITE PLEASED with the results. I'm running on the .148/.90 hybrid OS and loving it. I don't even miss the WIFI or UMA.

However, I'm a tech junkie and enjoy upgrades, tinkering with settings, etc...

To each there own...good luck in your process...
Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: Orange

I think you should wait for the Storm 2, or for the BlackBerry Tour depending if you want to switch to touchscreen or if you'd like to go on with a hard QWERTY.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
acg2010

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I'd wait. No harm in waiting if your curve and ATT are working currently.

That way you don't have a Storm or Curve and find out the Storm 2 is amazing, or even if its not, at least then you'll have all the options, since many say its not very far off. I'd at least wait a month or two.

JMO

Last edited by acg2010; 05-28-2009 at 02:40 AM..
Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by savidon View Post

I think at this point, I'd rather have the S2 if it has wifi, still has the click screen (hope, hope), and has a better OS.
Closed Thread