earpon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 24B4E64D
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teskew
I'm waiting for the RIM to put out the AOL and Yahoo add on..
You got that right. If that comes out, I might be using that most of the time as I really like the GUI. Very clean.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #22
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

It's close between IM+ and Verichat, and I've just decided and bought IM+. Webmessenger is 3rd imho.
Verichat I think has a better inteface and is more intuitive. But I didn't find it as reliable as IM+. I don't like the idea of missed messages, as that can cause confusions and misunderstandings. Overall that was what I found was the biggest difference between the two.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #23
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

I bought Verichat for my 7100t and my Treo 650 and it has been bullet proof. There seems to be some opertaional differences between the palm and BB versions.

Question: When you say that verichat disconnects you - do you mean the device client appears disconnected or you have actually been logged off the verichat server?

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 04-10-2005, 07:05 PM   #24
SchmutzBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
I bought Verichat for my 7100t and my Treo 650 and it has been bullet proof. There seems to be some opertaional differences between the palm and BB versions.

Question: When you say that verichat disconnects you - do you mean the device client appears disconnected or you have actually been logged off the verichat server?
You get disconnected from the verichat server, which then disconnects you from msn or whatever. Verichat, like IM+ will then try to reconnect you. This happens with all of them, but I found Verichat did it more often than most. Actually Webmessenger did it the most for me. IM+ set to HTTP, rather than TCP/IP, seemed to be the most reliable for me, about twice as much as Verichat. I would suggest each user test the program to see what works best for them as I would imagine it might vary due to carrier. If you find reliablity is as good for you on Verichat, then I think it has the best interface of the bunch.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:08 PM   #25
SchmutzBerry

ps. what I mean by best interface is that when you press the escape button, it doesn't shut down the program, it simply takes you back to your last program. and, to send messages, all you have to do is press the enter key, not the scroll key. I wish all programs would work like that, why don't they? that should be standard, and there shouldn't be variance. just a little beef. if that was more standard, you can do things more automatically and faster.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #26
SchmutzBerry

I've just discovered the control+enter sends the message without using the menu key, so I'm even happier now about my purchase. Now if they only fixed the escape key.
I'll stop posting now, but I think the main point is that all these programs are excellent overall, you need to test which one works best for you.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #27
pcnetgeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

ok .. so as i said webmessenger was rebooting my BB..

IM+ V2.1: i keep getting an error about an exception caught.. something about push .. blah .. trying verichat now.

I also noticed since upgrading to the BB7520, email viewer will sometimes present a dns error .. but i will post results using verichat as i load it up and try it out.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:43 PM   #28
pcnetgeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question

Ok,

So i downloaded Verichat from here: http://www.pdaapps.com/ota/VeriChat.jad

Loaded OTA no problem couldnt load it through application loader. Got an error about cannot load due to missing files..

so, its logged in and seems to work way quicker then webmessenger and im+ ..

but there is one thing i dont like and have not found out how to do.

When someone messages you, in the bottom it says who messaged you and what they said, it then disappears; how can you get a list of "last received messages" and by whom they were sent? possible?

EDIT:Sorry, disregard that.. it was in preferences..

But is there a way to set an alert on receiving new messages?

Last edited by pcnetgeek; 04-10-2005 at 09:00 PM..
Old 04-11-2005, 07:32 AM   #29
pcnetgeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

So using Verichat as i said... seemed to worked for a little while, now Yahoo, ICQ and Aim wont connect. Also still trying to find out if any sort of alert/vibration is available on new messages.

So, as it stands for me.. none of these 3 apps work ..

very dissappointed at this point.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #30
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcnetgeek
Well,

Just loaded up webmessenger and yes, it crashed my BB7520 Nextel. Serveral attempts did the same.

Just thought i'd add my experience .. looking toward the IM+ V2.1 at this point will let you know how that works out.

I am glad you postyed this cause mine has been doing same thing since I installed it NOL works just fine but cant always get on webmessenger
Old 04-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #31
jibi
BlackBerry God

Carrier: AT&T

VeriChat's stability in the connectivity area should be improved once they go to a single-socket model (like IM+ is currently). I cannot fathom disconnects with only one of the services connected, though... that may point signs to signal or a person having too many application connections open at one time.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:14 AM   #32
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
VeriChat's stability in the connectivity area should be improved once they go to a single-socket model (like IM+ is currently). I cannot fathom disconnects with only one of the services connected, though... that may point signs to signal or a person having too many application connections open at one time.
no the disconnects come when webmessenger is the only program running and I have full strength signal most of the time. its really the BB crashes that agrivate me the most. I am using im+ at the moment and i love it just cant stand the price.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #33
SchmutzBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
I disagree. My experience is otherwise, even with only one service connected. IM+ is the most stable of the bunch.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #34
briandor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
no the disconnects come when webmessenger is the only program running and I have full strength signal most of the time. its really the BB crashes that agrivate me the most. I am using im+ at the moment and i love it just cant stand the price.
You can't stand the price? IM+ is the best priced of all of them. IM+ is a little more up front but you only pay once vs. the others charging yearly fees.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:41 PM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

no I cant stand paying for something I dont use but everyonce in a while thats high for once or twice a month!
Old 04-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #36
briandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
no I cant stand paying for something I dont use but everyonce in a while thats high for once or twice a month!
Then you are saying you can't stand the price of any of them. You might try finding a midlet that works for you. I found QSM which is a jabber client that seemed ok. Toughest part is finding a public jabber server that has all the IM services you want to use. I could usually find AOL and MSN but not AOL, MSN, and Yahoo together.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #37
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmutzBerry
I disagree. My experience is otherwise, even with only one service connected. IM+ is the most stable of the bunch.
Agreed. Although now I have trouble connecting to their servers on 2.1 after installation today. awaiting customer service to get back to me. bummer.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #38
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Nextel

Has anyone received this message on IM+2.1?

"Uncaught exception. Attempt to push Screen while already displayed!"

CSR just sent me a patch to fix this. I'm on Nextel 7520.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:39 PM   #39
briandor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee309
Has anyone received this message on IM+2.1?

"Uncaught exception. Attempt to push Screen while already displayed!"

CSR just sent me a patch to fix this. I'm on Nextel 7520.
I got it a few times a while back but haven't seen it since then. I am on T-mobile though.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:07 AM   #40
earpon
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24B4E64D
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor
I got it a few times a while back but haven't seen it since then. I am on T-mobile though.
I've seen it a couple of times but it's no biggie though. As long as I don't need to do a hard reset, it's all good.
Closed Thread