BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #41
hottaco69

Model: 7105t
Lightbulb Home Page for the BB 7105t

Please Login to Remove!

Is there any way to just hit the browser button on your device and it go automatically to your homepage with out having to jump through the bookmarks page? Kind of like when you open up your IE on a computer, it going to msn.com or in my case pda.accuweather.com?

Oh, Yeah, also I wanted to know in the 'Profiles' Section, When your editing your sound profile, what exactly does the 'Browser' option do? I've set it up to make a sound thinking it would make it when the web page loaded, but it never did...What on earth is it for? Also, there is an option for 'Level 1 Messages', please elaborate. Thanks for taking the time =)

Last edited by hottaco69; 12-19-2005 at 10:09 PM..
Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 AM   #42
stephane

Model: 7290

Hey Mark,

Thanks a lot.
I could not see my Browser and I talked to many people. including my service provider who had no clue on how to fix this.
I simply followed your steps and it now works fine.

Thanks man.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #43
ctfsdude
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r
Angry grayscale on 8700r unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgray
We are currently running Cingular devices (7280, 7290, 7100, 8700) on our internal Exchange network and BES 3.6. We force an itpolicy which removes the "internet browser" and the "mmode" browser, leaving only the "blackberry browser" using our internal proxy. By the way, reloading the firmware on a wiped device will bring back all 3 browsers at least until the itpolicy is pushed back down again.

Our latest issue: For some reason, the higher resolution devices (7100, 8700) only load page images as grayscale, or black and white, when using the BlackBerry Browser regardless of whether we browse internal or external sites. I assume that's to allow for quicker browsing, but we don't want quicker browsing, we want the page to show up the way it is suppose to - the way it shows up on the 7290s. As an example, we have a site where our BlackBerry users can see a graphical representation of how our stock is doing. Looks great on the 7290, but looks horrible on the 8700 and the 7100. It only shows up correctly if you wheel-click in the browser and select "Full Image" or something like that.

Any ideas?

I have searched and searched and searched, but the keywords I've been using seem to be fairly generic and usually I get lost in articles that do not seem to apply.

Thanks again...
I am having the same issue, I have no idea how to enable the color graphics on the 8700r unit, other units have no issues, 7780 or 7750 all seem to work fine using the blackberry browser. I have check all the mds settings on the server and restarted the service to see if it would resolve the problem.
does your bes have service pack 3 hotfix1? Mine does, but we are on a domino environment, hotfix2 has been released and I plan to implement this mid January, Im not sure if that hotfix did anything to mds.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #44
ctfsdude
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r
Post Finally fixed.

tgray,

Can you see if your corporate firewall is blocking access to www.blackberry.net
That was the issue with mine, i noticed in the MDAT logfiles that it was always trying to reach www.blackberry.net to load xml profiles for the blackberry units, like the 8700 units.
This fixed my issue. I hope it helps you out.

url that mds is trying to reach for 8700 units

EVENT = Unable to load external DTD, schema, or entity source [null,http://www.blackberry.net/go/mobile/profiles/uaprof/8700/4.1.0.rdf]>

Last edited by ctfsdude; 12-28-2005 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: included url
Old 01-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #45
bberry

Model: 9000
Carrier: singtel

hi, anyone has an aswer to this elementary question:
can a blackberry device be used to surf the web without a data plan from a carrier?
in other words, can you get online with a lower-case gprs network connection, not GPRS. why is the browser ``disabled'' in the device, even if your SIM card is enabled for browsing in ``other normal'' handhelds'' i.e. the nokias and motorolas...thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #46
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Question Certificate Authentication

I have a number of websites that require client authentication by using a certificate signed by the server. Is there any way to import a client certificate into a BlackBerry and get it recognized as one of "My Certs" in Security Options - Certificates without using BES and sMime?

Tks.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:28 PM   #47
CCIBBTech

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberry
hi, anyone has an aswer to this elementary question:
can a blackberry device be used to surf the web without a data plan from a carrier?
in other words, can you get online with a lower-case gprs network connection, not GPRS. why is the browser ``disabled'' in the device, even if your SIM card is enabled for browsing in ``other normal'' handhelds'' i.e. the nokias and motorolas...thanks

No, you cannot. the G P R S Each stand for something. Much like NXTL vs nxtl. Two of them are Data svc active, and two of them are Voice svc active. I cannot remember the order, but for example if you have GPrs on the screen, you have full voice, but no data services.

The blackberry must have the data services to talk to the webclient (or BES)
Old 01-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #48
Andrey

Model: 8800
Carrier: tim

Tgray, check your BES MDS log, and if you find something like

<MDS_BBTIM01>:<INFO >:<LAYER = SCM, EVENT = Unable to load external DTD, schema, or entity source [null,http://www.blackberry.net/go/mobile/profiles/uaprof/8700/4.1.0.rdf]>

then the problem is MDS being unable to properly connect a handheld profile file.

We have having similar problem with our 8700g, but no solution yet.

Andrey
Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #49
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley
I have a number of websites that require client authentication by using a certificate signed by the server. Is there any way to import a client certificate into a BlackBerry and get it recognized as one of "My Certs" in Security Options - Certificates without using BES and sMime?

Tks.
In case anyone else is interested, this problem is solved with version 4.1 of the desktop software which provides the option of installing the Certificate Sync tool.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:47 AM   #50
PaulOckenden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: TMo UK

What about password protected sites? Note like the forum here where you type a username and password into a forum on the site - I'm talking about those that bring up a login box in a normal web browser on a desktop PC.

I can't get such sites to work witha blackberry - either via BIS or BES.

Any ideas? It's a bit of a showstopper for me.

P.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #51
hrbuckley

Default Password Protected Sites

What sites are you having problems with? What model are you using? What version of the handheld OS?

I was just able to logon to groups.yahoo.com with my 8700r runing V4.1
--
Richard.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:46 PM   #52
PaulOckenden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley
What sites are you having problems with? What model are you using? What version of the handheld OS?

I was just able to logon to groups.yahoo.com with my 8700r runing V4.1
Several sites, but because they are private I'd rather not give out the addresses here. I've got a 7100t running 3.8, a 7290 running 4.0 and a 8700g running 4.1 - they all exhibit the same problem.

Yahoogroups has a form based login - it has the login boxes on the page itself. I'm talking about sites that use browser based security. i.e. the site issues a 401 status code and the browser then asks (via its own user interface) for a username and password.

P.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:13 PM   #53
PaulOckenden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry - I take that back. Most basic authentication sites seem to work OK, it's just some sites (or rather devices - APC masterswitches) that won't play ball.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #54
hrbuckley

Glad to see you've narrowed it down. Can't help you with APC masterswitches. We wern't happy with basic authentication, even when securred by HTTPS. In experimentation with pre-V4.1 hand helds, and Fedora Core 1 Apache servers, we did not have any difficulties.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #55
PaulOckenden
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just upgraded one of the masterswitches to the latest firmware, but it still won't work (either WAP or HTTP) with a Blackberry. All of my other browsers (PCs, wap browser on a mobile phone, etc.) work just fine.

Oh, and it isn't the basic authentication, like I'd previously suspected. I configured the MasterSwtiches to use a forms based login, but the BlackBerry still gives an HTTP Error 400: Bad Request.

P.

Last edited by PaulOckenden; 02-13-2006 at 05:14 PM..
Old 02-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #56
BluePolaski
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a question regarding the look of the Blackberry Browser on my Tmobile 7100t (US). When I open the browser and come to the bookmark page, I am looking to hide the folders like "T-Zones Links" and "Download Fun." When I click on the folder, I have the option to collapse and also an option to "Hide." The hide option does nothing as far as I can tell and I want to at least keep those folders collapsed everytime I open the Browser. Is this possible? (same kind of option as opening the calendar to a certain view, I want to open the browser to a certain view of the folders.)
Old 03-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #57
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Updated FAQ to cover new aftermarket web browsers:

Opera Mini
Minuet Browser
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 03-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #58
Beam

Model: 8700c

I am having a problem that was noted above, but have not seen a solution. I have an 8700c with Cingular's HTML browser. I am trying to access an email account via webmail (springmail.com). However, when I go to the site, the boxes to enter my username and password will not appear on my BB. Any thoughts on how to be able to use the website?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #59
muki_champs

Model: 7100T

Hi all,
i wanted to know whether blackberry browswer does it open the pdf or wod dcuments ?
OR

2) What if anything we can do to enable us to open pdf’s, word documents, or excel documents in the Blackberry browser.

3 )If not now, does Blackberry have any plans to support the opening of the above document types in their browser

CAN ANY ONE HELP ME OUT.
thanx in advance.
Mukesh Srivastav,
India.
[email address]

http://www.geocities.com/muki_champs
Old 03-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #60
sandipa_baidya

Model: 7100T

whether blackberry browser supports flash files display??

I am having an asp.net web application which GUI is done in flash 4. now a user who is using blackberry device to view the site is not able to view the flash files in the webpage. Please suggest if it's possible to view the flash files in the device like other image files.
oops:
Closed Thread