Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #21
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

ifonline, I had some initial lag with BBM5 especially with groups. I made some setting changes in the group details and my lag issues have gone.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #22
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Which OS are you running one your Tour?

I was thinking it was a BBM 5/OS 4.5 bug, maybe it's a BMM 5/OS 4.x bug.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #23
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

My Tour is runnig 4.5.1.57.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #24
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
ifonline, I had some initial lag with BBM5 especially with groups. I made some setting changes in the group details and my lag issues have gone.
Interesting. I tried to change settings to see if I could get it worked out, but I have given up. I'll just wait for another release and try again.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
My Tour is runnig 4.5.1.57.
You mean 4.7.1.57 Right?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #26
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
You mean 4.7.1.57 Right?
Yes
Old 10-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #27
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
And now there's a new problem... after a period of time (or possibly after reaching a certain length with the chat session) the chat freezes and I can no longer respond to the chat. I have to end the chat and start a new one.
Same here. It's a problem afflicting faster-than-usual thumbtyping that can also rapid-type smiley faces. It seems to happen more often when I'm typing very fast (at 70 words per minute on my BlackBerry) and sometimes while inserting emoticons manually by typing several emoticon characters too, and then scrolling back to edit text between emoticon icons, rapid-fire editing of all sorts. Then it starts to mess up there... My opinion is that I think that RIM needs a public beta level between the RIM internal QC, and the broad deployment. Like Apple's developer program -- Apple often releases beta operating systems. The BlackBerry audience is big enough that this is becoming necessary... [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have installed OS 5 and am glad to see its speed improvements. There are a number of glitches, but at 5.0.0.238 they are tolerable that I won't revert to OS 4.6. Main complaint is the bugs with threaded SMS. But I like the threading in SMS, it is a wonderful improvement and turns SMS into an instant messenger, and works great with iPhone users who use threaded SMS -- they are all highlighted as new messages, even if they're already read -- and texting is buggy from phone numbers embedded in emails and webpages But other than these bugs, OS5 is extremely stable. Everything is so much faster than OS4, even BlackBerry Browser is much more usable and runs more AJAX pages better, including streaming HTML chat sites with realtime streaming HTML text (such as Sprint Captioned Telephone, which I use, because I am deaf). It's a good interim until a WebKit browser becomes available (unless it's already using a WebKit based one now). Camera and video is much better, with the translucent overlay, and much faster thumbnails-browsing (especially on a high-performace premium MicroSD card). [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I just WISH RIM would standardize on the letters "i" and "o" for zoom in/zoom out in all photo apps and web browser apps, because I really really really want to zoom in/out more easily in a more consistent manner in all BlackBerry applications. iPhone has pinch-zoom, but the very least RIM could do is to standardize zoom hotkeys "i" == "Zoom In" and "o" == "Zoom Out" ... Which has always been the case for the web browser but RIM does not consistently implement these in all applications that use zooming features, only some of them. And they actually removed these zoom hotkeys from one of the apps![/FONT]
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #28
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

Quote:
I've also experienced the inability to download a file when someone tries to send it to me. I will click accept and then it just sits at 0.0KB received forever.
Same here, one of the annoying features. friends who use bbm 5.0 always have an issue either receiving a file from me, or when i get a file from them, it gets stuck at 0.0kb.

however.. another friend of mine is using the older bbm and when she sent me a file, i had the option to view the file before saving.
so does that mean if you send a file using the old BBM to someone who has the new BBM you can view the file before saving? i find that pretty messed up.

the lags haven't been so bad of late..so that's a good thing.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #29
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Same here. It's a problem afflicting faster-than-usual thumbtyping that can also rapid-type smiley faces. It seems to happen more often when I'm typing very fast (at 70 words per minute on my BlackBerry) and sometimes while inserting emoticons manually by typing several emoticon characters too, and then scrolling back to edit text between emoticon icons, rapid-fire editing of all sorts. Then it starts to mess up there... My opinion is that I think that RIM needs a public beta level between the RIM internal QC, and the broad deployment. Like Apple's developer program -- Apple often releases beta operating systems. The BlackBerry audience is big enough that this is becoming necessary... [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have installed OS 5 and am glad to see its speed improvements. There are a number of glitches, but at 5.0.0.238 they are tolerable that I won't revert to OS 4.6. Main complaint is the bugs with threaded SMS. But I like the threading in SMS, it is a wonderful improvement and turns SMS into an instant messenger, and works great with iPhone users who use threaded SMS -- they are all highlighted as new messages, even if they're already read -- and texting is buggy from phone numbers embedded in emails and webpages But other than these bugs, OS5 is extremely stable. Everything is so much faster than OS4, even BlackBerry Browser is much more usable and runs more AJAX pages better, including streaming HTML chat sites with realtime streaming HTML text (such as Sprint Captioned Telephone, which I use, because I am deaf). It's a good interim until a WebKit browser becomes available (unless it's already using a WebKit based one now). Camera and video is much better, with the translucent overlay, and much faster thumbnails-browsing (especially on a high-performace premium MicroSD card). [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I just WISH RIM would standardize on the letters "i" and "o" for zoom in/zoom out in all photo apps and web browser apps, because I really really really want to zoom in/out more easily in a more consistent manner in all BlackBerry applications. iPhone has pinch-zoom, but the very least RIM could do is to standardize zoom hotkeys "i" == "Zoom In" and "o" == "Zoom Out" ... Which has always been the case for the web browser but RIM does not consistently implement these in all applications that use zooming features, only some of them. And they actually removed these zoom hotkeys from one of the apps![/FONT]
You lost me after 'Same here'.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #30
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
You lost me after 'Same here'.
Wow, you're good. I didn't get that far.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 AM   #31
CoDudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
Wow, you're good. I didn't get that far.
I saw the length of the post and that was that.
although i'm sure it was real informative?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #32
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
I saw the length of the post and that was that.
although i'm sure it was real informative?
I think he's trying to use html instead of BB code and html is not working. It adds a lot of text to the post and makes it a lot harder to read.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #33
CoDudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I think he's trying to use html instead of BB code and html is not working. It adds a lot of text to the post and makes it a lot harder to read.
I tried.. i got confused. d'oh!
Old 10-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #34
purepinay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Same here. It's a problem afflicting faster-than-usual thumbtyping that can also rapid-type smiley faces. It seems to happen more often when I'm typing very fast (at 70 words per minute on my BlackBerry) and sometimes while inserting emoticons manually by typing several emoticon characters too, and then scrolling back to edit text between emoticon icons, rapid-fire editing of all sorts. Then it starts to mess up there... My opinion is that I think that RIM needs a public beta level between the RIM internal QC, and the broad deployment. Like Apple's developer program -- Apple often releases beta operating systems. The BlackBerry audience is big enough that this is becoming necessary... [/FONT]

Thanks for the info Mark! This was very helpful.

In summary for all of you that couldn't get through it, he's saying that he upgraded to OS 5, and although there are some bugs, the overall benefit is greater.
Closed Thread