Old 04-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Ritsuke
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BEL Proximus
Default Mute key

Please Login to Remove!

The mute key on the top of the BB Bold puts it in standby mode, a mode by which battery power is saved by turning off the screen even when buttons are randomly pressed.

However, what else is being turned off? I only use a silent profile (no sounds, only vibration) all day long but I want to know if all vibrations (calendar, SMS, mail, ... ) come through even though the phone is standby mode or do only SMS and phone come through?

Anyone care to give an elaboration on the "standby" mode apart from the facts I already know? ( Saving power by disabling key input unless you press the mute key again )
Old 04-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

its the same as putting it into a holster, and you still get vibrate/tone etc for that.
it doesnt switch off the radio, and you still get emails/texts and calls while in standby from mute button press.

I use it at night so that emails will still come through and I can view when I wake up, but on silent (and I dont have vibrate set), it saves battery while its sitting next to the bed all night

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Ritsuke
Thumbs Must Hurt

What's the difference between locking your keyboard (*) and using the mute key when it's laying next to your bed? The only reason I currently see for using the "mute" key is because keys get pushed all the time in my pocket taking little but still, some power from my battery. By using the mute key that doesn't happen as those keys have no interference.

So as you don't push any keys when it's next to your bed. Why would using the mute key help you saving battery power? Or am I missing something here?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

using standby does keylock the bold. but when pressing a key, it "wakes up" and tells you its in standy mode. as opposed to locking the keyboard which keeps the phone running at full power, and you press a key, it uses like you said, very little battery power, but i assume some none the less.

however, standby is the same as using a holster which puts the phone literally into standby mode (like a tv or PC) it saves battery power. calls/emails and texts still come through as the radio isnt turned off, but unlike keyboard lock, standby will turn off the screen completely and reduce power consumption.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Ritsuke
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay, now I'm with you. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

No probs.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
sheitan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: bold
Carrier: mtel

yeah i also use it alot, sometimes i use the mute key sometimes i just lock with the lock icon
Closed Thread