emmanuel.e

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel India
Default Airtel India BlackBerry GPRS modem settings for use on a laptop

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

This is just FYI.

I am on the corporate Rs. 899 per month unlimited plan from Airtel.

On this plan users are entitled to unlimited data transfer - both BlackBerry data as well as other general internet access.

However BlackBerry data transfer and Internet data transfer have to be enabled separately.

What the stupid people at Technical Support (on calling 7070) will tell you is that the BlackBerry does not support being used with a laptop!

So what you have to do is to call up Customer Care at 121 and tell them to enable GPRS on your sim card. I presume all BlackBerry services would have already been enabled.

Once that is done follow the instructions at http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html
For some reason this thread is not accepting new posts.

The string for use with Airtel India is +cgdcont=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com",0,0

After this just dial and enjoy the network on your computer. Speeds are decent in the range of 60-100 kilobits per second wherever EDGE is available. Its available in most metros.

Note that BlackBerry Pearl has an inbuilt modem. Not sure about other BlackBerrys. Please check your version. And dont believe Technical Support when they say Internet on the computer is not possible via the BlackBerry.

Cheers,
Emmanuel

p.s. I think you can email me through the website. If you cant just post here and I will check it out.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
gjminer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: The Cloud

you can get 900 kb speed if you change your settings in your modem configuration page.

connection speeds at 921600 bps
Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
emmanuel.e

Default Not necessarily true

Changing the speed setting will not affect the speed provided by the network. EDGE can supply only upto around 250 kbps. Unless one is on a 3G network setting the modem speed above 250 is not going to provide higher speeds.

Although I havent checked what happens if you set the connection speed in the modem below what the network is capable of.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
natarajan_ks

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Airtel, India
Default passwoard error

Hi

I did connect as mentioned. Finally after dialing i got an error message:Verifying User name and password. Error 734 : The PPP link protocol was terminated.

Any suggestions please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel.e View Post
Hi Everyone,

This is just FYI.

I am on the corporate Rs. 899 per month unlimited plan from Airtel.

On this plan users are entitled to unlimited data transfer - both BlackBerry data as well as other general internet access.

However BlackBerry data transfer and Internet data transfer have to be enabled separately.

What the stupid people at Technical Support (on calling 7070) will tell you is that the BlackBerry does not support being used with a laptop!

So what you have to do is to call up Customer Care at 121 and tell them to enable GPRS on your sim card. I presume all BlackBerry services would have already been enabled.

Once that is done follow the instructions at http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html
For some reason this thread is not accepting new posts.

The string for use with Airtel India is +cgdcont=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com",0,0

After this just dial and enjoy the network on your computer. Speeds are decent in the range of 60-100 kilobits per second wherever EDGE is available. Its available in most metros.

Note that BlackBerry Pearl has an inbuilt modem. Not sure about other BlackBerrys. Please check your version. And dont believe Technical Support when they say Internet on the computer is not possible via the BlackBerry.

Cheers,
Emmanuel

p.s. I think you can email me through the website. If you cant just post here and I will check it out.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
emmanuel.e

Just check with 121 if GPRS is enabled on your sim.

Also use the following string +cgdcont=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com"

The addition of 0,0 nowadays seems to cause an error.

Also disable LCP extensions in the Connection properties -> Networking -> Settings

Last edited by emmanuel.e; 04-04-2008 at 05:34 AM..
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #6
natarajan_ks

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Airtel, India

Hi

Thanks a lot. It works now with your new string and LCP extensions off.
The blackberry modem does not get installed and the blackberry works with the LG USB modem I had installed earlier for my reliance LG phone! Thanks again.

regards
KS Natarajan
Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 AM   #7
kpramki

Model: 7100
Carrier: Airtel
Default thank you !!

thanks and it works for me.
i too had tried calling airtel - those people are not aware of how to use blackberry as a modem.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
GDarora

Model: 7290
Default Error 734: The PPP link protocol was terminated

Hi Everyone,

I have been unfortunate!!!! I have tried the suggestions and I still get the "Error 734: The PPP link protocol was terminated" error.

I am using Blackberry 7290 from Airtel.

I am game to anything you want to suggest.

Thanks
Gagan
Old 06-06-2008, 02:23 AM   #9
ysj

Model: 8700g
Default Thanks!

Hi Emmanuel et al,
Thanks to your & Mark's detailed steps, i am able to connect my laptop to internet using my BlackBerry 8700c!!
Sunil
Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
ysj

Model: 8700g
Default Now it does not work

Hi Emmanuel,
I had successfully configured my bb to connect to the net, but of late, it does not connect.
It gives error 721.
Any ideas or suggestions as to how to fix this?
Thanks,
Sunil
Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
pr_parmar

Default hi

hello,

i am using perl 8100, and i am on 899 unlimited plan from Airtel.i want to connect my blackberry to my laptop. i have created the dial up connection and other settings are don't. but what should be the dial i no?and what should i put as user name and password? could you please help me with this.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
pr_parmar

Smile not able to browse

hello,

I have perl 8100. i am able to connect to Airtel, but not able to browse. if i connect using dial up, it is getting connected and i can see network connection icon on my task ber, but there is no data transfer happening. i can not browse.

is there any settings i need to do? if so what are those and how?

Regards
Prashant
Old 07-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #13
Desparadoisback
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: aiertelindia

Hi all thanks for your suggestions..... Iam using Pearl 8120 and airtel network on it..... i tried with the settings above and doesnt connect to the internet on laptop. Error that "modem or other connected divice is nor responding". any solutions for this..... thanks.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
Desparadoisback

Smile Check your anti virus programme......uninstall it and recheck. definitely works

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_parmar View Post
hello,

I have perl 8100. i am able to connect to Airtel, but not able to browse. if i connect using dial up, it is getting connected and i can see network connection icon on my task ber, but there is no data transfer happening. i can not browse.

is there any settings i need to do? if so what are those and how?

Regards
Prashant

Check your anti virus programme......uninstall it and recheck. definitely works
Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Desparadoisback

Hey I have a blackberry pearl 8120 and enabled GPRS Airtel sim on it..... i can browse the internet in the BB but i cant use it on my laptop............Itried all the ways which are explained in the forum but Iam not able to connect....... lot of error messages are there one of them are "Error 678 The remote computer did not respond". At the same time I can connect to net with other handset.... I have 4 USB ports and 3 types of modems installed on my laptop and I tried changing of them as well. but badluck..... can any one suggest me for solution......... step by step....thanks........
Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
rajgh1

Model: 8700
Carrier: Bharti Airtel

i am also planning to get a blackberry with 899 plan on Airtel. The girl at the CC said that with this plan i would NOT be ablt to browse using laptop, but i can browse using BB and also unlimited emails. Can someone please confirm that if i opt for the 899 plan i can use my bb as a modem with my laptop? Thanks in advance
Old 10-23-2008, 06:05 AM   #17
genuineguy

Model: 8300

Hi
I have a Blackberry Bold 9000. I tried the above setup, but I get the error
Verifying User name and password. Error 734 : The PPP link protocol was terminated.

1. I tried with and without 0,0 and LCP too
No luck !!

What is the username and password you guys provide ? I left it blank.

Also what is the dialling number *99# ?

Manoj
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #18
genuineguy

Ah,
Finally I got this one working. I got it working without 0,0 and LCP. I used *99# and I left the username and password blank.
So for benefit of others, what was the mistake I did that I corrected ?
Silly me, I did not follow Emannuel's instructions completely. I assumed that since I am on EDGE, GPRS is enabled. But after I called 121 and got GPRS enabled, I got authenticated and got connected.

However, I got connected at 115.2Kbps and the speed is pathetically slow that I can virtually do NO internet browsing. However, this still is useful in case of emergencies.

Thanks emanuel and everybody. The Airtel Stupid 7070 people had 1.5yrs back told me that Blackberry cannot be used as a modem in India (whereas I knew my colleagues all over the world use it) and I had beleived these nuts... overall Airtel sucks on customer service... they speak just rattled american english and have no clues on technical aspects

Manoj
Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
genuineguy

Dear Gjminer,

To get 900Kb, what more settings are required ? Can you pls share it here with detailed steps for benefit of this community ?
Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #20
wtfspiff

Model: E90
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi

Just got finished dealing with retarded 7070 and 121 people which kept me switching back and forth. They both told me to initiate a conference call and none of them had the capability to call each other :s

After like a whole day of calls they ACTUALLY disabled my 7070 and 121 number and I had to call from another number to get hold of them :D

I am subscribed to BB 899 unlimited plan which I use for my Nokia E90. I was able to browse the website but could not use the internet.

Finally they 121 guys activated my GPRS and told me to connect to "Mobile Office". can anybody confirm if they will actually charge me for this despite having the unlimited plan ( although the 7070 guys say they wont )
Closed Thread