Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
jdny516
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Default Battery Life? Is it me or?

Please Login to Remove!

Is it me or just good battery life? When i first got the pearl the battery life was fine, and as i keep letting it die and charging it the battery life is improving. (This is a given since it is a Nimh?)

But what i have noticed is that when i "locked" or "stand by" my phone the battery life has a great increase! (Not sure if people know about standby mode- Hold down mute button) Is anyone seeing this?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
absolved
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

You're lucky, mine seems to be getting worse! =(
Old 01-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
jdny516
Thumbs Must Hurt

try the standby mode, or lock
Old 01-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
metsfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Pearl battery is Li-ion, so you don't need to let it run down before charging it.

Last edited by metsfan; 01-26-2007 at 06:23 PM..
Old 01-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: mEowmIx

Same for me, when I hold the mute button, it seems to be a lot longer than when I don't. Makes some sense since all it does while in standby is wait for emails, calls and whatnot.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
rkkeller

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I can get over 2 days life if I dont run Mobile Gmail or any IM programs. When I run the above I get about a day.

I charge every night or every other night so battery life is not a big issue.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I also do not think that running your battery into the ground is going to make a huge difference in it's performance. In fact it should only shorten the life of your battery. It is not Nimh! Just use your device and plug it in while you sleep. If that is not enough then you are running stuff that will require you to charge several times a day.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Sirius_GTO

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan
Pearl battery is Li-ion, so you don't need to let it run down before charging it.
Can anyone verify truth in this post? No offense. I'm just curious.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I also use standby most of the day. I get great battery life, 3 days at least. Can someone tell me why standby should give more battery life than just sitting the pearl on a desk? I wouldn't think it would make any difference.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius_GTO
Can anyone verify truth in this post? No offense. I'm just curious.
Nickel Cadmium-NiCd
Nickel Cadmium batteries may suffer from reduced run time if they are are not discharged completely before being recharged. This is the so called memory effect which reduces battery life but can be reversed by completely discharging (Not to zero volts but 1 volt per cell. Running the device until it powers down is sufficient.) and recharging, sometimes over a number of cycles (at least 3 times). A more common reason for reduced life is overcharging by poorly designed battery chargers which continue to charge the battery rather than automatically shutting off and is not reversible. You can determine if this is occurring by checking if the battery is warm or hot sometime after the charger indicates a full charge.
Ni-Cd batteries use cadmium which is highly toxic to the environment if not disposed of properly. They have a life of approximately 800 cycles or 3-5 years but in practice this is probably much less due to memory and overcharging.

Nickel Metal Hydride-NiMH
Nickel Metal Hydride batteries have an approximately 40% higher charge density and will run longer on a charge than an equivalent NiCd. They do not suffer to the same extent from the memory effect and do not need to be fully discharged before recharging although occasional discharging may be beneficial. They have a life of approximately 400 charge cycles.
Ni-MH batteries are a more environmental friendly alternative to Ni-Cd.

Lithium Ion - Li-Ion
Lithium ion batteries have the greatest charge density (twice that of Ni-Cd) and do not suffer from memory effect. Although more expensive they offer longer use, lighter weight and less self-discharge than other battery chemistries. They have a life of approximately 400 charge cycles. They are more environmentally friendly as they don't contain toxic materials such as Mercury or Cadmium.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
Sirius_GTO

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt
Nickel Cadmium-NiCd
Nickel Cadmium batteries may suffer from reduced run time if they are are not discharged completely before being recharged. This is the so called memory effect which reduces battery life but can be reversed by completely discharging (Not to zero volts but 1 volt per cell. Running the device until it powers down is sufficient.) and recharging, sometimes over a number of cycles (at least 3 times). A more common reason for reduced life is overcharging by poorly designed battery chargers which continue to charge the battery rather than automatically shutting off and is not reversible. You can determine if this is occurring by checking if the battery is warm or hot sometime after the charger indicates a full charge.
Ni-Cd batteries use cadmium which is highly toxic to the environment if not disposed of properly. They have a life of approximately 800 cycles or 3-5 years but in practice this is probably much less due to memory and overcharging.

Nickel Metal Hydride-NiMH
Nickel Metal Hydride batteries have an approximately 40% higher charge density and will run longer on a charge than an equivalent NiCd. They do not suffer to the same extent from the memory effect and do not need to be fully discharged before recharging although occasional discharging may be beneficial. They have a life of approximately 400 charge cycles.
Ni-MH batteries are a more environmental friendly alternative to Ni-Cd.

Lithium Ion - Li-Ion
Lithium ion batteries have the greatest charge density (twice that of Ni-Cd) and do not suffer from memory effect. Although more expensive they offer longer use, lighter weight and less self-discharge than other battery chemistries. They have a life of approximately 400 charge cycles. They are more environmentally friendly as they don't contain toxic materials such as Mercury or Cadmium.
Awesome. Thank you. One last question however. What constitutes a charge cycle? Is plugging it in for a quick 30 minute charge up going to use one of those 400 cycles? Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

Is using the standby mode the same as using the auto on/off option or putting the phone to "sleep" when I slide it into my OEM holster? What are the differences?
Closed Thread