BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
Remax Realtor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo
Default Should I get the pearl through Sprint when its released?

Please Login to Remove!

I have the pearl through t-mobile. So far im pretty happy with service. (besides me having to rpelace it twice) I have a data plan only since I need email for my work. My other line is a sero plan through sprint. If you dont know sero, go to sprint.com/sero

Heres my predicament. Im a real estate agent. Banks send out orders via email. The first agent to click the accept link in the email gets the work. Some sites I have to log in to accept, and some can be accepted through the email itself. This is the reason why I got a bb, and set up email through gmail. My emails come instantly. My problem is that sometimes the websites take a long time to load, and I miss out on the order. I have about a year left on my contract through t-mobile, so that means I will have to pay the cancellation fee. Its not that big of a deal since the extra orders I can pick up will pay that fee in no time. These orders I accept on my phone pay for a year of service in about 2 weeks.

My main question is, do you think it's worth it? Lets put monthly fees aside. I just want to know if you guys think the internet will be much faster? Will emails come through faster as well? If I send an email from outlook to gmail its on my phone usually in less than 10 seconds.

Heres what im paying now:

Sprint sero: $50
T-mobile data only $40

If I get a bb through sprint, they tack on $40 a month for bb charges. I will be paying the same exact thing. Maybe it's best if I wait and mess with the demo in the store.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

When i went to the sprint.com/sero site i saw that they have voice plans with unlimited texts and data. That by itself would make me switch. If you switch to sprint the web prob will be fater than TMo but you will not have a worldphone anymore. If you ever leave the US you will have to get a GSM phone. If i were you I would stay with TMo.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
shimey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: pearl

Edge is edge. Without upgrading to 3g or something else, I would think your d/l speeds would not change.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
p nut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

The data speed will depend on the area that you're in. Test out Sprint's data and if it's faster, switch. You can then sell your TMo blackberry to offset the cost of the ETF.

I was a Sprint customer years ago, and vowed never to sign up with them ever again. They had HORRIBLE customer service. Not sure if it's improved now, though.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I was a Sprint customer years ago, and vowed never to sign up with them ever again. They had HORRIBLE customer service. Not sure if it's improved now, though.
True. I was a Sprint customer back in the Sprint Spectrum days and left them ever since. Their customer service was atrocious. I still hear from friends and coworkers who have Sprint that the customer service still sucks, they're just with them because either they're on an employee/family plan or for the free roaming.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
gixxer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

I just left sprint and I will not go back!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780

I saw a Verizon corp rep at a cell phone fair at my company today. I asked about the Pearl and he said 30 days. That would be around or before the time of the Sprint launch. Maybe you can wait til then.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Remax Realtor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987 View Post
When i went to the sprint.com/sero site i saw that they have voice plans with unlimited texts and data. That by itself would make me switch. If you switch to sprint the web prob will be fater than TMo but you will not have a worldphone anymore. If you ever leave the US you will have to get a GSM phone. If i were you I would stay with TMo.
I dont leave the us. From what ive heard Sero does not include blackberry service. Its an extra $40 per month.

Quote:
Edge is edge. Without upgrading to 3g or something else, I would think your d/l speeds would not change.
Sprint does not use edge. The are a cdma carrier and use EVDO. I dont know if the new pearl will be rev a compatible, but its even faster than EVDO.

Btw I couldnt be happier with sprint. Theres not a single company that will even come close to the sero plan. My g/f has the $30/month plan, and it includes 500 minutes, nights starting at 7pm, no roaming charges, unlimited internet, unlimited nights/weekends free sprint to sprint calls, picture mail, and as a bonus she got 500 text messages a month free. I never would ahve went to sero, but at the time sprint had gigantic blackberries. I like to keep my phone in my pocket, and its not possible with the phones they had.

The other thing thats hurting this decision is the new curve coming out. However ive heard its going to be $450. Theres no way im spending that much on a phone. I hate decisions.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #9
rarexxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Remax, I'm in the same situation as you. I'm was pretty happy with T-Mobile and the Pearl except for the reception in the office at my store. I lose reception or have one bar. One of my employees just got a Sprint phone so I was comparing it in the office and it had 2 or 3 bars and sounded very clear. I found out about SERO and have had it for about a week with a Motorola Q. The EVDO download speeds are much faster than EDGE but browsing is about the same since it goes through the Blackberry servers on the Pearl making it pretty fast. I like the Sprint service alot and it has better coverage than T-Mobile but I'm still afraid of leaving them and going non GSM. Plus I was originally going to get the Curve also but for $400 I'm not sure.
Closed Thread