Old 07-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #21
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Sprint, T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Make sure the version you loaded on the BB is the exact same version they put in the BES. Then go to Options >Advanced Options >Applications. Scroll to and highlight "Bluetooth Keyboard." Then click the menu key and select "edit Permissions." Expand "Interactions" and see if you can set the keystroke injection to "allow" from there. You will only be able to set it to "allow" for that one particular application, not for all of them.
I don't have Bluetooth Keyboard listed under Apps..only Freedom Universal Drivers..is that what should be there? I still can change Deny there..when I select it I don't get any other option other then Deny.

Hmm..how do I check to see if I actually received the new policy? I soft reset and deleted the service books...then they pushed the books to me again..is that the same thing?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #22
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

To check the policy go to Options >Security Options >General Settings and scroll to the bottom and look at the date on the policy.

I am using version 2.01. Do you have an entry that says btkbd42 ? Try to edit the permissions on that. You can get to it by viewing the modules.

If you can't get it going, just contact Freedom Keyboard. They are very helpful and will get on the phone with MailStreet, if necessary. Keep in mind time zones, as they are in the UK but I am confident they will take care of you.

Last edited by John Clark; 07-13-2007 at 05:14 PM..
Old 07-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #23
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks...yes I checked it and the policy is dated today right during the time I was on the call with MailStreet.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #24
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Orbitz, I moved your thread here as it may help and Freedom may be checking this thread more often than others. Also, this post may help, too.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #25
chedardog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

Orbitz,

What are your device specs? (carrier, model, and OS rev)

Did you ota download the drivers or install them thru desktop manager?

Also how fresh are your batteries in the keyboard? (our users tend to leave the power switch on and drain the batts)

At work with our BES, we got a shipment of about six FUBTKB in for one department.

I set up all of the policies myself per the instructions by RIM and Freedom Input. It worked flawlessly with my Nextel 7520 & my AT&T 8800

Half of the users just would not configure, BES logs would show the policy would be delivered & applied, but the device option for keyboard injection just would never pick up on the Allow option and would only show Deny.

In some cases, upgrading the user to a newer device (7290 => 8800) and the keyboard then would instantly work with no problems. So I think some devices just may be cursed and wish you luck in getting it to work.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #26
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

John...thanks for moving it here..I kind of figured after I posted it should have gone here.

Chedardog,

I am using the Sprint 8830, os install is 4.2.2.123.

I installed the driver via OTA...seemed to go fine. I got the unlock code and put it in etc. The only thing I have noticed is occasionally the keyboard will connect right away..other times it takes maybe 30 seconds or so...other then that it seems fine.

The batteries were brand new...I didn't even use the ones that came in the box. I had picked up a new pack and threw a couple of those in. When I had MailStreet on the phone that was the first time I had the keyboard on other then an hour earlier when I installed the driver.

What you are describing seems like what I am seeing...the policy shows updated on the unit and I had the head of BB tech support on the phone with me...he had already set up a few other keyboards (all Shasta's however) so he was pretty familiar with the process. It did take a bit of digging to find the .cod and .alx files on Freedom's site, but we did find those and I am sure he grabbed the ones for OS 4.2 etc.

I was thinking about reloading the driver but am not sure if that will cause issues with the unlocking part...I read some warning on their site about not entering the info wrong as it would require their tech support to reset things etc.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #27
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Are you able to set keystroke injection to allow for the keyboard app now? If so, and you are simply having trouble with the drivers I would contact Freedom's support team and have them help you out.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #28
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

No..I am still not able to change keystroke injection to "allow"..the only choice is still "deny". I have been assuming maybe the BES setup is still not quite right and MailSteet can talk with tech support at Freedom and figure out what is wrong.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #29
John Clark
BBF Moderator

yeah, you'll need to get that setup properly first. You have to use the identical version they installed on the BES otherwise it won't work then you have to set the permissions for just that app on your device. It took me a few days to get it worked out with my BES admin, too.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #30
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 205D8AAC
Carrier: 02

Hi all,

I have been away for a couple of days and I have missed all your posts.

I will get Paul onto all this tomorrow morning (UK time) and i will make sure that everyone who need some support has received it from us.

When we have got all the problems solved, I will post the outcome on this forum to help out anyone else who may need the help.

I am so sorry I wasn't here to help you all at the end of last week. It was my daughter's 21st birthday and I took some rare time off to celebrate with her.
If anyone wants to PM me with a contact phone number, we will call you tomorrow and talk you through the changes you may need to do to get you up and running.

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 AM   #31
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

I just got the email from the MailStreet BES admin this morning which was sent last night (UK time).

When you downloaded the drivers OTA was it OTA from the BES or OTA from our OTA website?

I think maybe as John said the driver version on the handheld is different to the one on the BES.

I have uploaded the exact files I sent to MailStreet to setup the software configuration. If you can please remove the drivers you have currently and install the ones from the link below this should sort the problem out.

Freedom Universal 4.2 drivers (bare files) - Freedom Input Ltd

This is just the bare .COD and .ALX file so you will need to use the "application loader" part of BlackBerry desktop manager to install them (if you get stuck let me know and I can talk you through it).

The software should have been pushed to the handheld along with the policy though. I have seen bugs with the BES not being able to send software to the newer handhelds because it does not have the Hardware ID for the newer devices (which stops it being able to push software to it). Installing the exact same software to the handheld should work around this (as it still seems to send the software policy) but the BES admin should take a look at the KB article below.

KB04693
BlackBerry Search Results

I have emailed a copy of this to you as well (and also included the MailStreet admin). Please let me know how it goes with installing the drivers from the above .alx/.cod files.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #32
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Paul..just emailed you back. I have followed the directions in your post above and still no luck. I copied Tom over at MailStreet to see if he had any other ideas.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #33
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Similar to Orbitz

FYI I thought that I would let others know of a problem similar to Orbitz, with one slight variation.

My universal keyboard arrived today. I downloaded the 8800 driver, went through the unlock and registration process successfully, and was able to pair the keyboard to the BB. I activated the keyboard, scrolled down to Keyboard Test, and when I tried to enter some text I received the following error message: "Keystroke injection doesn't allowed on your device." (Not the best use of the Queen's English, but what the heck!) It then freezes at this point, and my only option is to power off the BB.

The additional information that may be useful is that I am NOT on a corporate or hosted BES; I only use BIS.

One common theme is that both Orbitz and I are 8830 devices on Sprint.

FYI, I have a ticket in with Freedom Input.

Last edited by djm2; 07-18-2007 at 06:21 PM..
Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #34
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Is it possible that that your BB has been on a BES in the past? Is it used or refurbished?

If it has NEVER been on a BES then you should be able to manually set the permissions to allow, including keystroke injection to allow.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 PM   #35
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Is it possible that that your BB has been on a BES in the past? Is it used or refurbished?

If it has NEVER been on a BES then you should be able to manually set the permissions to allow, including keystroke injection to allow.
Supposedly brand new; other than the word of the provider, how can I tell?

I can set interactions to allow, but have not tried that (yet). Nowhere have I seen an option for keystroke injection, although I will cop to being an uniformed newbie.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:17 AM   #36
Paul Bowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post

I can set interactions to allow, but have not tried that (yet). Nowhere have I seen an option for keystroke injection, although I will cop to being an uniformed newbie.
You should be able to change the keystroke injection settings on the handheld with no problems.

Take a look at the document from the link below which gives you step by step instructions on how to do it.

Handheld Security Changes for "TrackBall" BlackBerry's - Freedom Input Ltd
Old 07-19-2007, 04:29 AM   #37
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

Originally Posted by djm2

[/I][/I]

If you still have aproblem after following Paul's instructions, send me a PM with your phone number and Paul will phone you and talk you through it.

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #38
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Default Thanks for Excellent Support

While the problems I was having were not merely related to the setting for allowing keystroke injection -- in fact the pairing had also become corrupt -- I just wanted to mention on the board that Paul got right back to me with very detailed instructions on how to recover from the corrupt pairing. Everything is now working, and I need to get used to using this new product and customize it for my needs.

Since too often support personnel do not receive their just reward when excellent service is provided, I simply wanted to let board members know that my issue is solved. Thank you Paul.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #39
chrismacsween
Thumbs Must Hurt

THANK YOU so much for your note about Paul. He is thrilled and grinning from ear to ear since you posted your last message!
It makes it all so worthwhile!

Chris Macsween.

Freedom Input Ltd.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #40
orbitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

I will second the positive comments about Paul...he has been calling me from UK..I think 4 or 5 calls now in 2 days. Unfortunately, I have had a mini emergency with work here the last couple of days and haven't connected with him yet, however, between Chris and Paul, these guys set a new standard for customer service. Seriously, the fact that Paul has been all over this from UK makes me committed to this brand...I will keep working with everyone until it works! I might add they have been in regular contact with the BB head tech at mailstreet in addition to me.