BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
sasquatch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Default NEW REVIEW: SENA 8700 pouch case

Please Login to Remove!

I have always liked the quality of Sena cases, I used to use them for my Treo 650. But for my BB 8700g I only like to use "Pouch" style cases, and until recently, Sena had only made those magnetic "flipper" cases. So I've been waiting a long time for this case to come out, and I decided to order it from bberry.com to give it a try. I ordered the black one.

The case arrives in a nice box with a velvet bag, as all Sena cases do. I think bberry.com sells these in both Black and Tan, but you can get more case colors from Sena Cases - Top quality leather cases : iPaq, Palm, Axim, Clie, iPod, and Treo leather case and other PDA cases. But I wanted the black one anyways.

After opening the package I could immediately tell this was made by Sena: glossy black leather, with excellent stiching... the leather isn't as "thick" as it is on some cases, and I like this because it helps Sena cases keep a low profile.

Construction is excellent, and I could find no defects at all. The leather is smooth, glossy, and has a great leather smell... (I like that). The clip, as you can see in the photo, is a standard leather-covered metal clip, and it ratchets around, stopping at each 45-degree turn.

The clip holds onto a belt (or waistband) reasonably well, and it's long enough to go over all of my belts. I think this clip is very similar to the fixed clip used on Fortte cases, and perhaps similar to the clips used on the newer versions of Gizmoskin cases.
On my case, the clip is easy to ratchet, but it has never ratcheted accidentally. However, I've only used the case for one week, so the jury is still out on whether the clip will get looser over time.

As I said, the finish is excellent quality, and on the inside is a thick velour padded interior. It IS padded, so at first it makes for a tight fit for my 8700g. But after a few days, the fit became just a tad better... it fits the 8700 VERY snugly, and grips it tight. There is no way the device is ever going to slip out of the case. I can even turn it upside down and shake it: it won't budge.
At first, the fit was almost TOO tight: it took some effort to get it out of the case (I use a BestSkinsEver screen shield but no other body coverings).
However, after a few days, the fit loosened up a bit, and now it is perfect. Snug fit, but easy enough to pull the 8700 out of the case.

A sleeper magnet is included, and on this case it works very well: the 8700 can be inserted face-out or face-in, and the magnet works equally well in both positions.

As the pictures show, there is no flap covering the device, but the fit is so snug you probably would not need it. Most of the ports are covered up while the BB is in the case, but the headset jack is exposed and available to use while in that case.
To sync and/or charge the BB you will have to take it out of the case...I always do anyways.

The only branding on the case is the word "SENA" embossed on the front, and this does not detract from the looks. The stitching matches the case color. This, combined with the glossy color makes it a great looking case. Almost "formal" looking, but I think it looks great with jeans as well.

As you can see, the speaker is covered up by the top of the case, but I have not found that this takes away from the volume of the ringer. I hear my ringer just fine.

This is just an excellent case, and I am particularly impressed with the leather quality and the high quality velour interior (this has the best feeling interior of any case I've used... a bit better than even the OEM RIM Leather case).

I can find nothing wrong with this case, and there is nothing I would change, and it has (and will be) the only case I'll use. No reason for me to use anything else. I think this case beats even the Fortte cases, especially in terms of leather quality, interior quality, fit, and clip functionality.

*Before this case, I used several other cases, including RIM, Fortte, Covertec, T-Mobile brand, Seidio, and Gizmoskin. This is easily better than the others, so I highly recommend it.

Let me know if you have any question about the case I did not answer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sena1.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	5891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sena2.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	5892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sena3.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	5893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sena4.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	5894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sena5.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	5895  

Last edited by sasquatch; 11-10-2006 at 05:04 PM..
Old 02-19-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
AbyCatDad

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for this informative review! I just received an 8703e and have been looking for a 'nicer' case to carry it around in -- especially in and out of meetings where it's always sitting on the table -- I didn't want anything too 'klunky looking.' How has this case held up for you since you originally posted the review? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
drgoodtymes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
PIN: 30D4E281
Carrier: Sprint

I agree 100% with this review, I have been using this case since it hit the market, I love it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5bVFduTRM
Old 02-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
sasquatch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyCatDad
Thanks for this informative review! I just received an 8703e and have been looking for a 'nicer' case to carry it around in -- especially in and out of meetings where it's always sitting on the table -- I didn't want anything too 'klunky looking.' How has this case held up for you since you originally posted the review? Thanks!
So far this case has held up very well, the leather is pretty tough and hasnt received any scratches at all. The stitching, as with all Sena cases, is the best there is. I expect this case to last a long time because of the top quality workmanship.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
AbyCatDad

Carrier: Verizon

Well, I ordered this pouch for my 8703e and it arrived a few days ago. What a nice product! Beautiful leather finish and size-wise, just about as minimal as you could hope for while still providing protection. I'm wondering now how the Sena open-face case is for the 8703e... Anyone using it?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
drgoodtymes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
PIN: 30D4E281
Carrier: Sprint

If you are talking about the flipper case, I have been using one on my 8700c/g for about a year now. I love it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5bVFduTRM
Old 05-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
ninwest

PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Can you see the led light when in the case and on your hip? This is very important to me and nobody ever covers it... I just use the light as my email notification so i have to be able to see it even when inside.
thanks
aaron
Old 06-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
atrueman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r
PIN: 2058bb58
Carrier: Rogers

I really like the look of this case, but as I am unlikely to wear it, I would like the option of removing the clip. Is this possible or are their alternatives out there that have a similar appearance but without the clip?