Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint
Default REVIEW: Noreve Leather Flip Style Case w/ Ratchet Belt Clip for 8700

Please Login to Remove!

Product: Noreve Leather Flip Style Case w/ Ratchet Belt Clip for 8700
Price: $51.48 USD
URL: www.noreve.com

Review:
This case arrived in a plastic display case, and within that case is a nice display or gift type box with logo on top. The case is of soft leather, with a small metal logo emblem on the bottom right of the front flap. The inside is a nice soft felt type lining, with teo card slots on the inside of the flap. It uses a magnetic snap closure system which is one of the best I have seen because the magnet is a bit stronger than most, making the top part find and sink into the bottom part much better than most others. The back has holes for the speakerphone/ringer to be heard through, and all buttons and jacks are easily accessible.

Click to enlarge:

This case separates itself from others in design by using a unique method of securing the device. It has no plastic or leather pieces that cross the fron of the device. Whereas most cases have either a small leather strip just under the screen, or a plastic screen protector across the whole screen, or a combination of the two, this case has neither. Instead, it uses the frame that surrounds the keyboard portion to hold the device in place. My first thought was "not a good idea." But after I tested it, I changed my mind - very good idea. It really works. The device does not move around, it does not slip at all. It feels as if it is being held across the top by something. The side parts are metal reinforced with a small rod in the top portion, securing the device very well. This is a creative design that functions perfectly. Kudos to Noreve, because that allows you to have no obstructions whatsoever when using the device. No more plastic or leather rubbing across your face when using the phone. And all the keys are just as easily accessible as the other cases. As you can see, I held it upside down, and even shook it roughly, and it didn't budge.

The belt clip uses a plastic belt piece and a metal stud on the case. It is a ratchet system, stopping at 45 degree angles. I noticed it is a little harder than most to depress the top button and get the stud to move up and out of the clip, because of the design. The small plastic tip centers itself inside the hole in the metal stud, keeping the device from being removed unless the button is depressed, which makes the little tip recess into the clip and out of the center hole of the stud, freeing the stud to slide out of the top of the clip. The issue is that I have a tendency to start sliding the case upward while depressing the button at the same time, and that makes the tip rest against the top of the hole in the stud and it makes the button too stiff to push. So I just paid attention and trained myself to not start slding up until after I get the button depressed - problem solved - just took a little getting used to. It has a moderate profile when worn, not too obtrusive, and the ratcheting system holds the device on its side very well. There is also an optional screw that can replace the metal stud if you do not use the belt clip system.

Now it appears as though I really like this case, and I do. But there is one fatal flaw - no sleeper magnet! I immediately contacted the company, and they told me to inform this forum that they are indeed getting magnets, and these cases will be shipped with properly working magnets as soon as possible. Once they have them ready, I will get another one and test how well the magnet feature works, and I will update this review accordingly. Stay tuned...

Rating: I give this case 4 out of 5 Berries.

Conclusion: The case is well made of nice leather, makes everything accessible for use, uses a unique design to hold the device without obstruction and has a ratchet belt clip. Normally a 5 Berry contender - but the lack of sleeper magnet prevents such a rating, so 4 Berries is the appropriate designation. Once the magnet issue is resolved, I'm sure this will change the rating. For those interested in a stylish case with a unique and functional design, and a removeable ratchet clip system, this is the case for you - so long as you can wait a little while for the magnet to be introduced.

Pros: Stylish, unique yet functional holding system, nice magnetic snap closure, removeable ratchet belt clip system.

Cons: No sleeper magnet as of yet, a bit costly.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:22 AM   #2
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

One thing I love about the cases they offer is the wide array of colors

You can get pink, baby blue, green, etc. Not many other places offer colors with their cases like these (except vaja which costs a bit)

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
CSULBeachBum

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

These Noreve cases are great! Incredible quality & fit. I love the color choices too!
Total Noreve addict.
Now they have a North America store at Noreve : Advanced Design Cases for Personal Technologies (Mobile Technologies so cheaper shipping. YAY
Old 04-14-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
esame

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Can't agree more, Noreve cases are great, what one would have expected from the price of it.