Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Default ToDoMatrix by REXwireless

Please Login to Remove!

TODO MATRIX FROM REXWIRELESS

Date reviewed: April 4th, 2006
Version number: 2006.03.28

Hey all-

Upon reading a couple of recent threads I thought I would try and review the application that was suggested, Todo matrix.

Upon visiting the site (which is layed out very well) they give you a brief summary of the application you are interested in purchasing (they also have an idea matrix which I will be trying next). They install OTA, which in my opinion is very nice, especially with an 8700c as it takes only a min or two at most. Once the application was loaded, it asks for a passcode and you internet connection settings. I tried WAP first and it timed out after two or three minutes ( I do have TCP settings configured). The other option for connecting the program is TCP/BES. After selecting that connection, it took only 30 seconds (if that) to connect and to be thrusted in to the main view.

The main view is not exactly what I imagined. It looks like a standard file tree on outlook or some other program. With the trial version, there are already branches and subfolders created along with "mock" todo's created. Upon pushing the track wheel, you get the following options:

View to dos
New folders
move folders
move to-dos
edit folder
delete folder
Purchase todo matrix
Activate todo matrix
edit profile
restore from web
backup to web
backup status
delete database

There are several keys specified for certain commands. They look like the following:

(h) (v) views (c) create (f)find (l) last (d) delete

The h key conveniently pulls up a help index for the user listing all keys that have functionality. When viewing a task, you see the folder that it is in, the due date, the delegate, the priority, the status, the alert, and the subject.
This is considerably more than what is shown on the standard task list for the blackberry. However, the blackberry did have a quck key that marked a task completed or in progress or waiting, the space key. On this program, you have to press q in order to pull up a option select. There you are given the options for the status of the task.

The delegate option is also very cool. You can select the task to be given to any specific colleague in your address book or one that you create. A very nice function. Now I am unsure if this could be accessed by multiple people (so that your employees can view the tasks that have been assigned to them). I have sent an email to the support team in regards to this question and will edit my review upon receipt of thier response.

They also have an alert branch that has alerts listing the following:
Alerts
Due soon
Due this week
Due today
Found
Last Viewed
Past due

Overall this program is set up very nicely. The creators took a lot of time investing thought in to this program.The navigation takes some time getting used to, that is the only drawback.

Some extra images just for you

I give it four out of five blackberry's

***all pictures were taken from Rexwireless website for reference***

Last edited by coreyg510; 04-05-2006 at 01:13 PM..
Old 04-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Coming soon!

Idea matrix from Rexwireless.com
Old 04-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
SMorganPhoto
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 31C7D62A
Carrier: Verizon

Downloading now

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
I give it for out of five yellow thumbs:

For out of 5 grammar teachers are laughing at you, the fifth is slapping his head.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
SMorganPhoto
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 31C7D62A
Carrier: Verizon

Wow, quite an intense program. I will be playing with this as much as possible.

Feel free to add me to BB Messenger!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
For out of 5 grammar teachers are laughing at you, the fifth is slapping his head.
Doh! sonna of a..... thanks.

OK, so here's the heads up on what the support teams response was to my question about delegates viewing the tasks:

================================================== =====
Hi Corey,

In the current release, the delegate function is e-mail only to the delegate / track task on your todoMatrix. Within a couple of months, we will offer a web*desktop component (you will get this as a point release (no $ needed)). The web*desktop / server database paves the way for a "workgroup" capability with todoMatrix.

The feature which you are asking about (in our lingo "workgroup todo's") is in our product plan but won't be introduced until this fall. There are a lot of intricacies to this effort because we will want to include co-workers that may not have a blackberry which means adding a windows applet too.

Let me know if you need anything else / have any other questions,

Nick
REXwireless Customer Service

+++ you wrote +++

Hi there-

I have just downloaded a version of your todo matrix and noticed that there was an internet connection and delegate option in your program. If I set a contact from my company as a delegate, can that person see that they have been assigned that task if they have the program installed on their blackberry?

Thanks for the help as I am doind a review on blackberryforums.com.

Coreyg510

Sent via BlackBerry from Cingular Wireless

================================================== ====

This will be good news in the future. Hope you all enjoy
Old 04-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I'll download this and find out if it meets my needs.

I do need a TODO program that supports multiple concurrent independent TODO lists (one for work, one for home, one for event organization, etc), each of which can be turned on/off (filtered out easily) so that I can only concentrate on one or two TODO lists at a time. I also need the ability to easily reschedule an entire specific TODO list by one or two weeks (i.e. work responsibilities delay a hobby responsibility) without needing to edit the due date of each TODO item. I also need the ability to print out TODO lists on my desktop computer, because I still use old fashioned paper too as well so I need to make sure any TODO software I use, is also "compatible" with the old-fashioned method -- a printed TODO list from the electronic TODO list.

If anyone can tell me that this program supports the above, let me know. Then my money would already be in the mail.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 04-04-2006 at 12:30 PM..
Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Mark-

I only have the trial version right now and there is no print option that I can find. I have emailed the support team again to find out if they have the option with the full version (as I know with some trials there are certain options locked and only available with a full purchase).

I will let you know how this works out!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Maybe itxxx8217;s just me but $59.95 still seems expensive to me even with all the bells and whistles. I want to see the finished product from PocketDay on there List application first before making a decision.

Still a nice review though.

-MrKyoo
Old 04-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

So I asked about printing, this is what I found out:

Hi Corey,

We have an "e-mail all tasks" in a folder, drawer, or view feature in testing right now and development has it scheduled for availability in the 2006.04.15 point release (April 15th). All current users get point-releases without charge.

This allows the user to e-mail any folder or view to themselves (or someone else) if they want to print it or work with it (ex. archive a finished project).

Hope this helps,

Nick
REXwireless Customer Service

+++ You wrote +++

Dear support team,

I have on further question. Is there a print functionality with your program? I am using only the trial version right now and notice that this is not an option. Is this option available with the full purchased version

Thanks

Coreyg510

Sent via BlackBerry from Cingular Wireless
Old 04-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #11
caprib
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default My take on todomatrix

After evaluating it, I decided to buy it. Yeah, its a bit pricey but todos are an application that I work with 30+ times a day, every day. Its an appl that needs to be as "right" as it can be at least for me. I'm a field project manager and I can have ten projects working at any one time so the ability to keep stuff in its own folder, and move stuff from folder to folder, is critical.

No one mentioned this but have you tried the grab-drag feature? This is way cool... I don't have to mod the due dates to see a folder the way I want to prioritize it based on how the day is going and what has cropped up in the way of something else. The way REX does find is super nice too.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprib
After evaluating it, I decided to buy it. Yeah, its a bit pricey but todos are an application that I work with 30+ times a day, every day. Its an appl that needs to be as "right" as it can be at least for me. I'm a field project manager and I can have ten projects working at any one time so the ability to keep stuff in its own folder, and move stuff from folder to folder, is critical.

No one mentioned this but have you tried the grab-drag feature? This is way cool... I don't have to mod the due dates to see a folder the way I want to prioritize it based on how the day is going and what has cropped up in the way of something else. The way REX does find is super nice too.
The grab feature is nice. I didnt mention it because it is more of an advance feature that is sort of parallel to the standard task that blackberrys come with. For instance, if you have several different categories, you can always chage the category of the task to meet your requirements. Todo matrix just takes it one step further. Nice program indeed
Old 04-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
berrynut

Model: 7100T

Quote:
TODO MATRIX FROM REXWIRELESS

Date reviewed: April 4th, 2006
Version number: 2006.03.28
Wow, very nice indeed! I am a new BlackBerry user. I was hesitant to get hooked but I needed to have on the spot notifications in the field with out the annoyance of a ringing phone all the time. I have been doing some searching for programs to help perfect what the BlackBerry was lacking in and I enjoyed reading about the reviews on this forum. I went to the above mentioned web site and downloaded it. Looks great so far!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #14
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

When I first saw this thread - I read Reqwireless (YIKES!) but on more careful inspection it's a different company. I downloaded and bought the product a day later. Both ToDoMatrix and IdeaMatrix are excellent. Sounds like they have lots of ideas for upgrades too!
Old 04-08-2006, 06:52 AM   #15
digitus

Model: 8700g

Is ToDoMatrix integrated with BB Tasks? I would like the tasks to synch to Outlook as well.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

No.. It is not integrated with the standard BB task list.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #17
digitus

Thanks for your reply! Would be nice if it was, then synching with Outlook becomes possible. One feature that would be great is if you can send a task to the BB Calendar as a scheduled appointment.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:55 AM   #18
rexguys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO
Default Integrating to BB-Tasks

Our initial take was the integrating to BB-Tasks would limit many of the capabilities of todoMatrix - there are a lot (a lot!) of features that would get compromised. We continue to believe that our upcoming web*desktop will make a lot of people happy by giving pc desktop access to every field / every data element using a browser / and offer near-real-time wireless over-the-air synchronization.

However, given all the interest and queries we have been getting about the Outlook - BBtasks - todoMatrix, we have decided to discuss some solutions for Outlook-centric professionals again. We do not have any committed plans in this arena yet, and whatever we do in the area will come after the web*desktop is released (probably late June), but we are committed to be the best tasks management appl for the BlackBerry so we will do something soon to improve on this Outlook front.

Thanks,

the REXguys

Last edited by rexguys; 05-17-2006 at 01:29 PM..
Old 04-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #19
digitus

No committed plans is OK. The important thing is that you guys are listening! That alone is a good start.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #20
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

For the REXguys. There was a good suggestion in this thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=31376

Obviously, for future releases. Just some good feedback and info for you