Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
blueenigma
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: t mobile
Exclamation Audio Jack busted

Please Login to Remove!

My audio jack on my 8800 is no longer working. It was working fine until my phone slipped from my workout pants while listening to music. The phone almost hit the floor, but was snapped up by the earbud cord, which was still connected to the phone, with the earbuds in my ears. I think this loosened the audio jack, because right after this happened, the audio was dodgy, with music playing in one ear, then ramping back up in both ears, and eventually lowering to a whisper. I notice that when I jiggle the connector, it will play fine, and when I release it, it goes back down to a whisper. I purchased a new earbud set, and same thing; it's the jack.

I would like to replace it myself as long as no soldering is needed. Can this be done?? Or, is there perhaps a simpler method, like taping down the existing jack so that it is seated more firmly?? any techies out there would be helpful (like you good folks working at BBRepair.com).

I just got it back from repair for the busted USB port (promobility) and NEVER want to send it off again, if I can avoid it. Not only did the incompetents at ProMo take SIX WEEKS to mail my phone back, I noticed the audio jack was slightly askew when it returned. I do believe that while fixing the USB, they unseated the audio jack somewhat, likely precipitaing it breaking in the gym. However, I refuse to send it back to ProMo even if it is their fault as SIX WEEKS is an obnoxious amount of time to be without my Blackberry!!!!

Any ideas on how to fix this?? I have full length feature films, videos, music on my SD card, and am missing my pastime fun!!!

Last edited by blueenigma; 04-13-2008 at 01:36 AM..
Old 04-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #2
Ulukia
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: WYSIWYG
Carrier: T-Mobile
Go BT or send it elsewhere for repairs. Only real options you have other than buying a new device. Since you sent it elsewhere, I'm guessing you don't have equipment protection with TMobile. If you did try that they would have noticed it being repaired even if you tried and would either refuse the exchange or bill you for the entire device. Don't know, to be honest, what they might do.
I have a 8800 with a busted USB port as well and ended up getting a 8320 Curve as a replacement. I'll still send my 8800 in for repairs to BBRepairShop, probably pick up some mods for it since it's no longer my mainstay phone but rather a backup now. Granted it'll cost me some bones but it's the safetynet I'm more intrested in.

Last edited by Ulukia; 04-13-2008 at 01:44 AM..
Old 04-13-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I don't think you can do it without using a soldering iron. I wouldn't attempt the repair myself.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:11 AM   #4
Ulukia
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: WYSIWYG
Carrier: T-Mobile

^^ Agreed. Even with soldering experience, I wouldn't touch it. Not that it can't be done but I think it would be unwise.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (mindlessly posted)

I'd attempt it but that's me! With no soldering experiene it would be better to send off. Especially since you would need to purchase the proper tools for the job!

That's why I have several back up BB's
Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
topdj

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

you need a 15watt fine tip and a very steady hand " NO COFFEE"
I have a beer and it steadies my hands. Of course I been using a soldering iron since the late 70s as a kid. Magnifying glasses help too
Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

yea i would do it too but im good at soldering as well. There is also a possibility tho that you damaged the jack its self and not the soldering of it.
By the way the 8800 model audio jack is pretty hard to do because its half way inside the PCB, so i wouldn't recommend you do it your self.