Model: 8310
PIN: 24311b91
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up Review: BlackBerry Web Shortcuts By Jonathan Fisher

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry Web Shortcuts By Jonathan Fisher
Version: 1.0 Release
Rating 9.5/10
Original Review: [url=http://www.berryreview.com/2007/06/22/review-blackberry-web-shortcuts-by-jonathan-fisher/[/url]
Link: www.jonathanhfisher.co.uk
OTA Link: m.jonathanhfisher.co.uk/webshortcuts
Desktop Link: www.jonathanhfisher.co.uk
Cost: FREE!
Compatibility: OS 4.1+

First thing I have to thank Jonathan Fisher for donating this wonderful piece of software to the BlackBerry community. This is the highest rank we have given on any review so far. This application allows you to have up to 6 customizable shortcuts to websites on your BlackBerry homescreen or ribbon. As you can see above this was immediately useful for me to setup a link to BerryReview.com and BlackBerryForums.com on my homescreen. Now on to what makes this application so great...

First Impressions: The first thing that came to mind when I used this software was "Why didn't RIM think of this?" It is a simple solution to get to the websites that you use on your BlackBerry every day without having to dig into bookmarks. As you can see below there were only two things that made me decide not to give this application a full 10. I admit that I am being a little nit picky but who doesn't desire the perfect solution?

Installation: Jonathan graciously provided an OTA install link for the software that can be found above. As he explains on the install page there are 7 install files that you may need to download. This was my main gripe. You have to install a ~30K shortcut hub application and up to 6 different shortcut applications depending on how many shortcuts you want to use. The shortcut hub is required to manage the links but you can choose anywhere from 1-6 of the shortcut applications based on your needs. I chose 2 of them to start. The shortcut applications themselves are less than 5K and download really fast.

Configuration: Once you install you will see a few new icons on your home screen ribbon. You need to go to the one with a gray background which is the shortcut hub or configuration program. Once you open that you will be greeted with a menu like the one above. The shortcuts are shown from left to right. Even if you dont have all 6 installed it will still show you all 6. You can then click on the first one to configure it and you will see a screen like the ones below.

You will then have to enter in the full address of the link you want including the http://. I am hoping the developer will add this in at a later date (I know I am lazy). You then have to click the update button underneath the link to update the shortcut.

Customization: Jonathan added a innovative feature that lets you change the icon for your shortcut in the home screen ribbon. The icon must be exactly 32x32 pixels and be in a .png format. Once again you must also insert the full url including the http:// in the image link. The developer mentioned that if it takes too long to download then there must be a problem with the URL. As you can see I have created an image for BerryReview and BlackBerryForums already that you can find at the following URL's, feel free to use and share them. The icon in your home screen will only update to the new icon you download after the next time you use the shortcut.

BerryReview Image - www.berryreview.com/br.png
BlackBerryForums Image - www.berryreview.com/bbf.png

Once you have all that setup everything works like a charm. You can move the icons around your homescreen. Hopefully once day the developer will add in the ability to create a hotkey for the each shortcut. The last gripe I had is that as of now the developer has not found a way for users to customise the name of the shortcut so they will all be named "Shortcut1, Shortcut2,..." You can then hide the shortcut hub icon once you are done with the configuration and clean up your home screen.

For BES Administrators: Jonathan has be gracious enough to offer a detailed explanation on how to push out this application shortcut to users on BES. Check it out here.

Conclusion: This application adds some functionality that I am suprised RIM did not add by themselves. It is a natural extension of the bookmark functionality but with easier access to your most common mobile websites. I really hope that Jonathan continues developing and supporting this great solution and I highly recommend it to any BlackBerry user that finds themselves browsing the same sites on a regular basis. Once again thank you Jonathan for this wonderful contribution!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I think its a great program. I was able to provide more customized icons. The key is for the user to be able to understand how to design the .png files which would otherwise make it a more user-friendly program.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

I can understand why the creation of the icons is left to the user. There are plenty of great image editing apps out there that you can use to create your icons. The PNG file format supports a trnasparent color so be sure to take advantage of that feature.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Entropy666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Yes I know. My major gripe with the PNG idea is that every time I reboot the BlackBerry It looses the homescreen icon image and defaults to the original small globe. Has anybody found a way around this?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:28 AM   #5
Lowrider

Model: 8100
Carrier: CBW

kudos to the maker...however it won't work for me. I uninstalled and reinstalled, won't launch browser, so I just use my bookmarks.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
RadioDude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Worked perfectly,can you tell me how to make png icons? thanks

Last edited by John Clark; 08-19-2007 at 09:16 PM..
Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy666 View Post
Yes I know. My major gripe with the PNG idea is that every time I reboot the BlackBerry It looses the homescreen icon image and defaults to the original small globe. Has anybody found a way around this?
There is no current workaround for this. I like the app enough, that I don't care either. One of the best BB apps available. Best part is, it's free.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 AM   #8
Lowrider

Model: 8100
Carrier: CBW

It won't launch the browser, so why not just use a bookmark and stop the cluttered up the desktop.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
kudos to the maker...however it won't work for me. I uninstalled and reinstalled, won't launch browser, so I just use my bookmarks.
Same here, but then when I launch the browser manually I find the particular shortcut already loaded.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Entropy666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDude View Post
Worked perfectly,can you tell me how to make png icons? thanks
You can make PNG icons with most image editing programs. if you want a free one try GIMP
Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
RadioDude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy666 View Post
You can make PNG icons with most image editing programs. if you want a free one try GIMP
well i didnt make them but found some,how & where do i put a couple on my phone to replace the square ones downloaded from above. thanks

i figured it out,thanks anyway

Last edited by RadioDude; 08-23-2007 at 04:27 AM..