numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
New chips, in theory, can switch bewteen EDGE and 3G. Stay in EDGE mode for email and light duty, but automatically up itself to 3G for downloads, tethering, web browsing, etc.

Configurable setting:
"EDGE/3G Mode: [PowerSave]"
Yes they can. When I had the Tilt I have been in areas with just EDGE and it switches nicely. BUT, I have never seen a 3G phone that let you SELECT which one you want to use easily ... they just kind of choose the one you have a signal with, with 3G being primary. If BB made it so we could easily select it through the Manage Connections menu, that would be AWESOME! I would probably stay in EDGE most of the time for battery conservation.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 11-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #22
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Yes they can. When I had the Tilt I have been in areas with just EDGE and it switches nicely. BUT, I have never seen a 3G phone that let you SELECT which one you want to use easily ... they just kind of choose the one you have a signal with, with 3G being primary. If BB made it so we could easily select it through the Manage Connections menu, that would be AWESOME! I would probably stay in EDGE most of the time for battery conservation.
Therefore, our correct behaviour is to DEMAND such a feature. Let us demand a menu setting to select between "EDGE" and "3G".

Wrong protest move: Demand an EDGE model of a 3G BlackBerry. (unfavourable)

Correct protest move: Demand a configurable setting to force a 3G BlackBerry to stay in EDGE. (favourable)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 11-21-2007 at 12:56 PM..
Old 11-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #23
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
Therefore, our correct behaviour is to DEMAND such a feature. Let us demand a menu setting to select between "EDGE" and "3G".

Correct protest move: Demand a configurable setting to force a 3G BlackBerry to stay in EDGE. (favourable)
Oh I don't protest ANYTHING that is not life altering. I was just making a suggestion based on MY usage. MY usage suggests 3G will make my phone a brick half way through the day UNLESS there were a way to choose which network to use. If such a setting would be in place I will want a 3G version, definitely, because I like choices.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 11-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #24
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Really? Everyone I have every talked to that uses their 8830 heavily for browsing or email has worse battery life than my 8310, and it even has a large capacity battery. At the school I work at, I know at LEAST 9 students I talk to on a daily basis with heavy internet usage, and they ALL have worse battery life than me and my EDGE 8310, and they have a larger battery. There are other complaints on the 8830's battery life as well if you search.

Your not going to notice it if you dont browse or do HEAVY email, but those of us that do will hate 3G and the lower battery life.
I find using the phone kills the battery more then the internet. If I make 1 or 2 short calls and use email and internet all day, I can get a full day out of my battery. But a few long calls will kill the battery in 8 hrs.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #25
Spencer_CDS
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F25F08
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Quote:

Agreed; plenty of devices offer this feature all ready (my Nokia N73, for example, allows for GSM, UMTS, or Dual Network modes).

4.2.1.108 / 2.3.0.85
Old 11-21-2007, 09:10 PM   #26
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Just found this about RIM's plans for 2008 and beyond: Unstrung - Handhelds - RIM's Touching New BlackBerry Plans - Wireless News Analysis
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #27
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Not gonna happen. Newly released chips, in theory, can now switch bewteen EDGE and 3G. Stay in EDGE mode for email and light duty, but automatically up itself to 3G for downloads, tethering, web browsing, etc.

Configurable setting "3G Only"/"EDGE Only"/"PowerSave":

"EDGE/3G Mode: [PowerSave]"

PowerSave would mean EDGE only, while going to 3G everytime data requests reached a high rate.

All your message says is they're just going to release a firmware update to downswitch to EDGE (instead of a replacement model) to let you do a powersave mode by keeping the BlackBerry in EDGE mode most of the time.

Even a 2004 released chip, the Qualcomm MSM6255, can switch between 3G and EDGE. That's long enough for the standard 18-month development cycle, and newer superior chips with lower power have already been released, that can switch between EDGE and 3G.
Hmm since we're on this subject .... I don't WANT A new BB unit UNLESS it has a better than Qualcomm MSM6255 cpu. This XScale is HORRIBLE even Intel sold it off 1.5yrs ago.

We also are going to need more RAM .... say 128MB standard. Many ppl are running multiple apps that STILL get updated information from the network & corporate offices. Sure an app is pretty small in .alx form however some like Yahoo GO! uses a LOT of running RAM. Implementing HTML email (even if compressed) will consume more RAM that is shared for everything else even Contacts, and and largest culprit = Call Logs (ppl clear this out monthly pls)!!

I'd like to see the following cpu's in usuage (or TI's new 3000 series); baring a final resolution of Qualcomm embargo of cpu patent infringements (not the below chip)
Qualcomm Press Center- Qualcomm Introduces Worldxxx8217;s First Single-chip 45 nm Multi-mode Solutions for Mass-market Smartphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualcomm Incorporated
SAN DIEGO — November 13, 2007 — Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of advanced wireless technologies and data solutions, today introduced three new 45 nm single-chip solutions designed to enable mass-market smartphones with an unsurpassed range of capabilities. The QSC7230™ for HSPA+ devices, QSC7830™ for CDMA2000® 1xEV-DO Rev. B devices, and multi-mode QSC7630™ for both HSPA+ and EV-DO Rev. B, all feature the highest levels of integration in the wireless industry today and deliver support for third-party operating systems. These three single-chip solutions are the fifth generation of dual-core solutions from Qualcomm, comprising the next evolution of the Company's MSM7xxx-series dual-core chipsets.

Apparantly the first batch shipment occured this week already!

RIM still needs to focus on HOW a consumer uses their phone.
File Browser app that is dedicated and has API for other apps to use. NOT this stupid multimedia app (again I want to look at family photos on a trip & listen to music = my own personal heart warming slide show). USE Nokia's headset jack & the above mentioned chipset to allow users to Video OUT to a projector or even directly to a TV set!

How many business users forget their laptop at the office (our would LOVE TO) and have the PDF or even the PPT on their BB unit and jack into the VGA ports on a TV/projector to display their presentation ??! I'd LOVE THIS!
Old 11-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #28
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
If its true, its good to see RIM is thinking ahead and not sitting on a certain form factor like Palm did. I for one am excited to see what RIM will come up with.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:23 PM   #29
fractured
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer_CDS View Post
I've heard from a few inside folks (*cough*RUMORS*cough*) that there may even be a 3G BlackBerry available from AT&T coming this way sometime in '08.
I would say it's more inevitable than a rumor.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #30
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
Apparantly the first batch shipment occured this week already!
I would say to place your bets on the multi-mode being one of these devices from RIM for the CDMA carriers (specifically one with a large European hand in its cookie jar where it would make sense). With that said, the press release says they will sample one year from now, so I wouldn't expect these to be in CDMA devices until 2009.

Last edited by jibi; 11-22-2007 at 11:51 PM..
Old 11-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #31
Malkier
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
How many business users forget their laptop at the office (our would LOVE TO) and have the PDF or even the PPT on their BB unit and jack into the VGA ports on a TV/projector to display their presentation ??! I'd LOVE THIS!
Might want to look at the Impatica Showmate and what it can do, We use them quite often for presentations.
Closed Thread