Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #1
PredatorXX
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default 8830 battery life?

Please Login to Remove!

How long are you getting with yours? I charged mine last week Thursday its been on since then and I am recharging it today. I do the the normal talk play on the internet and yahoo everyday and I was trying to cycle the battery. Does cycling the battery really do anything?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
wesbenterprise

PIN: 3018D84B
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8462/20; U; en))

It lasted you a WEEK? Mine lasts for a day and a half, tops.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
EmptyInTheHead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Verizon

I've never heard of anyone getting a week out of an 8830. I charge every night out of habit, but I couldn't go more than 2 days without a charge. I hardly use the phone, but do heavy email.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I am told not to charge overnight or long periods of time (over 4 hours), which is different from prior models. It may effect the software. My hope is that someone else can respond to my comment.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
EmptyInTheHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
I am told not to charge overnight or long periods of time (over 4 hours), which is different from prior models. It may effect the software. My hope is that someone else can respond to my comment.
You might want to get a second opinion on that advice. It might effect the battery, but is surely won't effect the software. I expect that if RIM thought you shouldn't charge overnight or for long periods they would have put that in the users manual. The only thing about charging in the manual says "Charge device frequently".
Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
JGrauman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

there's a link on another battery thread that tells of the best way to keep your battery lasting long periods of time. i'm on three days right now doing my first battery drain. a couple full drains is good when you first get it, then keeping it topped of when ever you can keeps the LI batteries lasting a long time. you don't want them going dead all the time, just like a car battery that will drain them very quickly. i also heard that doing a battery pull if you aren't getting long charges helps.. don't know why, but it helped mine... search for that link, it gives good advice
Old 06-29-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
JGrauman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

by the way, turn off your BT if you aren't using it... also helps
Old 06-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
PredatorXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyInTheHead View Post
I've never heard of anyone getting a week out of an 8830. I charge every night out of habit, but I couldn't go more than 2 days without a charge. I hardly use the phone, but do heavy email.
I use my phone for about 1/2 a day and the rest is on the internet. I thought this is odd as well. You get only two days??? I have been running it down all the way till it almost dies completely.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
EmptyInTheHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredatorXX View Post
I use my phone for about 1/2 a day and the rest is on the internet. I thought this is odd as well. You get only two days??? I have been running it down all the way till it almost dies completely.
You should keep quite about this because you're making everyone else jealous There is another rather long thread where a lot of people are complaining about the poor battery life.

I never tried letting mine go ALL the way down. Maybe I'll give that a try sometime. Problem is, I LIVE by my email and a dead battery would surely put me into withdrawls.

Last edited by EmptyInTheHead; 06-29-2007 at 02:02 PM..
Old 06-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
MotoUp
Thumbs Must Hurt

I can almost go two days, but that's only if I don't use the phone much. I charge mine daily. On a normal day of phone and data usage, I use about 75% of the battery. It is almost identical to what I was getting with my 8703.

I found this quite awhile ago on this site somewhere, but I don't remember where exactly. I email it to all of my new Blackberry users. Obviously it's older because of the models used for examples, but I think it still pretty much pertains to any of the new devices.

Quote:
Max The Battery Life Of Your New BlackBerry

Battery life is known to be excellent on many BlackBerry models, such as the model 7280. However, other models such as the 7750 and 7100 often have shorter battery life. There are some scattered reports of new 7250 users having extremely short battery life, including one person who sent me a PM message.

Try this if you are a new BlackBerry owner.
1. You need to break in the BlackBerry battery. Charge-discharge it fully about 3 times. This will max the battery life of a fresh, new Lithium ion.
Note: once you do that, don't get in the habit of fully discharging the battery every time -- to prevent wearing it out -- lithium batteries can be damaged with excessive deep discharges like a car battery can be.... When breaking in the battery, make sure you keep it plugged in long after the battery says it is fully charged (i.e. overnight), you really want to trickle-charge your BlackBerry to top-off your battery.

2. Lithium batteries LOVE to be topped-off. In regular use (After initial first-use conditioning), plug it in whenever you have the opportunity. This will also help keep the battery life maxed out for those days you really need long battery life.

3. If you are constantly starved for battery power, avoid continuously real-time software such as BBToday software; it uses a lot of battery power.

4. Keep your Bluetooth turned off when not in use.

5. If you use Verichat or other instant messaging software, leave it running in the background or quit it when not in use. Also, stay logged off the networks you do not use much.
Keep Verichat running in the background when it is not in use. This puts the software in a low-power state by reducing the frequency of contact-list refreshes (signoffs/signons/away mode/etc) Using fewer instant messaging networks also saves battery power. For example, if mainly use MSN and AIM, log off the ICQ and Yahoo networks.

6. When using your BlackBerry, make sure you keep the backlight turned low or off whenever possible (rather than bright mode).
Most BlackBerry screens (except 7100) is very readable with the backlight turned off, especially in bright office lighting and outdoor lighting.

7. Some BlackBerries have an extended battery available, such as the Nextel 7510. There may be an extended battery product for your specific BlackBerry product.

8. There's the novelty factor of using a BlackBerry for the first time; we tend to play with them much more heavily at first. So your usage may normalize after you get used to it.

9. If you haven't bought a BlackBerry yet, you should be aware that the GSM/GPRS BlackBerries have the longest battery life. Battery life is longer on GPRS BlackBerries than the CDMA and iDEN BlackBerries.

10. Phone calls made on your BlackBerry is the biggest consumer of battery life. If you make lots of phone calls for hours, then your battery life can be extremely short. Making phone calls in areas of weak reception will also use up more battery power.

11. Consider a car power kit, or an office charger/cable. That way, you have more opportunities to top-off your BlackBerry battery.
As noted earlier, it's always a good idea to top-off the battery in a BlackBerry anyway, even if it's not almost dead. It is not necessary to follow the age-old advice of using up the battery before charging, and can wear out modern lithium-ion batteries if done on a constant basis.

12. Your battery may be defective or worn out. Compare your battery life to other people using the same model of BlackBerry.
If you have been using your BlackBerry for a long time, it may be time to replace your battery. If you purchased your BlackBerry as used, you may want to replace the battery with a new one. For best battery life, it is generally best to use genuine brand-name batteries rather than inexpensive aftermarket batteries.

13. Occasionally, it may be a BlackBerryOS issue if you are having unusually short battery life all the time. Early versions of BlackBerryOS on the 7100 tended to use a lot more battery life than newer versions of BlackBerryOS. Upgrade to a newer version of BlackBerryOS.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
PredatorXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyInTheHead View Post
You should keep quite about this because you're making everyone else jealous There is another rather long thread where a lot of people are complaining about the poor battery life.

I never tried letting mine go ALL the way down. Maybe I'll give that a try sometime. Problem is, I LIVE by my email and a dead battery would surely put me into withdrawls.
LOL I live by my e-mail too this thing rocks.

Last edited by PredatorXX; 06-29-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
rockbottom8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: 321D643B

3 days for me with BT on cause i have it sync in my BMW.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:38 PM   #13
mundyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

It looks like one day is pretty much the average for the 8830, that's what I get too. I had the 8703e with the Sedio extended battery and got upwards of 3 days or more of use, does anybody know if/when they will do a battery for 8800's? I will hate giving up the nice thin design of the my spanking new 8830, but one day is pretty much a drag, especially if you have forgotten your charger... Not that any of us would ever do that...

I can't wait for that Tesla inspired battery that can be charged wirelessly!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 AM   #14
packetknife

W/ bluetooth, a background IM client chewing up data/cpu, tons of email, and about ~20m of phone a day I get two full days. The instant I bump that phone up it drops to one days quickly. Overall I don't see this much different than my 8703e. -Pk