BBLoverGurl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Default 9700 OS - Help Choose Please. 979 or 1014

Please Login to Remove!

Hi.

I am a newbie to BB comparitively and new to this forum as well. Thanks in advance for all the help and support and efforts.

Bold 9700 - Currently on the DOCOMO Firmware 5.0.0.1014. Have a few questions though. Please Help

1) Why is this OS considered official if its present on a Carrier's website but not on the official BlackBerry website where they have all continents' carriers listed?

2) I had used .979 also and upgraded to .1014. But I have experienced issues with it - data leak and it is running my bill high and hence bothering me.

3) I learned from the official website that when the letter "J" is present at the beginning of the firmware name (e.g. 9700jEastAsia.. etc) it takes up an additional of approx. 5 MB space irrespective of whether you choose Japanese input or not. So is there a non "J" version of 5.0.0.1014?

4) Lastly can anyone advise me between .979 and .1014? I did not have any noticeable issues on .979. But since I moved to .1014 I've had data leaks. I only use my 9700 for e-mail and only add-on / third party apps are one THEME From app world and Google Talk & Yahoo Messenger. That's it. So for my use, does .1014 have a significant benefit, else I might just go back to .979

also.. since officially OS 6 has been released for Bold 9700; does that mean they will or have stopped releasing updates for OS 5? Will there be no official release for OS 5 after this DOCOMO 5.0.0.1014?

Thank you
God Bless
BB Lover Girl
Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo
Default Re: 9700 OS - Help Choose Please. 979 or 1014

1) Why is this OS considered official if its present on a Carrier's website but not on the official BlackBerry website where they have all continents' carriers listed?

- could be that BB hasnt updated their site / listing yet. its up to each carrier to test the build and see if its suitable for use.

2) I had used .979 also and upgraded to .1014. But I have experienced issues with it - data leak and it is running my bill high and hence bothering me.

- a data leak? can you explain this and how you know it to be true. apps wont use any more / less data then they already do. 4square v1.1.19 will use the same amount of data with the same use on any OS build.

- the OS shouldn't vary its data useage too much either.

3) I learned from the official website that when the letter "J" is present at the beginning of the firmware name (e.g. 9700jEastAsia.. etc) it takes up an additional of approx. 5 MB space irrespective of whether you choose Japanese input or not. So is there a non "J" version of 5.0.0.1014?

- who cares? just remove the languages and stuff you dont need. i remove ALL the apps and featuers i dont need and back when i was using os 5, i had 75+ mb of free memory *after* i had installed all my apps and the OS.

4) Lastly can anyone advise me between .979 and .1014? I did not have any noticeable issues on .979. But since I moved to .1014 I've had data leaks. I only use my 9700 for e-mail and only add-on / third party apps are one THEME From app world and Google Talk & Yahoo Messenger. That's it. So for my use, does .1014 have a significant benefit, else I might just go back to .979

OS 5 will continue to see releases for quite some time (at least 6 months). I'd give os6 a try to see if you like it. I love the new browser and the refreshed look. there are many things that RIM has improved on that i find my self missing every time i use an os 5 device.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
BBLoverGurl

Yup. I have tried OS 6. But I tried the official release and it is bad. I do not believe in downloading leaks.

I really appreciate the way you have answered all my questions, almost. Just still confused whether .1014 has any significant changes than .979 else i'd just go back...

DATA LEAKS I meant even thought my pattern of usage has not changed, the device is using the internet (GPRS) channel for some communication. I do not browse. My BIS plan includes unlimited chatting on google talk and yahoo messenger and unlimited emails... I do not use anything other than that. Browsing anyway in my BIS plan is disabled.

Now only since I have upgraded to .1014 ... i firstly lost an extra 5MB memory which is huge considering the fact that 9700 just has 256 MB for apps

Secondly since I have upgraded to .1014 ... Without me using the GPRS, the internet's getting used for some purpose and since this is neither for the free and unlimited BIS messengers or email, i'm getting charged for it

But again, I do not know and am not sure if the OS .1014 itself is causing this behavior.

Any suggestions on what to do - between .979 and .1014? Please. Thank you
Old 01-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
BBLoverGurl

No one in this forum wants to help?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I've read the thread, not sure, but seems your remaining question has to do with data usage you can't explain.

I don't see how one OS version versus another is going to make a difference. If your data usage is higher than you thought it was, then look at your apps and what you are doing. You mention IM. If you are leaving the apps running in the background, then they are using data as they are checking for updates, all the time, and not just when you are actually interacting with the app.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
BBLoverGurl

Angry Re: 9700 OS - Help Choose Please. 979 or 1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I've read the thread, not sure, but seems your remaining question has to do with data usage you can't explain.

I don't see how one OS version versus another is going to make a difference. If your data usage is higher than you thought it was, then look at your apps and what you are doing. You mention IM. If you are leaving the apps running in the background, then they are using data as they are checking for updates, all the time, and not just when you are actually interacting with the app.
possible but the IM I mentioned - Google Talk and Yahoo Messenger - any activity on it goes through the BIS APN and is unlimited free for me every month (1 billing cycle of 30 days). So unlimited chat 24/7 and unlimited sending and receiving of emails on 10 email accounts i can configure on the BlackBerry.net portal is free.

If they are checking for updates, They won't succeed. I have tried check for updates and it immediately comes with an error coz the regular internet (GPRS) is BLOCKED and BROWSING DISABLED in my BIS PLAN. So there is no other browser icon (WAP Pushed Browser from the CARRIER) in my settings. Only Hotspot which uses Wi-Fi only. Under advanced options - browser push is disabled. under browser - only hotspot shows with dropdown disabled and under TCP/IP - APN is not checked so not configured. Still... grrrr irritating that i can't figure out.

The max my carrier can tell me is when the internet was accessed ... time n date... and it's as low as 10 kb and 20 kb in 2 billing cycles resp. They do not record which sites or what URL was accessed. Sad
And I do not have even 1 single add on application other than 1 theme, google talk and yahoo messenger. that's it. and that's why my free app memory is 129.3 MB.

So there is something that's using the internet APN and the charges my carrier claims are if you have used the BlackBerry device as a modem for internet for the PC. Again I asked them if that's possible for GSM, because I use GSM not CDMA. That time they say, no true it's not possible for GSM. And nor they nor I have a clue how it's happening. But it is definitely getting used - as less as 10 KB a month or max. 20 KB a month not more than that. So the charges are negligible. But it's not about how much money.. It's about what the leak is and how it's happening :(

Last edited by BBLoverGurl; 01-16-2011 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Addn. Info
Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

How about disabling the apn (uncheck the box) and deleting the apn address? That will stop data traffic via the apn.

I'm guessing by the small amount (10KB?) And the fact you do not use an app that uses the apn, that the data traffic is simply overhead. But if you don't need to use the apn, shut it down and see what happens.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
BBLoverGurl

Hey thanks for the prompt reply

Like I mentioned, APN Checkbox itself is disabled. I am getting charged since 2 billing cycles since I moved to .1014. But APN checkbox is disabled much before that as I never had to use it..

That's why I am more harrowed :(
Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ok, I missed that in your earlier post, that the TCP/IP APN setting is not configured.

I don't get it. I still don't think the OS version has any bearing.

Seems to me you have a gripe with your carrier. What do they say about it?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

EDIT: saw your most recent post. my advice, if you really want to nail this thing down, is to either downgrade to a point in time where this wasnt happening OR keep what you have now and record what apps you're using and when. then compare to your bill and try to match up a time to an activity.

--

Personally, i always upgrade to the newest software (as it usually introduces better bat life / mem usage / speed / etc)

However, i always keep my previous 2 OS installs ready for restore should i need them.

It doesn't happen often, but there were a few versions of the 5.0 OS for the 9700 and 8900 that were absolute GARBAGE. even with hybrids, they were still crap. i would upgrade, run them for about 2 days and then downgrade back to the rock solid .624 build.

I say upgrade, but keep your backups nearby, else you will have to reinstall *everything* again.

Also, there are a ton of tutorials out there that show how to strip things out of a BB install. Basically all you need to do is delete / move the files you dont want installed.

I do this before i load up any OS, and i always have a smaller OS footprint because i strip out all the crap / un needed languages / games / apps / things RIM / the carriers put in.

Last edited by somerandomguy; 01-16-2011 at 06:35 PM..
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
BBLoverGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Ok, I missed that in your earlier post, that the TCP/IP APN setting is not configured.

I don't get it. I still don't think the OS version has any bearing.

Seems to me you have a gripe with your carrier. What do they say about it?
Thanks once again. Truly appreciate your timely responses. Makes me love this forum.

Ok. See I too believe it's some carrier leak and started possibly and co-incidentally happening since the time i upgraded to the 5.0.0.1014.

I also least want to believe it's an OS .1014 issue. Because a lot of other people too downloaded it, are using it and no one is complaining.

But Carrier people are not too supportive. All they can tell me is when it was accessed .. time and date .. last to last month twice in same day 10kb each time.

And last recent month only once in the entire billing cycle - 10 kb.

Like I said it's not about money for now since it's negligible. Plus the Carrier does agree i cannot use tethering in GSM since it's not supported, even drivers. Only available in CDMA. Browsing is disabled. Don't even have a WAP Browser. No third party apps

But at the same time they say the kind of charges that are levied are mostly specifically because u used phone as a modem. weird. I even complained and told them I am not doing anything. Even if a customer was browsing or using internet, why would he just use as less as 10KB? These days what content would open just in 10 KB.. it is something that's happening automatically...

i think i shouldn't blame the OS right? Coz then if OS was the problem why only once in a month or twice at the max.

Other than that this OS is giving me no probs. Just sad that since it's a J version, lost 5 MB more space... since with same apps and config... .979 was giving me 134 MB free and .1014 is giving me 129.3..... But sad that .1014 doesn't have a non-J version.

Thanks again. Time to shut this topic I guess. What would be your last words for this issue? you too think it's not the OS right?

I have not yet swtiched back to .979 because i am not sure it's the OS. And if it's really not the OS... then its better to have the latest release because I believe the reason they release later versions is because of some fixes and better performance, so then why to go back?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
BBLoverGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandomguy View Post
EDIT: saw your most recent post. my advice, if you really want to nail this thing down, is to either downgrade to a point in time where this wasnt happening OR keep what you have now and record what apps you're using and when. then compare to your bill and try to match up a time to an activity.

--

Personally, i always upgrade to the newest software (as it usually introduces better bat life / mem usage / speed / etc)

However, i always keep my previous 2 OS installs ready for restore should i need them.

It doesn't happen often, but there were a few versions of the 5.0 OS for the 9700 and 8900 that were absolute GARBAGE. even with hybrids, they were still crap. i would upgrade, run them for about 2 days and then downgrade back to the rock solid .624 build.

I say upgrade, but keep your backups nearby, else you will have to reinstall *everything* again.

Also, there are a ton of tutorials out there that show how to strip things out of a BB install. Basically all you need to do is delete / move the files you dont want installed.

I do this before i load up any OS, and i always have a smaller OS footprint because i strip out all the crap / un needed languages / games / apps / things RIM / the carriers put in.

hmm .. well the one way i know IM is not using more data is because the IM works only with the BIS APN and that is free unlimited.. whether IMs or Emails use a total of 1 MB in a month or 1GB or more...

hmmm.. i think i will stick to .1014. How to delete unnecessary files / rip the OS of the unwanted stuff? where do i find such a tutorial specific for 9700? is it there in this forum? is it advisable for a newbie like me?

what can be possibly removed? how? sorry if i sound dumb bbut i really don't know how to do that... if i know which files to take off exactly from the JAVA folder before running the loader.exe, i would do it. Else it would make more mess... lol
Old 01-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I really don't even have guesses now. You could downgrade just to satisfy yourself (and me).

What I don't get is you are being charged for data over the apn when the apn is disabled.

For what it's worth, scan the posts by dc/dc and find the thread where he tells about having to switch from t-mobile. He's in Afganistan and had a BlackBerry on TMO on an international plan. He had the apn disabled and all was fine for a while. But he started getting hit with charges. He would talk to TMO, etc, and eventually just gave up. So I guess what you are seeing can happen. I don't get it, and don't think you should be charged, but the whole thing is over my head.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
BBLoverGurl

true... guess it's the CARRIER... damn! Anyway I will see for another month which would be the third billing cycle and if they don't have a solution for me, I'd switch too. Thank you very much - both of you - aiharkness and somerandomguy

God Bless You.

Last thing I'd wait from somerandomguy is to tell me if possible, how to rip the OS short and slim and trim - a tutorial link in or out of this forum. Thank you in advance.

Closed Thread