Old 06-01-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
iporter69
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Three Australia
Default Problem sharing BB tethered internet connection

Please Login to Remove!

When my ADSL provider is down as it frequently is, I have used my Blackberry (Bold 9000) tethered to my laptop (Win XPSP2) to access the internet (3G) and recently though it would be neat if I could hook up a Wifi access point to my laptop to share the connection wirelessly around the house.

I have used the network setup wizard to share the connection with other computers - in my case it is only one additional desktop (XP SP2 also)which normally accesses the internet wirelessly through my ADSL modem/router.

I got it all set up with the BB hooked up to my USB port on the laptop and a wifi access point connected to the laptop via the RJ 45 ethernet plug.

The strange thing is on the desktop computer, I can get an IP address OK, and can do an IPCONFIG/NSLOOKUP and see the www.microsoft.com server, I can also ping the DNS server of the 3G provider my BB is connected to.

However, I cannot for the life of me, get the internet on the desktop, despite being able to ping any address I want and including the DNS of my provider. The laptop is still able to access the internet.

A friend suggested a ipconfig/release then dnsflush then renew (tried it on both computers), then my ISP suggested doing a winsock reset by ipconfig/NETSH i i r log then netsh w r none of that helped either.

I am completely baffled by all this. I am suspicious it is some kind of DNS issue but wonder if any networking experts on here can assist me to fix the problem.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
scuzzilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange France

browser settings? :P
Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
iporter69

Default On-going BB internet connection sharing problem

Sorry - forgot to mention browers I tried were IE-6 and Firfox.

In IE-6 under Connections> LAN> Automatic Configuration> I have it set to 'automatically detect settings' and proxy server is unchecked as I am not running via a proxy server (or should it be set to something?)

Not sure what other settings may be stopping the flow of data but I had though of the browser issue myself earlier as the most likely problem area.

Any more ideas on this?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
iporter69

Anyone else have any other ideas on my problem here?
Closed Thread