BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
undemi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: many
Carrier: T-Mobile
Arrow seamless switch from wi-fi to cell tower?

Please Login to Remove!

I was talking with a t-mobile rep at a store the other day. I asked him if the switch btw. wi-fi and cellular was seamless. He actually laughed and admitted that his own curve had dropped calls quite often, esp. when he walks out of the wi-fi range and before the cell signal picks up.

So all the curve users, do you experience the same thing? Does that bother you?

My pearl of 2 yrs is officially toasted.
I am thinking of buying a Curve, but I don't want to sign 2-yr contract. I don't want to spend big bucks to buy an unlocked curve either......Maybe I should just wait for the 9000...

Thanks!

Last edited by undemi; 03-30-2008 at 09:35 AM..
Old 03-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
dhoff4
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Yes it drops; but I'd still get it.

I upgraded (yes, upgraded) from an 8800 to a Curve, so that I could have a better media player, camera, and wifi. I just got an 8820 (8800 with WiFi and GPS), and still prefer the curve.

All that said, it does routinely drop a connection when going from wifi back to cell, even if the cell has good coverage. The best example of the this is when I'm at work, and make a call right before walking out the door. As I get in the car, it regularly disconnects or goes silent.

I suspect the new firmware (4.5, or 4.3 or whatever you call it) will help the situation, but who knows when that will actually (a) ship, (b) be blessed by Tmobile.

All-in-all, it's such a good device, that the wifi dropping issue doesn't bother me too much. I've also noticed that once you load a few applications (gmail, google maps, and an RSS reader) the CPU is routinely taxed.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

With my 8320 running from UMA to EDGE has never dropped a call, the call quality however did change, and I have gotten a strange echo for a few seconds during the call, then it clears up. I think it really depends on location, configuration of the router, and quite possibly the prevailing winds (sarcasm) as to if it will drop or not. Tmo has been upgrading their systems and working on UMA in particular so it *has* gotten better in recent months, but still there are... lets say issues
Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
CaptSwerve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I have never dropped a call switching from UMA to EDGE.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
bbtitanium

PIN: 243908BB

Which firmware are you using?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
undemi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: many

Folks , thanks for all of your reply

Matter of fact, as I think Sept. 2008 should be really realistic for the debut of 9000. I would wait till then to get in.

Pearl --- 09/2006
Curve --- 09/2007
9000 --- 09/2008
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I don't drop calls from UMA to TMo EDGE. The only time calls are dropped for me is if there's no signal or only roaming signal. Then the calls obviously don't transfer.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
With my 8320 running from UMA to EDGE has never dropped a call, the call quality however did change, and I have gotten a strange echo for a few seconds during the call, then it clears up. I think it really depends on location, configuration of the router, and quite possibly the prevailing winds (sarcasm) as to if it will drop or not. Tmo has been upgrading their systems and working on UMA in particular so it *has* gotten better in recent months, but still there are... lets say issues
So just how are you doing that on "the new AT&T" (per your info under your username on posts?) ;)
Old 04-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
flamerbeastie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N\A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'd say I reliably drop about 75% of calls. This (UMA) was one of the major selling points when I bought the 8320, and it's ALMOST pointless. I cant blame it on my router or net connection since I own the T-MOBILE router (linksys - with all the Wireless QoS options set correctly, and port forwarding for the important ports (I use a static I.P. on my 8320 at home)) and I work for the cable company and have top tier services (20Mbps down, 2Mbps up). So, hopefully (fingers crossed, but NOT holding my breath) T-mo or RIM will fix this with the 4.5 (or 4.3) update.

On the flip side, with the last OS update from T-mo, my Wi-Fi speed for data transfer seems to have double or tripled, BUT my EDGE speeds have slowed down. I have tried pulling the battery, reinstalling the OS, but nothing seems to help.......

Verizon Wireless BIS. Tour 9630. v4.7.1.40
Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
thelazzyone

I have never dropped a call. It works perfectly. I always talk on the phone while walking into my house and the switch from UMA to EDGE is seamless. I don't even notice.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
sdpnoy

Model: 8900
PIN: Cushion

I just purchased my Curve on Sunday and so far, switching from UMA to Edge is seemless for me anyways.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
gatortone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamerbeastie View Post
I'd say I reliably drop about 75% of calls. This (UMA) was one of the major selling points when I bought the 8320, and it's ALMOST pointless. I cant blame it on my router or net connection since I own the T-MOBILE router (linksys - with all the Wireless QoS options set correctly, and port forwarding for the important ports (I use a static I.P. on my 8320 at home)) and I work for the cable company and have top tier services (20Mbps down, 2Mbps up). So, hopefully (fingers crossed, but NOT holding my breath) T-mo or RIM will fix this with the 4.5 (or 4.3) update.

On the flip side, with the last OS update from T-mo, my Wi-Fi speed for data transfer seems to have double or tripled, BUT my EDGE speeds have slowed down. I have tried pulling the battery, reinstalling the OS, but nothing seems to help.......
For the past couple of weeks, our call quality started to become degraded and we started to drop more calls from UMA to EDGE. We have 3 UMA phones (2 Curves and 1 Samsung) and use the T-Mo Linksys router, and both have been dropping calls, getting garbled sound, tunnel sounds, so I called T-Mo a couple of nights ago to complain. They recommended that I try my phone at a public Hotspot like Starbucks to see if the call quality was better or the same. So, after doing several test calls on the cellular network and the Starbucks Hotspot, I determined it was the T-Mo Linksys router at home. I called T-Mo back and they are shipping a new one today. We'll see how the quality goes after I hook up the new wireless router.
Closed Thread