Old 01-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
bordal

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TELUS
Default Should I get a 8130 From Telus

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I am currently a Palm Treo 700wx user and I want to change devices, I am looking at the 8130 Pearl and I am wondering If I should get it. Currently I use the calendar extensively, I also use the Treo in tandem with my Bluetooth barcode reader for doing inventory.

Please advice if a 8130 will be a good option for me, I could also get a 8703e but I would like something smaller then my Treo not bigger.

and what about GPS? is the TELUS GPS unlocked? Can I use Google maps and GPS on the device?

also TELUS users, does using gtalk when you have the $15.00 data plan count towards your unlimited Im’ing. Also how does the unlimited web browsing work? Can I use a third party web browser and have it use my unlimited browsing.
any help or advice would be great.

Thanks
Brad
Old 01-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
HardHatMack

Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordal View Post
Hello,

I am currently a Palm Treo 700wx user and I want to change devices, I am looking at the 8130 Pearl and I am wondering If I should get it. Currently I use the calendar extensively, I also use the Treo in tandem with my Bluetooth barcode reader for doing inventory.

Please advice if a 8130 will be a good option for me, I could also get a 8703e but I would like something smaller then my Treo not bigger.

and what about GPS? is the TELUS GPS unlocked? Can I use Google maps and GPS on the device?

also TELUS users, does using gtalk when you have the $15.00 data plan count towards your unlimited Im’ing. Also how does the unlimited web browsing work? Can I use a third party web browser and have it use my unlimited browsing.
any help or advice would be great.

Thanks
Brad
I have the 8130 from Telus and i recommend it. The GPS functions fine and you can use Google Maps and any other GPS application on it. The data plan includes all web browsing and instant messaging, as well as email. You can use any web browser or chat program you like. I use Opera mini and JabberTalk personally.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions. Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
PavementPilot
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: PM me
Carrier: Telus

I also recommend the 8130. As for the bluetooth barcode reader, I dont know what program is needed to understand the data the barcode reader is getting. There is Grid Magic for the 8130 if you are using a Spreadsheet program.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
awesomejim

Carrier: telus

the only thing i found that i didnt like with my bb 8130 with telus is that the sms text field is very short (150 characters), and you can't send or receive picture/video messages
Old 08-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
Phranc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomejim View Post
the only thing i found that i didnt like with my bb 8130 with telus is that the sms text field is very short (150 characters), and you can't send or receive picture/video messages
SHORT Message Service is only 160 characters. Anything longer is an email. That's a restriction of most carriers, not the phone.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Green_Teg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 3056d36d
Carrier: Telus Mobility

Ya only problem I've found is the video and picture messaging isn't there which really sucks! They claim you can do it by sending them as emails to the phone with the service providers extension of the recieving phone but no one ever gets them when I try this. Maybe it's just my phone I dunno. Personally for this reason I don't think I'll get another pearl in the future with Telus unless they support MMS in the future. Other then that it's a great phone and enjoy having it!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
g-off
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: Bell Mobility

yeah, not having mms on my phone is kind of annoying, hopefully something that will be solved in the future.
Closed Thread