Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #61
morissen

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: turkcell
Default hybrid bbcrackman

Please Login to Remove!

I installed the new leaked .114 and the portrait landscape lag was impossible to withstand. I had one edge/EDGE issue which was present in the first half hour of a reset/battery pull. Then it disappeared. Otherwise the 114 was pretty stable but slow.
As I have mentioned I could not endure the lag.
Then I read about bbcrackman's hybrid OS. I installed it.
1-Installation was flawless as was detailed by himself. Installation went smooth word by word.
2-OS was the best I have used. Everything.. memory keyboards radio etc.. have been corrected. I think the guy has done a wonderful job. First time I have regained a tendency to love the storm.

Two thumbs up bbcrackman!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #62
Turbosteve
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon

I too installed the bbcrackman hybrid version .114 yesterday afternoon and while it did seem to have some connectivity issues on first boot (also crashed right after first boot) it seemed to work OK. I upgraded from .99 of which I was reasonably content with [I wanted the new edit misspelled feature and the faster rotate hence the upgrade] after playing with it some last night here's a few observations I found on my device just to throw in the ring.

1. Portrait full QWERTY typing seems much slower and more prone to misspelled words for me, in .99 I was able to crank out some messages in portrait before and now I find every other word with an error.
2. The rotate feature is snappy and more intuitive, I like it now as it seems to work [for me] now.
3. The new edit box for selecting and editing misspelled words rocks!

And the big one that may be a deal breaker for me....

4. MEGA battery drain; I pulled the phone out of the charging cradle at 5pm to leave the office. By 5:45 at home the phone back is WARM, i.e. it's working overtime. No biggy I bang out some emails, took some pictures and some very short browsing and put it in my holster on the counter. Sometime around 9:30pm it died due to a drained battery, I know this time because my last email that came through was 9:27 and arriving at work this morning I had emails from 9:45+ on.

So 4.5 hours of battery life is ummm how can we say, unacceptable. I'm charging as I type and then going to pull it off to see how the life lasts but I suspect I'm going back to .99 as much as I like the accelerometer and edit feature.

My .02 YMMV.
Steve
Old 03-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #63
WMedley
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've been on the .114 Hybrid build since last week, and am very happy to report that I have had no issues. Battery life is execllent. using just 1 bar in a 24 hour timeframe of moderate usage. the new edit box rocks. makes life so much easier to retype misspelled words.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #64
Turbosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMedley View Post
I've been on the .114 Hybrid build since last week, and am very happy to report that I have had no issues. Battery life is execllent. using just 1 bar in a 24 hour timeframe of moderate usage. the new edit box rocks. makes life so much easier to retype misspelled words.
Hmmm, I'm still having some weird issues on mine this morning. When I turned on BB desktop manager it prompted me with an available update for the 4.7 core items. I let it do the update, which seemed to update most if not all the files from the ROM load. Some other issues I'm seeing now too...

Auto On/Off - set to 6:00 AM but if you press the power icon it says scheduled on time is 9:00 AM. I tried changing the time and nothing updates the time for the auto ON/OFF. I even powered off at 8:56 and let it ride out and sure enough it turned on at 9:00 on the nose. I then pressed power to see if this fixed it and now it says 12:30 PM is the next scheduled on time.

Reception - I'm in a fringe area but can usually get 1-2 bars, with this version I'm stuck on SOS unless I go high up in my building...

I think I'm going to revert back to .99 :(

Steve
Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #65
jpjr

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMedley View Post
Yeah I noticed that myself. A bunch of ???? ?? ?? where the version number should be. Good thing I use TeleNav and not VZ Nav.

.114 really blew for me, I just finished loading the Hybrid, and will let you know.

I deleted and reinstalled and it's in English now. Also, if it hasn't been said, if you use Where, you will have to reinstall that also. I've been running this since the day ot came out, and it's by far the best I've seen. Great support for it here:

New .114 Hybrid and it works great. - Page 138 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #66
Turbosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr View Post
I deleted and reinstalled and it's in English now. Also, if it hasn't been said, if you use Where, you will have to reinstall that also. I've been running this since the day ot came out, and it's by far the best I've seen. Great support for it here:

New .114 Hybrid and it works great. - Page 138 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Have you noticed any issues with the auto ON/Off feature? I noticed now that I went back to .99 that my auto is on 12:30pm again [as represented in the power button] and I can't seem to change it.

hmmm
Steve
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM   #67
jpjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosteve View Post
Have you noticed any issues with the auto ON/Off feature? I noticed now that I went back to .99 that my auto is on 12:30pm again [as represented in the power button] and I can't seem to change it.

hmmm
Steve
Don't use it myself. They will answer your question here though.

New .114 Hybrid and it works great. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 03-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #68
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosteve View Post
4. MEGA battery drain; I pulled the phone out of the charging cradle at 5pm to leave the office. By 5:45 at home the phone back is WARM, i.e. it's working overtime. No biggy I bang out some emails, took some pictures and some very short browsing and put it in my holster on the counter. Sometime around 9:30pm it died due to a drained battery, I know this time because my last email that came through was 9:27 and arriving at work this morning I had emails from 9:45+ on.

So 4.5 hours of battery life is ummm how can we say, unacceptable. I'm charging as I type and then going to pull it off to see how the life lasts but I suspect I'm going back to .99 as much as I like the accelerometer and edit feature.

My .02 YMMV.
Steve
I had the same problem with an earlier beta OS for the Storm. It wasn't the OS. It was one of the apps on my phone having the GPS turned on. My suspicion is that it was WeatherBug, because I had the My Location feature turned on or something like that.

I've been running the 114 Hybrid since last Thursday night and battery life has been just fine.
Verizon 9550
Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #69
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US
Default On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel View Post
I had been running a 109 hybrid for a couple of weeks with no problems. When 114 was leaked and I read all the negatives, I thought I would sit tight. Last night I loaded bbcrackman's hybrid. I must admit, i see little difference, with the exception of the cut/copy/paste feature which IMHO makes it worth the upgrade. It certainly makes corrections and edits a lot easier.

Well, my love affair with 114 is over. Yesterday was the first bad day I had with any of the Beta's and it forced me back to the hybrid 109. I suppose I will be waiting along with everyone else for the "official" release.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #70
jpjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
I had the same problem with an earlier beta OS for the Storm. It wasn't the OS. It was one of the apps on my phone having the GPS turned on. My suspicion is that it was WeatherBug, because I had the My Location feature turned on or something like that.

I've been running the 114 Hybrid since last Thursday night and battery life has been just fine.
Yes, it certainly sounds like somthing running in the background. Turbosteve, what 3rd party app's are you running and do you exit them using the BB key and "close" or exit" from the menu, or are you using the "back or ""end" key's?
Any custom theme's?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #71
Turbosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr View Post
Yes, it certainly sounds like somthing running in the background. Turbosteve, what 3rd party app's are you running and do you exit them using the BB key and "close" or exit" from the menu, or are you using the "back or ""end" key's?
Any custom theme's?
I'm pretty good about closing apps when I'm done with them, actually using the close not just backing up. I don't have to many apps on the phone really, but I seem to be having some better luck so far. I downgraded back to .99 and reinstalled .144 hybrid, this time the install seemed to go much smoother. Desktop Manager didn't prompt me to upgrade this time after I used the loader like last time. Overall it seems to be running smoother, still had signal problems where I only got SOS but I think I fixed that by moving from global to 1XEV. I'm still seeing issues with the power button showing the wrong time [currently 4:45pm today ]. I'm also testing the battery too as I did a full charge and just have it sitting around right now.

I suspect my problem might have been in Weatherbug as my storm has been acting weird since installing it 2 weeks ago. I removed it and we'll see if that does it.

Steve
Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #72
Turbosteve

Update> So far so good, it behaved MUCH better last night. No dead battery this morning which is a huge plus. I'm still having some issues with the auto on and off though, while it shut off no problem last night as it should it did not turn back on this morning when it was programmed to. I've also found out what the changing wake time listed in the popup of the power button. It's the time of the next scheduled alarm, for example when pressed now it says it's schedule to turn on at 8:00am. I have a meeting at 8:30 with a 30 min reminder, in retrospect I see this was the time in all the weird wake up times I saw.

Some other changes I've noted in this OS seems to be with the Bluetooth module. The two times I've used it to connect to my car; last night it connected right away and worked as normal and this morning it did not automatically connect but did connect when I manually told it too. It also seems to be sending some different information to the car; my cars nav computer has a section of the screen showing BT connectivity, cell strength etc and normally it only shows these two but since moving from .99 to .114 it shows a little picture of a cell phone there next to the cell strength. I know this is minor but just an observation as something would have to have been changed here on the phone to reflect this.

Steve
Old 03-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #73
USA

Carrier: VZW

Been using .114 for about five days now. This is the first OS I've loaded that seems close to ready for release. Almost makes me not want to use a hammer on my Storm.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #74
BES-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA View Post
Been using .114 for about five days now. This is the first OS I've loaded that seems close to ready for release. Almost makes me not want to use a hammer on my Storm.
Seriously? Do you mean the regular 114 or Crackman's 114 Hybrid? Regular 114 was the first beta I had real problems with. No number pad in the phone app and the flip from landscape to portrait "feature" was enough to make me want to go back to 109 but I've since applied Crackman's 114 Hybrid V1 and can't see any reason to try another beta OS unless it contains some new feature(s) and even then I'd probably wait for Crackman to come out with a hybrid of it.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #75
USA

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES-Bill View Post
Seriously? Do you mean the regular 114 or Crackman's 114 Hybrid? . . .
Sorry. Yes Crackman's 114 Hybrid V1. I still get something that I started to see in 109 where the AppSwitcher comes up when I quickly press the Menu button. Sometimes I have to hit the menu button quickly three or four times before I get the menu. I haven't taken the time to check the forums for a fix.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #76
xraykate08

Model: 8100
Carrier: Suncom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1219 View Post
You know where go get it.....
I don't :(

EDIT- NM thought it was something else!!!!!

Last edited by xraykate08; 03-27-2009 at 01:08 PM..
Old 03-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #77
Turbosteve

Update on my unit and the issues for anyone following along. Going on a little over 10 days now and all is working great. I've had no issues with lockups or crashing, in fact from the 18th reinstall I went all the way to this Wednesday the 25th before doing a battery pull. At this point I was getting phenomenal battery life (4 days of no charger with about 50% life left). I did the pull only because it was starting to get sluggish and I saw the memory was down to sub 10mb. Worked great again after the pull, so I did a little more experimenting and reinstalled Weatherbug again. Big mistake, this program with as fun and great as it is drained my battery to half in one day (auto updates and location fix turned off) I also found the overall performance of the phone to get sluggish and the memory was slipping away faster than normal. Out it went and welcome back a great phone.

BTW for anyone who's interested, this is actually a pretty tough phone, I dropped mine from waist height again this last weekend (4th time) on to tile and it's still working good. Granted there are some scratches on the case now but thank goodness for a decnet build quality!

Steve
Closed Thread