BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
Grimlock

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Vodafone
Default BES Domino 2.2 outgoing mail issue...

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all,
I've been working on a test server here at work essentially as a learning experience on both Domino and BES for Domino. So consider me a Domino n00b!
I've had training and experience with Exchange but this is a very different beast indeed!
After quite a bit of trial and error (and formatting/reinstalling ) I got Domino up and running and users that can send mail out.
We don't have incoming mail available as there is no proper routable domain yet, still pushing to get a bridgehead server to fix that up.

Now here is my conundrum.
The user account that I have set up in Domino can send mail out fine to any address, however that BlackBerry handheld that I have assigned to this mail account cannot send mail out.
The error on the Domino console is "Router: Error transferring message *number* via SMTP to *address* Invalid Internet address specified."

Now when I was setting up the Domino server and the test users, I did originally get this error when sending directly from the users account in Notes.
I fixed this by editing the users location document. In the Mail tab I hadn't entered anything in for "Internet domain for Notes addresses when connecting directly to the Internet.". So I added a basic non-existent (i.e. fake) domain. Then I was able to successfully send mail out to any address.

I just don't understand how it isn't working from the BlackBerry.
The Domino console shows that it sees the message coming from *user*/*domain* in the exact same way whether logged in and mailing out directly from Notes, or sending from the handheld. It works sending from Notes and not from the handheld... "Invaid Internet address specified."...

Any ideas guys?
I rang RIM and they said that it must be a Domino config problem and to contact them.

Thanks.

Last edited by Grimlock; 09-15-2005 at 06:12 AM..
Old 09-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #2
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Is your subject line blank? If not put some text in there and try again. I seem to recall this would generate the problem awhile ago, but may not be the fix you are looking for.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Grimlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoward
Is your subject line blank? If not put some text in there and try again. I seem to recall this would generate the problem awhile ago, but may not be the fix you are looking for.
No mate. I've always entered a subject line for the test messages i've sent.

Thanks anyway.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
SCBerry

Model: 8310

In the Domino address book, do you have a Global Domain document configured with the domain name specified.

Not sure if this will correct you problem but i have had issues if the domain is not specified.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:28 AM   #5
Grimlock

Got it working!
In the Current Server Document I had nothing specified for Fully qualified Internet host name.
I set this to my non-existent/fake domain name and now it's sending

Strange thing is though that the address it sends from is *name*/*domain*%com%com. Though I guess that doesn't really matter at this point. The main idea was to get it sending.

Thanks for the input guys!