Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #41
mpallo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheschi View Post
Hopefully, one of the "dropped call people" like myself will be able to isolate it to the phone itself. Perhaps it's a batch of flawed phones that have incompatibility issues with the 4.2.1 software versions.
My first 8100 saw these issues on the 4.2.0 OS that was manufactured in Canada. My wife had the issues with her original handset made in Mexico. (Purchased in Nov. 2006)

We both recently got refurbs which were manufactured in Mexico and she is seeing it now on .103.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #42
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just to reiterate, I have an 8700 and a Pearl and they are both having this problem

Also, I just got a new Sim card and it didn't help (not that I thought it would, but had to take it out of the equation)
Old 08-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #43
Terrain
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
Just to reiterate, I have an 8700 and a Pearl and they are both having this problem

Also, I just got a new Sim card and it didn't help (not that I thought it would, but had to take it out of the equation)
They do occasionally go bad. Your problem sounds like a network problem and not necessarily related to the original point of this thread.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 PM   #44
jjaquith

Carrier: AT&T

I've got an AT&T edition Pearl, 4.2.0.73, platform 2.2.0.41 and I constantly get "call failed" in areas where I know there is service. It is the worst thing to have to call someone 6 times on a 25 minute drive because the phone will not stay connected

I work for an AT&T retailer and while the phone is reliable if I am at work or at home, it is an absolute nightmare to use while driving 23 miles to and from work!

Is there any major benefits to upgrading to the newest software, and will I see better call quality and fewer dropped calls? Its almost painful for me to recommend this phone to my customers because of the phone experience I have been having with it.

Dropped calls aside this is an excellent phone, but this is ridiculous!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #45
Terrain
Thumbs Must Hurt

The phone is a secondary feature you know. RIM didn't put too much effort into it overall.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #46
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrain View Post
They do occasionally go bad. Your problem sounds like a network problem and not necessarily related to the original point of this thread.
I assure you that I have the exact same problem as the OP. I was just stating that the problem affects both Pearls and 8700's thereby (probably) eliminating a possible hardware issue, since there is probably very little in common between the two devices
Old 08-16-2007, 01:20 AM   #47
Terrain
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I assure you that I have the exact same problem as the OP. I was just stating that the problem affects both Pearls and 8700's thereby (probably) eliminating a possible hardware issue, since there is probably very little in common between the two devices
Which also means they have very different hardware that requires very different drivers and thusly, very different coding ^^
Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 AM   #48
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780

You guys are crazy. This issue that I speak of has something to do with the OS. When I first got my Mexico manufactured TMobile Pearl in December 06, I was using 4.2.0 version .64, then .71, the .73. Then when I upgarded to the first 4.2.1 version this issue started happening. Using the same exact pearl, I eventually downgraded to .64 and it was fine. Went back up to .96 (I think) and the issue came back. I went back to .64 and it went away.

I foolishly tried to clean the trackball on my Pearl and broke it in the process. I have a Pearl that I got like 2 months ago It is a Mexico manufactured device. I had been using it on .64 for a few days and it was fine. I have been using the new TMo .103 OS for two days now and had one dropped call, but that may have been a no signal issue. I haven't used it enough to provide any other feedback.

Bottom line is that it has everything to do with the OS, possibly coupled with hardware, which I can not confirm.

Last edited by zimbu1234; 08-16-2007 at 08:04 AM..
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #49
n0tad00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbu1234 View Post
Bottom line is that it has everything to do with the OS, possibly coupled with hardware, which I can not confirm.
I agree totally and ditto what Ophidian says as well. I am in Dallas as well and have the exact same issues with two different Pearls. Anything over the Cingular .73 release has the problem. I've tried them all.

It's an OS issue and TMobile/RIM needs to fix it.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #50
jmhijazi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: N82

not here all is fine
Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #51
ski837547
Thumbs Must Hurt

I hope everyone that is experiencing this dropped call issue reports it to T-Mobile support. The more customers that call and report it, the higher priority they will put on fixing this issue. Obviously T-Mobile management was not aware of the dropped call issue on the other 4.2.1.x releases, or they would have tested this issue more thoroughly before they released .103. The key people at T-Mobile are not reading these forums, so we need to get these issues logged by calling T-Mobile support.

Last edited by ski837547; 08-16-2007 at 11:08 AM..
Old 08-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #52
ian13550
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATTWS
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihellion View Post
I'm the friend Guitarded spoke about, I am also having this issue. Here is what I've found so far

-Tmobile support sucks - I've called and gotten lost/disconnected twice while people were "looking into this"
-The problem occurs all over my city (Albuquerque)
-The problem occurs while driving, and while stationary
-The problem occurs with 2 bars as well as with 5
-The problem is not issolated to just tmobile to tmobile, I can, sadly, rather easily duplicate the problem with cell phones or land line calls
-The problem started IMMEDIATELY after upgrading my software yesterday morning. I had used the phone extensively earlier in the morning, before the update and it worked fine.
-My roommate has a razr on tmobile and it is not experiencing any network issues.
-Issue effects both incoming and outgoing calls.

So I have the choice of a microphone delay or dropped calls? I'm begining to think this pearl just doesn't like working as a phone, might be time to dig the old 8700 out of the closet and start using that again.
Same issue for me in Denver on TMO. I called TMO Support and they told me to wipe my phone EVERY WEEK. Stupid answer. It happens standing still with 5 bars of coverage, in the car, in my house, in the office, etc. Some days are great -- some days are horrible. North Denver seems worse than downtown all the way into WY along I-25. Bah.

I haven't tried .103 yet (I'm on .101) -- but every single version since 4.2.1 came out has had this issue for me. I can't remember how far back it initially showed up though.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #53
Ophidian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrain View Post
Which also means they have very different hardware that requires very different drivers and thusly, very different coding ^^

So, if we can rule out hardware since they have different drivers and coding, than the only common thread connecting two devices running different (yet similar OS's) would be the OS's interaction with the network.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #54
n0tad00d

Quote:
So, if we can rule out hardware since they have different drivers and coding, than the only common thread connecting two devices running different (yet similar OS's) would be the OS's interaction with the network.
Yep, and only certain locations.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #55
alex555550

Carrier: TIM Germany
Question

Hy,

First I know you already did it but once again.
  1. Whipe you`re berry
  2. Wait so he shows a 507 pull out the battery
  3. Pull it back in
  4. Reinstall the OS
  5. Do not reload a backup or a app like opera
  6. Befor you send Service books wait some seconds so the berry can register with the network correctly.

Sometimes the prob with Berrys is, that software like apps kill the memory. Or backups are incomplet and damage the config. The prob couln`t be the SIM because I think he reads out the data during boot and then it`s done.

I`ll hope that helps.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #56
cheschi

Carrier: Tmobile

I just called T-mo, and they say it's a known issue and are trying to collect data to send to RIM. If I weren't such a skeptic, I'd think they were on top of it. The girl who took my call told me that her Supervisor with T-mo had the issue immediately after upgrading. I had hoped they would have a new batch of people to this problem, since your average user isn't on BBforums, upgrading with every new release. For many, this will be the first time that they'd be aware of the problem.

With them no longer having .64 on their website, as well as their probably not wanting to walk so many customers through "downgrading" anyway, perhaps they will get this resolved quickly.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I encourage everyone with this specific problem to call and report it to T-mobile.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #57
laurentio

Model: 9700b
PIN: Feel free to ask.
Carrier: O2-UK

it does. or at least it keeps dropping some of mine. sad tmobile...
linkedin.com/in/laurentio
Old 08-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #58
ShelW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

Really strange, that some people have this problem (dropped calls) and others don't.

I actually was talking with my wife today, when I suddenly heard total silence. I started to (mildly) panic, thinking that I perhaps DID have this issue... I hung up, called her back, and the first thing she said to me was "Sorry, I was in an elevator, and got disconnected"....

Haven't had any other problems with dropped calls. Wonder why?

Perhaps it has to do with the area people are in?

On another note, did anyone get a text message from T-Mobile, advising them that there is a new OS out, and recommending that they upgrade? Never got any notice.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #59
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheschi View Post

I have a sneaking suspicion that a new phone with the same SIM card will work for me.
Well, all i can say is that your suspicion is wrong, why?, well because i had lost my pearl for the first time this past sunday and i was having the dropped calls issue with that phone. I used to have .73 installed on it before with no dropped calls issues.

Then i upgraded to the TIM italy version with no dropped calls issue. One day, maybe after couple of months, i started to get the dropped calls issue and it was very annoying, since i knew .73 worked fine i downgraded only to find out the problem persisted ( at this point i said to myself that it was a network issue ). I called tech support and they had me doing what i already knew and that was to powercycle, pull battery, etc, etc.

When i got my NEW pearl with a NEW SIM this past monday, i installed .103 and for the first time today i got 2 dropped calls, i was like maaaaaan NOT this CRAP again.

I KNOW FOR A FACT IT'S A T-MOBILE NETWORK PROBLEM!!!! and they should address this issue ASAP!!!!!!!!

P.S. I think whatever is happening to the network they aren't notifying the customers and why should they? they'll have to offer lots of credits to lots of accounts so i think they are just keeping they're mouths shut until they work out whatever it is that they are doing and i bet it has to do with that T-MO @ HOME service or whatever.

T-MO STOP USING US AS GUINEA PIGS AGAINST OUR WILLS!!!!!
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650

Last edited by [IFC]Area51; 08-16-2007 at 04:01 PM..
Old 08-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #60
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 12:15 PM..
Closed Thread