BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:59 AM   #21
tbhuang2
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

I also think it would be amazing if they resolved this issue. I hate checking my email on my phone only to see them AGAIN when I check my Gmail on my computer.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #22
tobyw

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
BES. Yes the real reason why BIS is so lacking. Well BES is expensive and unless you work for a big company you're not going to be using it, so touting that as the cure all is ridiculous as well as your statement that he should go back to his Palm. If BB wants to compete in the smartphone arena, especially the consumer one, then its is going to have to be less reliant on their BES product and put a little bit more functionality on what most of their newest customers will be using.
This is a sensible post I think. I have posted before on here that RIM needs to up its game with BIS if it hopes to take a bigger slice of the consumer/prosumer market. Like the OP I used my Treo 650 with Chatter and when I moved to a Pearl with BIS I really missed being able to file messages in folders. IMAP IDLE would be nice, but this was my big bugbear.

I use BIS/OWA at the moment and it works ok, with (albeit sloooow) 2-way sync. This is somewhat of a half-hearted solution as I find it irritating that read message status does not propagate from mailbox-->handheld.

I do understand that RIM doesn't want to cannibalise the BES market, but there must be some way to improve functionality yet segregate and product differentiate things.

I should say that I would love to pay for hosted BES, but for various reasons I have to use accounts on servers which I have no control over and can't be moved off these.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #23
Berrymedic20
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Look, whatever RIM originally designed the Blackberry e-mail system to do, they would be foolish not to change it, this many years later, to suit the demands of both the business world and the consumer market.

When the BIS system was developed, I'm told, it was more akin to a 2-way pager system that allowed you to read email. Fine! But it's 2008 now, and the technology is more than easily accessible to make it so email functionality is full fledged. There is no reason to think RIM doesn't know this!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #24
patberry

Model: 8310R
PIN: 242DB81B
Carrier: at&t

When I switched from my TMO 8100 to my at&t 8310, I had some email issues (not working properly due to a corrupted messages database and rogue service books) and the at&t customer care couldnt fix it, so they transfered me to RIM support.

I talked with the guy for about an hour (he fixed my stuff in like 10 minutes) and asked him about how the email works on BIS. He explained that I had been getting push functionality out of my gmail ... he called it GIMAP (i think). I asked him if anyone else had this and he said the following have it:

Gmail
Yahoo
GoDaddy

I was like 'GoDaddy?!?!?!' and he said yeah, all email hosted on their systems would push like gmail/yahoo.'

I was looking for hosting a month ago and ended up going with godaddy just for this reason, and it works great.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #25
tobyw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrymedic20 View Post
Look, whatever RIM originally designed the Blackberry e-mail system to do, they would be foolish not to change it, this many years later, to suit the demands of both the business world and the consumer market.

When the BIS system was developed, I'm told, it was more akin to a 2-way pager system that allowed you to read email. Fine! But it's 2008 now, and the technology is more than easily accessible to make it so email functionality is full fledged. There is no reason to think RIM doesn't know this!
Yes, I agree. I shudder slightly to write this, but I am seriously impressed with the iPhone's stated integration with Exchange Activesync and also their new Mobile Me service that was announced at WWDC. The problem is I dearly love my BlackBerry, I like the build quality and I can't imagine not having a proper keyboard. However, when my contract comes up for renewal in a couple of months it is looking exceedingly likely I will jump ship for an iPhone.

You are right that RIM must know that BIS needs some work. The way I see it, though, is that RIM are in a rather tricky situation. They know that many small to medium businesses would drop BES and switch to BIS if it offered fully-fledged reconciliation and sync of mail and some form of calendar sync. So, they are stuck with the problem of what to do about this - I can't see a painless way forward here to be honest.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #26
Berrymedic20

Wirelessly posted

And you're not the only one who's going to be impressed with the new iphone technology! If its as good as it sounds, I may very well jump ship before my contract expires. I too love my new blackberry though, so we'll see!

You're right, it helps to look at it from their point of view. Blackberry was first and foremost a business utility. They have to find a way to satisfy them AND the rapidly expanding consumer market.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #27
PPCMD

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

So if RIM would just offer BlackBerry Unite users would have their own personal BES servers handling their critical data and not need BIS at all. I mean the carriers could just charge more for BB Unite customers and reoup their loss revenue.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #28
tobyw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCMD View Post
So if RIM would just offer BlackBerry Unite users would have their own personal BES servers handling their critical data and not need BIS at all. I mean the carriers could just charge more for BB Unite customers and reoup their loss revenue.
Possibly, although from what I have seen even Unite! is starting to look a bit shabby now in the face of what we are seeing from RIM's competitors. I think RIM needs to do some serious thinking about how it wants to position itself in the market. This is really going to require them to decide what future they want for BES and, more importantly, what size of business they want to target it at.

For me personally, I see BIS as seriously lagging behind any of their competitors' offerings... So, pretty please RIM - I love my 'berry and don't want to leave it
Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #29
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: Mine...
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by patberry View Post
When I switched from my TMO 8100 to my at&t 8310, I had some email issues (not working properly due to a corrupted messages database and rogue service books) and the at&t customer care couldnt fix it, so they transfered me to RIM support.

I talked with the guy for about an hour (he fixed my stuff in like 10 minutes) and asked him about how the email works on BIS. He explained that I had been getting push functionality out of my gmail ... he called it GIMAP (i think). I asked him if anyone else had this and he said the following have it:

Gmail
Yahoo
GoDaddy

I was like 'GoDaddy?!?!?!' and he said yeah, all email hosted on their systems would push like gmail/yahoo.'

I was looking for hosting a month ago and ended up going with godaddy just for this reason, and it works great.
I would love to hear what setting you have for your emails via BIS. I have a Gmail account, GoDaddy account, and have my work email come to the BB via OWA (via BIS as well). All of them are dreadfully slow! I would love to find out if my set up is bad and see how to fix it to get my messages sooner, as other have stated here.

Also, how do you check to see what version of BIS I am using?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #30
Berrymedic20

Quote:
Originally Posted by searly View Post
I would love to hear what setting you have for your emails via BIS. I have a Gmail account, GoDaddy account, and have my work email come to the BB via OWA (via BIS as well). All of them are dreadfully slow! I would love to find out if my set up is bad and see how to fix it to get my messages sooner, as other have stated here.

I also have a Gmail and a OWA exchange account going to my blackberry (no godaddy though, can't help you there). I set both of them up in BIS, using nothing unusual.

Procedure...
1. Log into BIS on the web, or on your BB (depends on carrier, mine's Verizon, here's their link (https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw)).

2. Add account.

3. Follow simple steps... enter email address, password, etc.

4. Make sure the delete reconciliation check box is checked, under options.

5. For gmail, add a filter. Have it set so that if the "From" field contains your email address, messages aren't forwarded to the device (prevents that whole duplicate sent messages phenom.).

This worked well for me... I get messages pushed to my device instantly with gmail, and with a brief delay for exchange owa (not more than a few minutes I don't think). I also seem to get good message status reconciliation for exchange.

By the way, I've reached a harmony with gmail that works so-so until RIM decides to make their integration fully sync'd. I'm using the above setup, and I also have the gmail app (OTA Mobile) installed, but NOT set to notify of new messages. I can receive and delete messages using the BB software, and then once in a while go through them on the mobile app so that they show up as Read on the server. It also helps if you get HTML messages to read them on the gmail app. Not the best solution in the world, but its satisfactory for now. I tried using the gmail app exclusively, but notifications were extremely spotty... sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes an hour +.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #31
tobyw

I got my hopes up that the new 2.5 version of BIS that is rolling out would provide some new functionality. HTML is great but if I had the choice I would pick better reconciliation and mailbox access to folders etc over that any day.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #32
Berrymedic20

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyw
I got my hopes up that the new 2.5 version of BIS that is rolling out would provide some new functionality. HTML is great but if I had the choice I would pick better reconciliation and mailbox access to folders etc over that any day.
2nd on that one! But who knows what RIM might still have up its sleeves...
Old 06-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #33
patberry

Model: 8310R
PIN: 242DB81B
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by searly View Post

I did the same thing as Berrymedic20 (including the filter to prevent double sent messages, although that means if i send it from my gmail i dont get a copy on my bb).

As for my godaddy hosted account, i just typed in my email and password into att's blackberry portal (att.blackberry.com) and it auto set everything up.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #34
tbhuang2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrymedic20 View Post
Wirelessly posted

2nd on that one! But who knows what RIM might still have up its sleeves...
You guys honestly have faith in RIM? After more than half a year of an OS beta (still yet to be officially released), the most they are boasting is HTML email and you're expecting more? Lol wow.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #35
dave79

Model: 9780
PIN: Ciao :)
Carrier: Vodafone Italy

Any rumours about BIS development?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:40 AM   #36
tbhuang2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave79 View Post
Any rumours about BIS development?
I've read in a few places that they will have BIS 2.7 (we're currently at 2.5) up sometime around summer 2009... sigh. It IS supposed to offer better Gmail support, that's all I know.
What happened to 2.6? I have absolutely no idea.
-Threaded SMS
Old 12-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #37
dave79

Model: 9780
PIN: Ciao :)
Carrier: Vodafone Italy

I was hoping of something more juicy than better gmail support :(
Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #38
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
What happened to 2.6? I have absolutely no idea.
Gotta love RIM's version labeling. What happen to Device OS 4.3 (8830) and 4.4 lol.

As far as Gmail intergration goes I hope they get it similiar to the way Yahoo is now.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #39
tbhuang2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave79 View Post
I was hoping of something more juicy than better gmail support :(
Seriously, it's RIM--since when do they introduce anything revolutionary and/or groundbreaking? I learned to not get my hopes up when it comes to their "updates".
-Threaded SMS
Old 12-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #40
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Sounds like a frustrated Windows Mobile user.
Closed Thread