BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #141
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Yes, if it can't connect during the homescreen update it uses the NA icon. I guess that's another thing to add to the options screen...what icon to use when it can't connect.

I found the "uncaught exception (Field added to a manager while it is already parented)" error that fonejunkie mentioned earlier. That will be fixed next time I put out a release.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #142
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

I just got the latest version... like the changes to the Homescreen Text (Conditions + Temp + Time).
Old 02-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #143
tateu

First test with special buttons for the Storm (though it is meant to be installed on all >= v4.3 devices)...

V0.84 Alpha 2009-02-28 16:01:48 PST
http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php?f=bbweather_alpha

The buttons can be turned on in any device but should only work on the Storm, they are set to Field.NON_FOCUSABLE. There is a new menu item for "Storm Buttons" (not sure if I like the text or maybe it shouldn't even be a menu item, maybe it should just be in the options screen, instead). This will turn the Storm button row on/off. Right now, there are two buttons to allow switching to the other 2 weather screens. The plan is to add a 3rd button in the middle as a drop down selection list containing available profiles (not sure when or even if this will be done).

And sorry, this one is going to delete all of your settings and weather profiles...and I still haven't looked into a way to save/load the settings to/from system memory or an SDCard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
I just got the latest version... like the changes to the Homescreen Text (Conditions + Temp + Time).
I am glad to be of service...
Old 02-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #144
tateu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink2 View Post
Before I installed this app I would say I was at 40-60% after 17 hours.
[...]
Now I am at 50% in 6-7 hours.
I'm now at over 31 hours since the last time I plugged my device in to charge. BBWeather updates the homescreen every 30 minutes and I have run it numerous times manually, installed 2 new versions, rebooted 4 times and my battery level is 55%.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #145
fonejunkie
Just me

Tateu:

I just noticed something, not sure if it was there before the current version or not... If I increase the size of the homescreen font (base size font), the text on the Current Conditions screen changes, but so does the menu... and the result is that the values for the various settings are off the screen. See the attached pix for examples.

The second screenshot shows the font set at BBSansAlpha, 7. The last shot show what happens when I increase the font size to 8.

Could you set the menu font at the system level font setting and allow the Base Size Font to only control the Current Conditions screen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbscreen[154].jpg (62.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg bbscreen[156].jpg (63.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg bbscreen[155].jpg (62.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by fonejunkie; 02-28-2009 at 07:52 PM..
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #146
tateu

Yeah, that's new a few releases ago...I was playing around with it...but you're probably right...I should leave it set at the system font and size.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #147
Pink2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu View Post
I'm now at over 31 hours since the last time I plugged my device in to charge. BBWeather updates the homescreen every 30 minutes and I have run it numerous times manually, installed 2 new versions, rebooted 4 times and my battery level is 55%.
I changed my settings back to the 30 min update for the home screen and have only gone into the app 1ce today and I am at 60% after 11 hours. I am on .167 OS if that has anything to do with it. Since this is Sat, I use my phone less and used less apps.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #148
greggray
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZ

Quote:
First test with special buttons for the Storm (though it is meant to be installed on all >= v4.3 devices)...

V0.84 Alpha 2009-02-28 16:01:48 PST

The buttons can be turned on in any device but should only work on the Storm, they are set to Field.NON_FOCUSABLE. There is a new menu item for "Storm Buttons" (not sure if I like the text or maybe it shouldn't even be a menu item, maybe it should just be in the options screen, instead). This will turn the Storm button row on/off. Right now, there are two buttons to allow switching to the other 2 weather screens. The plan is to add a 3rd button in the middle as a drop down selection list containing available profiles (not sure when or even if this will be done).
Works great on my Storm! I like the new buttons! I agree that the Storm Buttons option should probably be in the options menu. Thanks again for your great work!

-Greg
Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #149
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Question

I have the latest 0.84 Beta (2009-02-28 16:01:48 PST) installed on my 8830 (OS v4.5.0.135). My Options are set to Activate on Startup, but the app never updates on its own following a device reboot. Is this possibly a result of the changes several iterations back where the delay before weather is downloaded when device first boots was changed from 60 to 30 to 15 seconds? Thanks again for all of your hard work -- this application rocks!

Last edited by visortgw; 03-02-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #150
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

this app needs:

1. radar maps
2. weather alerts
3. 5 day (one screen) no scrolling forecast
Old 03-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #151
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

also - been getting device freezes (extended hour glass) since installing this app - nothing else installed since BB weather

i have a bold
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #152
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: Mine...
Carrier: Verizon

Tateu,

Love the app, thanks a ton for doing this stuff. I very rarely ever get jealous of the iPhone, however, one of the native iPhone apps I always have loved is the weather App. Your work has eleviated my prior jealousy! This App rocks...

I was wondering, and yes, it is just wondering, if the touch/swipe feature of the Storm can be built into this app. Meaning, you previously added the buttons for "Daily/Hourly/Current" into the Storm version of the App (nicely done). I was wondering if it could be built as to utilize the touch/swipe actions as far as if you swipe right to left it changes your locations, and if you swipe down to up it changes the daily/hourly/current settings for whatever location you are on. I will be honest with you and tell you I know NOTHING of writing code and building apps so if this is just a ridiculous inquiry I apologize. It is really me just thinking out loud. Anyway, thanks for everything you have done so far and if you never touch this app again it is already more than I expected.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #153
tateu

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
My Options are set to Activate on Startup, but the app never updates on its own following a device reboot. Is this possibly a result of the changes several iterations back where the delay before weather is downloaded when device first boots was changed from 60 to 30 to 15 seconds?
Are you saying:
1) it doesn't update only right after it boots, but 30 minutes later it does update?
or
2) it doesn't ever update the homescreen?

If 1), then yes, bringing the delay down to 15 seconds could cause this, it has happened to me once or twice since switching it to 15 seconds. What happens here is that, when the device boots, BBWeather is executed before all the network connections (3G, Wi-Fi, etc.) are completed. I don't know of any way to specify in which order apps and network connections are booted, so I put a delay into BBWeather, the first time it boots. This only effects BBWeather when you boot your phone. After 30 minutes it should auto update, or you could just manually run it when you boot your phone.

I consider this to be such a small problem (how many times a day or week do people boot there phones?) I haven't put too much thought into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
this app needs:

1. radar maps
2. weather alerts
3. 5 day (one screen) no scrolling forecast
1. It's on a list of things to do, but down very, very low. I haven't even begun to think about how to accomplish it.
2. It's on a list of things to do, but down very low. I have given a little thought to this and looked into the NOAA website as a source of alerts (based on a user suggestion).
3. Is definitely planned (no time table though)..I was thinking the days would be lined up left to right, with a weather icon and high/low temps underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
also - been getting device freezes (extended hour glass) since installing this app - nothing else installed since BB weather
i have a bold
Hmm, wish I had something constructive to tell you...haven't had anything like that here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searly View Post
I was wondering, and yes, it is just wondering, if the touch/swipe feature of the Storm can be built into this app. Meaning, you previously added the buttons for "Daily/Hourly/Current" into the Storm version of the App (nicely done). I was wondering if it could be built as to utilize the touch/swipe actions as far as if you swipe right to left it changes your locations, and if you swipe down to up it changes the daily/hourly/current settings for whatever location you are on.
There is a specific development environment for the Storm (JDE v4.7)...I haven't looked into it but my guess would be that, if the Storm has this feature available, then I would be able to access it. Added to the list of things to do.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #154
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
3. Is definitely planned (no time table though)..I was thinking the days would be lined up left to right, with a weather icon and high/low temps underneath.
Perhaps you could take a cue from the weather portion of the BBToday app - it's pretty much as you describe...
Attached Images
File Type: png bbtoday.png (13.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-03-2009, 01:33 AM   #155
tateu

Special version just for the Stormites... (I do not have a Storm, so this version has only been tested in the simulator.)

If your BB browser is set to Blackberry emulation, the php download script should get your OS version from the browsers User Agent and auto direct you to the Storm version if you have OS v4.7 or above. If you were directed to the correct version, the description on the OTA download screen will say "Experimental (2009-03-02 22:08:15 PST) -- BlackBerry Weather Information with WiFi (Storm OS 4.7 or greater)."

If you were not auto directed to the Storm version from the regular OTA link, you can force it to grab the OS 4.7 version from:

http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php...r_alpha&os=4.7

Quote:
V0.84 Alpha 2009-03-02 22:08:15 PST (Storm only Release)

* Options screen text is now set to the System default font and size, instead of the BBWeather font and size.
* Changed order of a few items on the options screen
* Removed "Storm Buttons" (permanently or temporally) in favor of...
* For Storm only: added left/right and up/down swipe functions
--Left to right: change display screen = Current Conditions -> Hourly Forecast -> Daily Forecast -> Current Conditions
--Right to left: change display screen = Current Conditions -> Daily Forecast -> Hourly Forecast -> Current Conditions
--Up = Previous Location
--Down = Next Location
The Storm buttons have been removed. Is there anyone who thinks they should still be available as an option, even though the swipe functions have been added?

Should there be options available to turn swipe functions on/off?
--Left/Right = 1) Off, 2) Change Profile, 3) Change Screen
---Up/Down = 1) Off, 2) Change Screen, 3) Change Profile
Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #156
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary

Quote:
Special version just for the Stormites... (I do not have a Storm, so this version has only been tested in the simulator.)

If your BB browser is set to Blackberry emulation, the php download script should get your OS version from the browsers User Agent and auto direct you to the Storm version if you have OS v4.7 or above. If you were directed to the correct version, the description on the OTA download screen will say "Experimental (2009-03-02 22:08:15 PST) -- BlackBerry Weather Information with WiFi (Storm OS 4.7 or greater)."

If you were not auto directed to the Storm version from the regular OTA link, you can force it to grab the OS 4.7 version from:

http://www.tateu.net/software/bb.php...r_alpha&os=4.7

The Storm buttons have been removed. Is there anyone who thinks they should still be available as an option, even though the swipe functions have been added?

Should there be options available to turn swipe functions on/off?
--Left/Right = 1) Off, 2) Change Profile, 3) Change Screen
---Up/Down = 1) Off, 2) Change Screen, 3) Change Profile
If there's not too much overhead to keep the buttons, I wouldn't mind seeing them as a user-toggled option.

Nice work; this has always been my favorite BB app, and I appreciate your efforts to make it even better.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #157
greggray

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZ

Quote:
I tried both links but don't get the new version. I do have a Storm.

-Greg
Old 03-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #158
Hanwei

Amazing. Loving the updates.

tateu, with the newest update, when I'm in the options menu, and after I've made my changes... I hit menu/save... and when I try and hit the back button to return to the conditions page it brings up the "changes made, save/discard/cancel" pop up... if I hit Save again... the pop up disappears... but then if I hit the back button to get out of the menu... or if I hit menu/close... the pop up reappears.

If I already hit menu/save after making any changes... that pop up shouldn't show up right?

the only way I can make that pop up go away is if I choose "discard". Then i can leave the options menu and return to the conditions/forecast/hourly pages.

But the changes I made WERE saved... so that pop up is just a bug, it seems.

weird.

EDIT: Another friend of mine with a Storm is having the same "Changes made" pop up in the options menu and can't get out unless he presses "discard".

Another thing, when I swipe from left to right, the correct screen shows up next... however it "enters" the screen from right to left. It's not a big deal... but it's just a bit awkward when you swipe from left to right and the screen enters from right to left.

Last edited by Hanwei; 03-03-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #159
Hanwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggray View Post
I tried both links but don't get the new version. I do have a Storm.

-Greg
You know the version number didn't change right? You have to look at the time stamp.

You want: "Experimental (2009-03-02 22:08:15 PST) -- BlackBerry Weather Information with WiFi (Storm OS 4.7 or greater)."

With the "(2009-03-02)" being key.

Last edited by Hanwei; 03-03-2009 at 10:37 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #160
oriofan8

Carrier: Verizon

.......nevermind

·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Last edited by oriofan8; 03-03-2009 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: didn't read post correctly,,duh
Closed Thread