BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
massgolfer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default Bold in London - Orange, Vodafone or O2?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I am about to sign an 18 months contract for a Bold with one of the carriers. The pricing is similar but what worries me the most is 3G data speed.

How do the three carriers compare? I hear O2 has a slow 3G (a friend has it on his iPhone). Is Vodafone the best/fastest for London area? Any insight is appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by massgolfer View Post
Hi all,

I am about to sign an 18 months contract for a Bold with one of the carriers. The pricing is similar but what worries me the most is 3G data speed.

How do the three carriers compare? I hear O2 has a slow 3G (a friend has it on his iPhone). Is Vodafone the best/fastest for London area? Any insight is appreciated.

Cheers.
I am on Orange and there 3G speed is ok. However, their 2G (EDGE) speed is very slow - so I would not recommend Orange if you don't have good 3G coverage. Orange and Vodafone have agreed to share their 3G networks (see Vodafone and Orange to share mobile phone network | Media | The Guardian) so maybe either Orange or Vodafone might have better coverage than O2. I haven't used Vodafone, but if there 2G network is better than Orange, Vodafone might be the way to go.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
bogman

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
I am on Orange and there 3G speed is ok. However, their 2G (EDGE) speed is very slow - so I would not recommend Orange if you don't have good 3G coverage. Orange and Vodafone have agreed to share their 3G networks (see Vodafone and Orange to share mobile phone network | Media | The Guardian) so maybe either Orange or Vodafone might have better coverage than O2. I haven't used Vodafone, but if there 2G network is better than Orange, Vodafone might be the way to go.
I am on O2. I find it ok - not spectacular, but fine to use. I was in the US recently and connected to AT&T 3G - which was about the same as O2 3G. I haven't used Orange or Vodafone 3G, but was on Vodafone prior to this and their 2G was about the same as O2's.

To be honest, I find 3G a bit underwhelming - its faster than 2G alright, but still nothing like a broadband connection on a PC. Purely from a personal perspective, if I were you I would go for whoever gives me the best deal on the phone and contract. Take a look at the threads on here, some people have got cracking deals on new Bolds.

Last edited by bogman; 11-03-2008 at 12:45 PM..
Old 11-04-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
massgolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman View Post
I am on O2. I find it ok - not spectacular, but fine to use. I was in the US recently and connected to AT&T 3G - which was about the same as O2 3G. I haven't used Orange or Vodafone 3G, but was on Vodafone prior to this and their 2G was about the same as O2's.

To be honest, I find 3G a bit underwhelming - its faster than 2G alright, but still nothing like a broadband connection on a PC. Purely from a personal perspective, if I were you I would go for whoever gives me the best deal on the phone and contract. Take a look at the threads on here, some people have got cracking deals on new Bolds.
Thanks for the replies, thats helpful.

I dont really expect broadband type of connection on Blackberry but waiting for a page to load for several minutes basically renders internet useless for me (dial-up speed?).

I looked thru but didn't see any deals posted for UK... were there any specific ones you are referring to?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #5
blackcatz

Carrier: Orange

I'm on Orange and the 3G performance and coverage in London is very good.
The 2G performance is ok, but the coverage can be a bit patchy outside main cities.

The biggest hipcup for you with Orange is that I don't believe their actually selling the Bold at the mo - it was put on stop early in September due to the number of issues that had reported to them and it's not come back on yet.

I did check with Orange account manager last week and he hadn't got a new 'release' date for it yet.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
massgolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatz View Post
I'm on Orange and the 3G performance and coverage in London is very good.
The 2G performance is ok, but the coverage can be a bit patchy outside main cities.

The biggest hipcup for you with Orange is that I don't believe their actually selling the Bold at the mo - it was put on stop early in September due to the number of issues that had reported to them and it's not come back on yet.

I did check with Orange account manager last week and he hadn't got a new 'release' date for it yet.
It also seems that Orange puts a 6mb limit on data. That could be a dealbreaker when O2 offers unlimited data.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
bogman

Quote:
I looked thru but didn't see any deals posted for UK... were there any specific ones you are referring to?
Here you go:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...o-you-get.html
Old 11-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Boldboy

Model: 9900

Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers.
Why worry about 3G, HSDPA is much faster!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
massgolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldboy View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but which carrier provides HSDPA (otherwise known as 3.5G)?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldboy View Post
HSDPA *is* a part of the 3G specification, like GPRS and EDGE are part of the 2G spec.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #11
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but which carrier provides HSDPA (otherwise known as 3.5G)?
Vodafone and T-Mobile for sure, possibly others too.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #12
dmacd

Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
It also seems that Orange puts a 6mb limit on data. That could be a dealbreaker when O2 offers unlimited data.
Orange has increased their data limit to 250MB. Better than their old silly 6MB limit but probably less than everybody else.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
massgolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
Orange has increased their data limit to 250MB. Better than their old silly 6MB limit but probably less than everybody else.
Yes, Vodafone has a 500mb monthly limit.
Closed Thread