Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default What causes increasing lag?

Please Login to Remove!

I have (since the App World began) installed quite a few apps on the phone.

However, on reboot, and usage, even with memory leak, I am still always between 50-80mb free.

So, why does my device lag more now (on certain message openings, camera initiation, etc..), than it used to? I do not have any more running apps (well, one more), than I ever had. But, I get the spinning clock enough to annoy me (but, not enough to kill the experience).

Is there some sort of "usage" RAM, or RAM cache, that is not reported anywhere, and is limited?

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post
I have (since the App World began) installed quite a few apps on the phone.

However, on reboot, and usage, even with memory leak, I am still always between 50-80mb free.

So, why does my device lag more now (on certain message openings, camera initiation, etc..), than it used to? I do not have any more running apps (well, one more), than I ever had. But, I get the spinning clock enough to annoy me (but, not enough to kill the experience).

Is there some sort of "usage" RAM, or RAM cache, that is not reported anywhere, and is limited?
Applications that access the Media Card can be a big part of it. You might try copying data off the card, formatting in BB and then copying back. Other things that can slow it down are long threads of information. TONS of text messages, long BBM convo's, etc. 3rd party themes will also affect performance. You might try cleaning some things up (even though you have a ton of space). Otherwise, start pulling some applications off and see if it helps.

Good Luck!

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Applications that access the Media Card can be a big part of it. You might try copying data off the card, formatting in BB and then copying back. Other things that can slow it down are long threads of information. TONS of text messages, long BBM convo's, etc. 3rd party themes will also affect performance. You might try cleaning some things up (even though you have a ton of space). Otherwise, start pulling some applications off and see if it helps.

Good Luck!

E-
Thanks for the feedback. I have lag before I use any apps that access the Media card. However, I have 14mb of messages, and 5mb of SMSs. Maybe I will back them up, and, try the BB without messages, to see if it's faster -

Are you saying, in theory, even if I am not accessing those messages, their existence can cause lag in other apps (like Google Maps)?

For sure I seem to have more spinning clock during EDGE flow, then I have had in the past - I am assuming it is because the processor is doing something else at the same time, and, the data flow is taxing it - but, again, this only seems to be happening lately. Before, data access flow rarely caused spinning clock.

Any more insight, if only for informational understanding, would be appreciated.

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 05-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

And PS - As much as I love them, I don't use themes - I have DEFINITELY noticed the performance hit when i do try them ...

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

The more apps you have the less memory you have available. The more mail/SMS' you keep the less memory you have available. And if those apps use data and they are running in the background, then the device will get slower and slower.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
The more apps you have the less memory you have available. The more mail/SMS' you keep the less memory you have available. And if those apps use data and they are running in the background, then the device will get slower and slower.
Yea, I understand that, but that's where I'm perplexed.

I am not using any more apps that use data, and, I still have 70mb in RAM, which is more than sufficient to run everything - so, what is slowing it down?

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Curve 8900)

What operating system are you using for the 8900?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

4.6.1.206 - I am an OS upgrade junkie .... it's been several weeks already since a new one.

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

After you do a battery pull and it boots up, press and hold down the BlackBerry menu key. That should bring up the Application Switcher. List what apps are running, if there are any other than the regulars (BB Messenger, Browser, Phone, Homescreen Icon, Messages).
Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

No, all the standard apps are running, nothing new. I appreciate the desire for the feedback.

However, I wasn't so much asking my initial question to make an actual troubleshoot, as I very well know all the steps one can take, and, with having every BB since the 7xxx series, I am pretty well versed, but, I really was interested if someone could explain how RAM is used on the BB - do the apps, when in use, access the directly the RAM that we see is free in the status or memory displays (the same memory as where apps are stored)? I believe there are 2 processors in the 8900 - what do each do? And, when data comes flowing in, would a spinning clock denote that the data is coming in faster than the processor can process? And, how does available RAM fit into that data flow (EDGE) processing picture? And, what might be the cause, of the sometimes 5-15 second deadlocked "pauses" (without spinning clock) on the 8900 when opening some apps, or going to certain menus within apps (but random) - as I see no data flow (or memory card access) happening at that moment, what is happening during those pauses?

Inquiring minds (me) would love to know.

Anyone have a more technical explanation, or a link to somewhere that does, so, maybe it can help me assess more of these problems in the future ? (Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish ....)

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com

Last edited by jeffharris; 05-04-2009 at 11:29 AM..
Old 05-05-2009, 04:27 AM   #11
yyhhcc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Maxis

what about blackberry event log, which you can access by Alt + 'LGLG' ?? Does this slow down the processors too if you have too many applications and BB logs down the events for the applications that you have?
Closed Thread