Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
awm62

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs down Curve / 8300: Lost SMS & call log - Memory leak problem

Please Login to Remove!

With the release of the Curve, I finally made the jump from Palm and Windows Mobile to Blackberry to take advantage of its messaging capabilities. I have a brand new AT&T branded Curve (8300) with the same memory "leak" problem. A few days after purchase (and thus several days of SMS, call logs and e-mail messages), all SMS messages, call logs and a few e-mails disappeared. I then started searching the web for similar problems and it appears that this has been a common issue with the Pearl (and apparently now with the Curve, too). It would have happened again today if I did not remove the battery to free up the memory! Yesterday evening, the free memory was at more 20 MB. This afternoon, it dropped to 13.8MB. No change after I did turn/off the device. After I removed the battery, the free memory was back to more than 21 MB. There are several problems: Firstly, as soon as the free memory drops below 12 MB (the reserved space for "media" files), the Curve starts deleting SMS and e-mail messages WITHOUT any warning. Secondly, I have to remove the battery AT LEAST on a DAILY basis to avoid the loss of my messages. My operating system is up to date: v4.2.2.89 (Platform 2.4.0.39).I use BlackBerry BIS and I am not connected to any BlackBerry BES.

It is truly ironic that the reason I switched to Blackberry was due to its messaging capabilities; yet, that's the feature causing major headaches. Over the last 10 years, I have NEVER lost any messages on my Palms nor Windows Mobile machines. I switch to Blackberry and I lost messages within days!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Set the "Reserved Pictures Memory" to 0Mb. Put the pictures on an SD card. Also, there is a later version of the OS available (Not AT&T's release but they're all the same.) Check the sticky at the top of this 8300 forum.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
awm62

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

After the loss of my data a few days ago, I set the "Reserved Pictures Memory" to 0MB. The "Device Memory Limit" is set at the lower of the two options (12MB). Even if I had some pictures on the device memory, it still does not explain the memory leak which could only be rectified by a hard reset (and with it regaining more than 7MB).

I probably wait until an official OS release from RIM and/or BlackBerry. Otherwise, I am sure they will blame it on an "unapproved/unreleased" version.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

All OS's are written by RIM/Blackberry and then sent to the carriers for testing and release. They are the same other than bug fixes. You can always downgrade to the AT&T version if you don't like it. It doesn't change any branding on the phone, splash screens, or Service Provider information. All that remains the same. You just get the bug fixes. The biggest one is that the calendar issues are fixed in the Optus released version.
Closed Thread