Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t
Default Best FREE RSS Reader is ... the OS 4.2 Blackberry Browser

Please Login to Remove!

Until now, IMHO, Newsclip has been the best RSS reader -- decent, aesthetics, automatic updates, and, most importantly, it extracted text only full articles for easu reading on the device.

However, 3 things now make the Blackberry Browser itself the best RSS reader for OS 4.2 devices. First, RIM has integrated an RSS reader into the Blackberry. If you navigate to a webpage with links to RSS feeds and press menu, you'll see an option to add a web feed. Also, if you navigate directly to the feed page itself, it will display as an RSS feed in browser - with options to view the opening snipet and to read the entire page.

Second, is the increasing availability of mobile feeds, such as those that can be found at http://today.reuters.com/mobile/default.aspx, and at RSS Feeds - News, Travel, Weather, Entertainment, Money, Sports, Tech - USATODAY.com (mobile feeds are in the lower right hand corner). These feeds are optimized for mobile devices in that they point to text-only or mobile-friendly pages that can be loaded quickly in the browser. These are also mobile-friendly: BlackBerryCool, BBHub,
Engadget. The BBforums rss feed doesn't link to the bbforums wap site, but Pinstack's forum does RIM Blackberry Forums - Pinstack.com.

Third, is the ability to book mark a page and set it to automatically update every hour, 4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, or 24 hours.

Put these features together and you have a free and extremely light-running RSS feeder optimized for the blackberry. I created a new folder in my blackberry bookmarks called "RSS Feeds" and boomarked my favorite feeds with update each hour. When the feed has been updated, its bookmark shows in bold and italicized texts. I've uninstalled Newsclip. I think RIM hit a homerun with this one.

Also posted this at Pinstack.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:31 AM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Just to note, PinStack uses a 'lite' theme for vBulletin rather than actual WAP-compliant code, if I'm not mistaken. If memory serves correctly, they use my buddy Zachery's implementation of the stripped theme. Zachery is one of the best coders I know in the vBulletin scene, along with his long-time collaboration partner Brian (who's a drinking buddy of mine). With the stripped theme installed, combined with the browser agent code, if your browser is detected in its list, it will 'force' the 'lite' theme on you for better viewing. This is the cheap way of doing a mobile-formatted layout.

...anyhow, the RSS feeds are the same (vBulletin's extremely poor implementation of RSS), one way or the other - it's just one points to an actual WAP site and another points to a site masquerading as faux-WAP.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 AM   #3
weegee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Opera Mini has the best implementation of RSS feeds IMHO.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
grradams
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

Yep opera mini takes the cake, hands down.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
mortgageguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by grradams
Yep opera mini takes the cake, hands down.

I like PicoNews better.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegee
Opera Mini has the best implementation of RSS feeds IMHO.
I agree with this statement -- except for the fact that opera can't automatically update feeds. I spend enough time out of signal range (subway and planes) that I need to be able to read feeds even when I'm offline.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Jasper101
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Excuse my ignorance but what are RSS feeds? i always see sites with them but what do they do? Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

RSS feeds contain headlines and a few lines of text (usually the opening paragraph) from newspaper articles, blog entries, etc. They are also time stamped so that an "RSS reader" or "RSS aggregator" can tell you how many updated articles there are, the time of the updates, etc. From the RSS page you can browse the headlines and opening paragraphs or you can click on through to the full article.

They're a great way to get all of your news in one place.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

shouldn't this thread be in software or rants...
Old 12-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

I have a sweet set up that many of you may enjoy

I subscribe to about 35 different feeds through Bloglines (Bloglines)

It's a fantastic online reader that lets you group feeds into folders and it has keyboard shortcuts to jump from article to article. The great thing is that once you read an article it disappears. So you only ever see new articles you have not yet read.

So here's the real value. Bloglines has a mobile edition that works great on the Pearl. So basically it takes all 35 sites I read and turns them into mobile versions whether they actually publish a mobile version or not.

The really great thing is that its memory works both ways. In other words if you read it on your pearl - it won't show up on your computer back home when you look at the page again. Same thing - look at it on your computer and later in the day when you open up bloglines on your pearl - you won't see the stuff you read that morning on your computer.

It's a great solution for me and I hardly ever go to any other site when I am surfing on my pearl.

PS: It's a free site and I can't post links yet - but it's dub dub dub bloglines dot com
Old 12-23-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
canonis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

I use bloglines and I love it.
Closed Thread