BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
AbidingSeraph
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9850
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES Admin response to Battery drain issues.

Please Login to Remove!

It seems more and more these days, that users are accusing this BES admin of applying some nefarious heavy handed and CPU taxing policy which is for the explicit purpose of draining their battery to the point of non-use, or so they would state (This is not to say that I don't investigate these claims, however I generally cannot find any corollary to these supposed problems).

My question is to all you admins out there....How do you respond to your users with these types of claims?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
dpeters11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Default Re: BES Admin response to Battery drain issues.

Honestly can't say I've had this issue. No one's complained to me about Blackberry battery life (though we have plenty). iPhone and Android on the other hand...

Things I would look at, what apps have they loaded, how old is the battery, bluetooth/wifi, OS version.

Maybe install Application Resource Manager if it's on 7.1.
Application Resource Monitor now Available for BlackBerry Smartphones with Battery-Saving Benefits «Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog
Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #3
Kul
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
Carrier: Vodafone (UK)

Everyone here complained about this issue and we applied the latest software patch, which apparently had a update to resolve something on the battery plus more importantly dropped down screen resolution from 80% to about 10%. This really made not much difference on the screen but battery draining issue was gone .

Last edited by Kul; 01-30-2013 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: grammer
Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

This is IMHO not a problem of the BES or some policies. It is a problem of the current hardware in combination with a battery with a low capacity.
I personally used a 9900 for 2 month, but got rid of it because I was not able to get around a day with a single charge.
OS7.1 helps a little, also turning down the backlit of the device does help. Not using BBM also will help.
Still if you have about 3hrs talk per day plus internet, email, the battery does not last longer then 10hrs.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
AbidingSeraph

Yes, I happen to agree with Nobody7290 that it is not a BES problem. However, my difficulty is articulating *why* it is not a BES problem. There are no tools (to my knowledge) that will provide empirical data showing the cause of the battery drain for devices prior to 7.1. This leaves me with the excruciating task of explaining this in a simple, yet brief and concise manner to users. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

do you log calls, SMS and PIN messaging?
enable mem cleaning?
enable encryption?

all the above can effect battery llife to some degree

users can try this too

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on Smartphone. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Disable Compression on media card? go to Options, Device, Storage

using a custom theme? try it for a day the factory default one to rule out your theme

remember the esc key closes most apps, except for GPS and some chat clients. the other apps need to use menu and then exit or close. The farthest key to the right is a home key and does not close any apps per se but will end calls.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
AbidingSeraph

With respect to the above questions, the only thing that I mandate via policy is the encryption. I have had these users attempt all of the above suggestions (disable compression etc.), however nothing seems to work (these are remote users, so i can't troubleshoot their devices directly). I have even had them wipe the devices completely and re-create the BES account, but the issue persists.
The only common denominator is the model of device (9360). They all have the same device, and the same IT policy is not affecting other model devices on the same server, but the drain doesn't begin until after the enterprise activation.

Last edited by AbidingSeraph; 02-14-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

do you enable PIN, SMS, and BBM logging? that uses more data
It doesn't even matter

Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
JakeKole

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2

I would ask them how they think I (the admin) is doing that, which policies specifically. If they can't answer then accuse them of making baseless accusations.

Point them to the many posts on various forums where people are saying that brand new z10 battery drains faster than z10 after a few weeks. Apparently there is more processes running on first load than on normal use and this is draining battery. Possibly indexing all the syncs and activating etc.

Another thing is to disable nfc and other services that are not in use like any other phone. Another thing to consider is that all the major HD touch screen devices require to be charged every single day. So the z10 is on par with them, but where it may be different is that traditional bb devices have had long battery life for many years so for normal bb users it may take some getting used to.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Z10 will scan your emails, social accounts to learn how you type and connect users in contacts. this does drain the battery quick for the first few days.

Also dont put in your old SD card as it will be scanned as well. best to back it up format it in device and transfer data over.
It doesn't even matter

Closed Thread