BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 05:51 AM   #1
yohan

Model: 7290
Default Blackberry will NOT activate!!!!! What to do???

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering if anybody can help me with a problem that I am having with a BB located in the US. A bit of background info is that this device was working fine for x amount of months then suddenly it stopped receiving mail. You could send mail but not receive. IT admin in the US spoke to T-Mobile who advised to upgrade to OS4 for the 7730. After doing this we could not activate the device wirelessly or via the desktop manager 4.0 software.

Now according to T-Mobile the device is on the RIM relay fine and they can see it. It receives PIN messages fine, registers on the network, GPRS in capitals, etc, etc. However via enterprise activation wireless it sits at activating and goes no further. When done by desktop manager it creates a new encryption key and sync to completion but after removal it does not receive anymore emails and you cannot resend the IT policy to the device. Reports an error. (Cannot regenerate security encryption either from the BB)

No I am a relative newbie to the BES scene so am fairly familar with the procedures, etc but by no means an expert. Now the user can configure desktop redirector and that works perfectly. Is it possible the provisioning for the device is incorrect? And by the way I have re-created the user here in the UK and setup another BB on O2 here that works perfectly! This to me I would assume that the BES sides is working fine if another device activates and works. Any help is much appreciated and suggestions...

Running W2k, BES 4.0.0.114, Exchange 5.5

cheers
Old 10-12-2005, 07:06 AM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Sounds like something one of my admin did to herself the other day. Check the folder synchronization settings. The only way you can do this is with the desktop software. My admin was fooling around with this an unchecked all the folders. Afterward she can send mail but not receive.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
TheDarkSheppard

Carrier: Rogers
Default where is the activation email??

Since the device is stuck on “Activating” I wonder if the user receives an email in their mailbox. I am assuming that the BES does not get the PIN number from the device or is still stuck on “Initializing” and the Blackberry times out. There might be an email either in the users mail account or in the spam filters that could be stopping the activation process.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:13 AM   #4
yohan

unfortunately have gone through all of the redirector settings numerous times...i am not sure but I think it has something to do with an encryption problem which may explain why it works cradled but not on wireless. the fact that you cannot activate the device wirelessly and regenerate the encryption key on wireless leads me down this path...but there may be however many other paths to go down.

you should definitely be able to activate this thing on wireless. OS4 and BES4 should be no probs. i cannot resend the IT policy to the device either after it has been removed from the cradle...any other thoughts as this is driving me nuts???
Old 10-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

1) You could try looking at one of the other three activation issue threads already started on the first page of the BES forums...

2) Wipe the device and reload again.

3) Wipe the user's account on BES and rebuild it.

4) Check BES error logs and see what messages it is spitting out about that user.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #6
yohan

1) We have wiped the device completely. Removed the user from BES including deleting the stats attached to the mailbox

2) The email is internal and thus no spam filters are in place. I know the file is hidden in the user's mailbox but is there a way to find it?

3) If another device activates via wireless successfully would this not point towards the device and/or network in the US? As a kill command is sent then we have tried again on his device to no avail

Which logs should I be looking at? O2 have requested the logs to be sent over to them including ROUT, DISP and MNGT logs to check out. What exactly should I be looking for?

The first step in the activation is to verify that the mailbox has the *.dat file with the encryption. Is this correct?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:36 AM   #7
boma0021
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

It is a etp.dat file that you should recieving.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:42 AM   #8
yohan

can you actually search the mailbox for this file?

or is it better to check the MAGT logs to see if it has been sent and received? correct me please if i am wrong
Old 10-12-2005, 08:49 AM   #9
TimboinNJ

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

We've been having this problem as well with the Domino version. All I've been able to gleen from RIM is that mail file size & available memory on the handheld affects how long it takes to activate. Eventually, it works. In some cases as many as 2 or 3 days later! Not exactly an answer but I don't think they really know why.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan
2) The email is internal and thus no spam filters are in place. I know the file is hidden in the user's mailbox but is there a way to find it?
Is the email internal?

When RIM was helping us troubleshoot an enterprise activation issue, they stated that the email that starts the activation is sent to the user from rim.net (or rim.com, I forget).

In our case, our external SMTP server *was* down at that time. Internal email was fine, but nothing external was getting in. As soon as that was resolved, the BlackBerry started activating.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #11
Dustbin30
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

Quote:
1) We have wiped the device completely. Removed the user from BES including deleting the stats attached to the mailbox

3) If another device activates via wireless successfully would this not point towards the device and/or network in the US? As a kill command is sent then we have tried again on his device to no avail

Which logs should I be looking at? O2 have requested the logs to be sent over to them including ROUT, DISP and MNGT logs to check out. What exactly should I be looking for?

The first step in the activation is to verify that the mailbox has the *.dat file with the encryption. Is this correct?
After reading this thread I am pretty much 100% certain the device is at fault.

Point 2 is incorrect though. RIM sends the EA email (etp...) from their infrastructure to the user's mailbox so it is definitely external.

The file isn't hidden in the mailbox. The entire mail is removed from the mailbox by the BES and used to finish the EA. It does write some info to the users mailbox but it's impossible to read that info.

Does this user forward mail to a PA or something? Or are their rules on his/her mailbox that move messages to a PST?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #12
yohan

i dare say that he has a PA that would receive his emails at a guess. he definitely does not use a pst file.

would any of the above mentioned things actually affect the wireless activation tho? ok after a bit more reading documentation this is what blackberry have to say about a problem of sitting at 'Activating...'

1) user may have entered an incorrect address (Not this...triple...quadripled checked by the IT director in the US)

2) Check BES Dispatcher and Messaging Agent are running (These are both running as can activate devices and services are ok)

3) BES may not be sending the KEY_ACCEPT reponse to the handheld. Check the Messaging Agent log for KEY_ACCEPT

Can anyone enter anymore light on the last option?

Maybe we try and activate another user perhaps myself to that device and see if it works to eliminate the network and/or device.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 AM   #13
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF

I had this issue the other day. The user had their mail program set to auto-delete mail from unrecognized sources. Make sure the user is signed out of their e-mail client during the activation and try again. Another thing, make sure their mailbox isn't full.

Also make sure there is nothing on the computer that could be redirecting e-mails out of the users Inbox into another folder. I used to have a rule that moved all attachments to a separate folder. Because the RIM activation e-mails have a file attached to them, this will cause a wireless activation to fail.

According to Tier 3 RIM support the only cause for being stuck at activating is that the BES never got the e-mail from RIM to begin activation.

Once the BES gets the e-mail, it replies back and the phone will go to "verifying encryption"

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:31 AM   #14
yohan

cool i wil try without outlook open but i dont see how that should affect it on wireless activation. works fine every other time when we set them up.

alright so does that *.dat that RIM send to my understanding is delivered to the user's mailbox and not the BES. does the BES not then check the mailbox for that file to confirm the encryption, etc before starting the activation on the device
Old 10-12-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF

Quote:
cool i wil try without outlook open but i dont see how that should affect it on wireless activation. works fine every other time when we set them up.

alright so does that *.dat that RIM send to my understanding is delivered to the user's mailbox and not the BES. does the BES not then check the mailbox for that file to confirm the encryption, etc before starting the activation on the device
If you'd like to try just for kicks, try to wirelessly activate a phone using a hotmail account. You'll get an e-mail from RIM.

It has to work this way otherwise every organization would have to open up ports for their BES. By allowing it to monitor an inbox it can be safely hidden behind your company's firewall.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.

Last edited by stonent; 10-12-2005 at 09:36 AM..
Old 10-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #16
Dustbin30
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
i dare say that he has a PA that would receive his emails at a guess. he definitely does not use a pst file.

would any of the above mentioned things actually affect the wireless activation tho? ok after a bit more reading documentation this is what blackberry have to say about a problem of sitting at 'Activating...'

1) user may have entered an incorrect address (Not this...triple...quadripled checked by the IT director in the US)

2) Check BES Dispatcher and Messaging Agent are running (These are both running as can activate devices and services are ok)

3) BES may not be sending the KEY_ACCEPT reponse to the handheld. Check the Messaging Agent log for KEY_ACCEPT

Can anyone enter anymore light on the last option?

Maybe we try and activate another user perhaps myself to that device and see if it works to eliminate the network and/or device.
If the user has mails forwarded to his pa before the BES has a chance to pick up the new mail it will stop EA. If the PA has BB it will cause a few more issues but I won't get into those here unless needed.

Check that his PA hasn't been receiving bizarre emails and deleting them. I've seen it before...
Old 10-12-2005, 12:36 PM   #17
syoulden
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Thumbs up Activation sits at initializing

We have seen cases where we start activation on a handheld and it starts and then just sits there. The only thing that seemed to do the trick was to pull the battery for about a minute and reinsert it. After that, activation worked as expected.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 AM   #18
Pillers

Model: 7100g

Quote:
A bit of background info is that this device was working fine for x amount of months then suddenly it stopped receiving mail. You could send mail but not receive.

It receives PIN messages fine, registers on the network, GPRS in capitals, etc, etc. However via enterprise activation wireless it sits at activating and goes no further. When done by desktop manager it creates a new encryption key and sync to completion but after removal it does not receive anymore emails and you cannot resend the IT policy to the device. Reports an error. (Cannot regenerate security encryption either from the BB)
I had the exact same issue; BB would only activate/recieve emails etc while connected to the PC.

The administrator here spoke to Optus (Australian carrier), and they completed the activation on their end; I started recieving emails instantly.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:53 AM   #19
yckernel

Model: 7100v

umm. i will suggest to do this.

Goto C:\Document and settings\Application Data\RIM\
There will have the PIN# directory. Delete that directory and regenerate the key again.
Make Money In Less Than 15 Minutes
http://swapclix.e-mite.com

Last edited by yckernel; 10-13-2005 at 06:48 AM..
Old 10-14-2005, 09:57 PM   #20
BBTechGuy

Model: 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by yckernel
umm. i will suggest to do this.

Goto C:\Document and settings\Application Data\RIM\
There will have the PIN# directory. Delete that directory and regenerate the key again.
That directory has nothing to do with the EA process.

To break down where the failure is occuring first verify the user enters the correct email address. If this is the case then ensure the the etp e-mail is not filtered to a pst or anything else. Finally open the Agent (MAGT) log and search for network@. If you do not see anything that contains this then you know you either looked in the wrong agent log or that the BES never found the etp e-mail and thus was not responsible for deleting it from the mailbox.
Closed Thread