Old 08-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
cdysthe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default I just don't get the iPhone!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I've used an iPhone for the last week or so. Normally I use a Blackberry, these days a T-Mobile 8800. And I must say it's a relief getting back to the BlackBerry. The iPhone is very cool with the touch screen and all the animation and the way things look, so cool in fact that it affects productivity. What am I missing?

All my friends and colleagues are raving about the iPhone, and I do not get it. They think I am deliberately trying to be difficult. I figured out that the BlackBerry was perfect for me after 10 minutes of use when I first got it. With the iPhone I am still not able understand what's so great. And on top of that, the sound is not good at all. Don't people listen when they review or buy a phone? Another thing is that I am not able to operate it with one hand. That's a showstopper right there.

If someone gave me an iPhone I guess the only good thing would be that I could purchase another phone as soon as the battery was worn out since it can't be replaced! Come on, what's up with that?

I think it's something wrong with me. All those people can't be wrong, or can they?

Now back to getting some work done on my BB!

//C
Old 08-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Spectral
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23FA9743

It's simple really. Some people like spinners on their rims, blinking blue LEDs on everything, UV reactive cables, the iPhone.

Others prefer function and stability.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
It's simple really. Some people like spinners on their rims, blinking blue LEDs on everything, UV reactive cables, the iPhone.

I was thinking about putting spinners and LED's on my Honda Hybrid :shrug:
Old 08-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
cdysthe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

Funny you say that. I had the same feeling I get when I see computers with lit up hd cables and fans, stuff like that. Makes the computer look hot even if it isn't.

But I have to say that the 8800 look great in it's own toned down elegant way. Much better than any BB device in the past.

//C
Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
jcatan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Default Its fun

The iPhone does what most people who buy it want it to do. And its fun to use while they do it. Simple.

I use a Blackberry and my wife uses an iPhone. We use them for different things and for different reasons. I see no reason for all of the phone users in the world to want the same thing. Choice is good.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

cd, I agree, too. Perfect fit here too.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
cdysthe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatan View Post
The iPhone does what most people who buy it want it to do. And its fun to use while they do it. Simple.

I use a Blackberry and my wife uses an iPhone. We use them for different things and for different reasons. I see no reason for all of the phone users in the world to want the same thing. Choice is good.
Yes, choice is good. My wife on the other hand looked at the iPhone and said "Cute" I asked her if she wanted one and she simply said no. My point is though that I do not even think it's a good phone! It's proably the best handheld internet browsing device, but that's about all as far as I can see.

//C
Old 08-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
Spectral
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: 23FA9743

How can it be the "best handheld internet browsing device" when it only supports EDGE? It's exclusive to AT&T, and yet it can't even use their 3G network. From what I've heard, browsing on it is painfully slow unless you're using Wi-Fi. If I'm in a location with Wi-Fi, I'll just use my laptop.

I agree about choice, though. People should get a phone that's right for them, and the BlackBerry isn't for everyone.

Last edited by Spectral; 08-07-2007 at 06:55 PM..
Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
cdysthe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
How can it be the "best handheld internet browsing device" when it only supports EDGE? It's exclusive to AT&T, and yet it can't even use their 3G network. From what I've heard, browsing on it is painfully slow unless you're using Wi-Fi. If I'm in a location with Wi-Fi, I'll just use my laptop.

I agree about choice, though. People should get a phone that's right for them, and the BlackBerry isn't for everyone.
It's not the fastest Internet experience, but it's as good as it gets in my opinion.

//C
Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

i agree, it is the best browsing phone.
Smartphone Browser Shootout: Palm, BlackBerry, HTC Vs. iPhone -- InformationWeek
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Moved to other Handheld Forum
Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
test54
BlackBerry Master

just for the novelty this one caught my eye.

iPhone NES: Fast, usable, totally rewritten - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
Old 08-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
mishycupcakes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

I would take an iPhone for free >_> but I would never pay for it until they make it much, much better.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
BlackBerryCoolSimon
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I think the three big things that are making the iPhone popular is clever marketing, user friendliness and brand recognizability. A lot of customers are looking for some (or all) of the above, while others, like us BlackBerry users, are more concerned with bottom-line functionality.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #15
EclipseGSohsix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
PIN: 32bba42d
Carrier: US Cellular

Quote:

don't forget about that aluminum wing on FWD cars!!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryCoolSimon View Post
I think the three big things that are making the iPhone popular is clever marketing, user friendliness and brand recognizability. A lot of customers are looking for some (or all) of the above, while others, like us BlackBerry users, are more concerned with bottom-line functionality.
I think your right but their is some good aspects to it beyond the candy coating as i read somewhere. The browser is good, the UI is good and its pretty ssnappy when going through menus - unlike my 8800 most of the time.

I think its all about the User friendliness of the device and the new way to move things and do things. Its a well built device also, feels very solid.