Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #201
BBSyncJosh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

I would like to publically respond to a PM sent my a forum member concerned about data security. There are two parts if you will to the data housed on our servers.

1. Is the account/customer information like name, address, email and PIN number. We do not require extensive information. We are also going to have Paypal as a pay option so would not need you to provide payment information. In any case, we have the security in place to protect this data.

2. This is the sync data. I would like everyone to understand that our Sync Server is basically a handshake server - meaning that once it sync's the data, ONLY the ID number of the item (that contact or email or task, etc) is stored on the server. The content is purged once the "handshake" is made. The initial sync data that you send is only used to map the IDs of your data, NONE of the details are stored. These IDs are stored in case you want to delete something that is on your device, we know what do delete on your PC. So for example, if you created a new contact on your device, all the contact details are sync'd with the Data Server. Once that data is sync'd with your PC, all the content data is purged from the system and the ID's are stored in our database. Please note that connections from the device and server and PC to data server are encrypted.

Nonetheless, we have the security in place to protect your data that is in the queue waiting for the "handshake".

I hope that answers it for folks who were wondering. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #202
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I would like to commend these guys. I have had alot of trouble with trying to get their software to work and they have been courteous and very helpful. They have sent me build after build and worked to try and get the problems resolved.

I am unable to use this software for what ever reason, however I chose to remove myself from the beta just so I don't burden the staff anymore.

Thank you Josh for the opportunity to try this out. I wish you good luck in the release of the final product.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #203
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

I just sent them my email, hope i can get in on the testing. Cross fingers.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #204
shawn1899
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Can anyone help with suggestions? I got the sync set up for two-way on both the desktop and the crackberry. For some reason anything I put on the desktop outlook gets sent to the blackberry, but for some reason when I put say a calendar item on the crackberry it doesn't show up on the desktop. When the desktop syncs it says no new items found..

Anyone had this problem? if so how did you correct it?

Shawn

PS, I'm using outlook 2003 and a pearl 8100
Old 01-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #205
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

you need to set the software on the BB to 2 way sync as well. There are two parts, one on the PC and one on the BB
Old 01-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #206
shawn1899
Thumbs Must Hurt

It is set for two way on both the pc and the blackberry
Old 01-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #207
Redflea

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

I've just started testing...initial experience is good overall. I am pleasantly surprised! There is some good stuff here...

I've provided numerous emails w/feedback on issues below to the BBerrySync team...so just sharing w/you other testers and lurkers.

Initial sync via USB didn't work for me, so I had to do what they call an "offline" sync (create sync file on BB, and then provide it to the PC client so it could do all its initial mapping, etc.).

The offline sync file is created in your device Ringtones folder, so the suggested process, copy it to the PC using Media Manager didn't work, since Roxio doesn't see any files in those directories that aren't media files, and you can't get an "all files" list as far as I could tell - not a filter option. So I browsed on the BB using the BB folder browser in Media and moved the file to my SD card in the pearl and then connected my Pearl to the PC and accessed it that way. Once I did that, initial sync/mapping completed fine.

Calendar events appear to sync fine...I've created new events on outlook and on my BB, as well as received meeting invites, and they all sync'd fine.

One thing I don't like - when deleting/modifying/accepting calendar events in Outlook, there is a noticeable period of time when Outlook becomes non-responsive while the change is being updated to the server. This is probably my biggest gripe at the moment...they need to work out how to avoid or at least minimize this issue.

Contacts have two issues I've noticed so far...1) Contacts created in Outlook that only have a Company Name (no personal name entered) do not sync to the Pearl. Unless and until you add a personal name, the sync log on the Pearl will say "0/1" and it won't show up there. 2) Contacts created on the BB are duplicated back to the BB (but not duped on Outlook) after another round of syncs occurs. If you delete one of the dupes on the Pearl, the one sync'd to Outlook is deleted.

There also isn't any way to set conflict resolution yet (there is a placeholder in the app UI, but it isn't filled in yet), so I'm not really sure what will happen at this point if I edit a contact or calendar event on both Outlook and my Pearl (will try that soon).

So there are things to work on, but this looks like it is in very good shape at this point. If BBerrySync ends up where it looks like it is heading, they will definitely get my business when this goes live. Nice work, Josh. Take your team to lunch on Dawg. ;)

It will be very cool to show to my iPhone friends and go "Nyah-nyah-nyah, wireless sync!" (Not to mention my wife, she and her BES superiority...) ;)
Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #208
Redflea

One thing...have you guys noticed whether the sync program on the BB needs to be restarted after each reboot? It seemed like it didn't restart automatically when I reset my BB earlier today.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #209
shawn1899
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yep, it seems to need to be re-established if you re boot your BB
Old 01-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #210
Redflea

Thanks for confirming...
Old 01-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #211
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

I am getting the issue where calendar objects created on the BB will either have an incorrect time in Outlook, or Outlook will remove them from the BB. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #212
Redflea

Nope, but I'll check again for that.

I've actually just gotten a bunch of dupes in my calendar, from existing recurring meetings that the meeting owner has updated. Haven't quite figurered out the exact steps to repro, but it happened twice w/two events that were updated a few minutes ago. Also had one recurring appointment that I hadn't changed in weeks dupe, and an appointment that is on Fridays show up on Sunday as well.

Hmmm...it was all so sweet for a few hours, but my calendar is now having some issues.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #213
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

i get duplicates when i do a manual sync from the BB and any changes or new appointments were created.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #214
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

I am now getting the issue with Duplicate contacts on the BB and Outlook. When I try and remove the Dups all are removed. Anyone have a fix for this, or if someone has this working properly, can you share your settings for both sides of the program (ie, PC side and BB side)

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 01-25-2008 at 06:02 PM..
Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #215
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
i get duplicates when i do a manual sync from the BB and any changes or new appointments were created.
Thanks...I'll try to not do any manual syncs from the BB for a while and see if things stabilize.

I'm getting "wandering" dupe meetings as well...one that was/is still on Wed of next week, is now also on Tues the following week at 8:00 AM twice (individual meetings), and 8:15 AM once (recurring meeting, but I can only open the individual occurrence from that one).
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #216
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
I am now getting the issue with Duplicate contacts on the BB and Outlook. When I try and remove the Dups all are removed. Anyone have a fix for this, or if someone has this working properly, can you share your settings for both sides of the program (ie, PC side and BB side)
You mean create a contact on the Pearl and it's duped on the Pearl, as I noted above, or another issue?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #217
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

actually, it creates on the device, syncs, creates in outlook, syncs, creates on the device, syncs and finally creates in outlook.

Although i seem to have neutralized this by resetting the sync settings to one way device to desktop (on the PC side) then changing it back to two way, it has only been about 30 minutes since this was done. The Sync seems to get a bit goofy after a while so i will keep you posted. I am also running an OS on my device that isnt the standard so I am sure that doesnt help
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #218
Redflea

Thanks...I just got a dupe of a contact I created on the Pearl and then edited in Outlook after it sync'd to Outlook. The edited version then showed up on the Pearl, so now I have the original and edited one on the Pearl, only the edited one in Outlook.

So are you running a beta of an upcoming release?

Last edited by Redflea; 01-25-2008 at 08:16 PM..
Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM   #219
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

i switch between the OSes almost daily actually. I am pretty sure that might cause some issues for any piece of software. I also dont run a standard version of Windows, i have edited alot of things out that may be needed. Still so far so good on the App though, if i get duplicates i just delete from the device that has the duplicate. (ie, if outlook shows 2, and the BB shows 1, i will delete both from the outlook, and it deletes from the berry.). I then recreate the item on the BBerry and dont have an issue.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #220
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

I will install tonight and join ya'll in testing tomorrow. I will see if I notice the same behavior you're reporting.
Closed Thread