Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers
Default ERROR: Uncaught exception java.lang.illegalargumentexception

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone heard of it? First time ever for me. I'm running on version 4.2.0.71. I went into the phone by typing the first few letters of the contact, and this error showed up: Uncaught exception java.lang.illegalargumentexception.

I pressed OK, and all seems fine since then in the last few hours.

WTF?

The last error i had was 3 mos. ago (Uncaught exception DSSMA: invalid state (5): 32) and the tech made me do a new OS install.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

I get similar or the same message when I turn on my 8100. Maybe the latest OS still have bugs?
Old 04-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't know if you're thinking of the latest and greatest, which this isn't... I'm talking about the 4.2.1.66.

I just talked to Rogers tech support and they said it's not a fatal error unless I see it lots.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
torinate
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Whats a fatal error?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: All
Carrier: Plead the fifth.

They aren't using fatal error in it's correct sense. A fatal error is an error which a thread/process/application cannot recover from and so crashes to an error. It has nothing to do with frequency but probably will have a common factor, either in data accessed or app. in use, circumstances leading up to etc.

What they mean is that they don't see it as service affecting unless you see it lots.

They are right in that it could have been arrived at through a fluke set of circumstances, if you consistently see it then look for a pattern and consider a backup, then device wipe and selective barebones reinstall. If you're still seeing it I'd redo the O/S and restore everything.

These things were sent to try us ;)

worm
Old 04-19-2007, 02:38 AM   #6
Xodia

PIN: yea...no
Carrier: T-Mobile

I do tech support for blackberry/pda devices and when you get errors like that you may want to think of updating the OS system on the pearl. Even if you already have the most recent software reinstall it. Once you've done that, it should take care of the problem. I had the same issue on my pearl when i first got it and after updating the OS, never had the problem again.

PS don't forget to do a backup and restore or you're gonna loose all your information.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
coldconfession13
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9550
PIN: 30fd8208
Carrier: Verizon

I got this one trying to open up opera mini hit ok and it loaded opera fine after that.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xodia View Post
when you get errors like that you may want to think of updating the OS system on the pearl. Even if you already have the most recent software reinstall it.
Hi, I've only upgraded the OS once myself, 3 months ago, and I had no other apps on it back then. I now have Berry 411 and Google Maps on this. If I backup and do an OS reinstall, does the backup also contain all the non standard RIM apps like the above two which then get installed along with the OS? Or do I have to back them up separately somehow and then install them?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 AM   #9
Xodia

PIN: yea...no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiro View Post
If I backup and do an OS reinstall, does the backup also contain all the non standard RIM apps like the above two which then get installed along with the OS? Or do I have to back them up separately somehow and then install them?
I get this question alot, before you even begin the whole reinstalling process what i would recommend doing is syncing up once with desktop manager, double click on application loader, hit next on one screen it should show you everything you have installed on your device with a check mark next to it, this also includes the extra programs you have downloaded. If for any reason they aren't there make sure the checkmark at the bottom of the app loader wizard is checked i believe it says something to the effect of "include all programs that are on device", sync up again, check app loader and it they are there on that list of applications then you are ok to go.

Now if that doesn't work you can always do a back up and restore. However i'm not sure about berry 411 because i have no idea what that is, if worst comes to worst you can just redownload google maps it's a faily simple and quick download.

Hope this helps!!
Old 04-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #10
tazeat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Its an error thrown by a method in the Java programming by the rim people. Since it is never caught (that is in a try-catch block) it shows up to the user. It is a bug in some piece of software. Die Java.

IllegalArgumentException (Java 2 Platform SE v1.4.2)
Old 04-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazeat View Post
Its an error thrown by a method in the Java programming by the rim people. Since it is never caught (that is in a try-catch block) it shows up to the user. It is a bug in some piece of software. Die Java.

IllegalArgumentException (Java 2 Platform SE v1.4.2)
So basically its code from an application that caused the error. I get this when I play "MeteorCrusher". This or a similar error (I've never spent time focusing on the full error string BUT UncaughtException does show up) whenever I increase my rapid input for rapid fire. This causes the application to close immediately. However I can relaunch it & play again within seconds of acknowledging the error.

BTW, I've already upgraded my OS several listings up. So I know its the application not the RIM OS code. BTW, when you decide to upgrade you DON"T need to whipe the HH, you can just follow the instructions posted on this site frequent amount of time, the applications WILL present themselves to be checkable, if not already, for re-install with the new OS.
Closed Thread