BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
PIN: ?
Carrier: AT&T
Default Anyone out there with the ATT 8310?

Please Login to Remove!

Just placed my order a few days ago from LetsTalk. Yep its back ordered and was told shipment was to come in last night....So hoping to get it by Friday.

Anyways, can anyone with this phone tell me how they like it? I am coming from a VZW 8830. Pros/Cons....

I couldnt care less about wifi so thats not a negative to me. Any information would be great!

edit: any information on the mic would be great. the 8830 mic was FAR too sensitive. If i was in the car with the radio barely on, people would think the radio was blasting. same with TV and other ambient noise.

Last edited by gibber9583; 10-24-2007 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
psyct1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

I have been on AT&T since 2005, so I have no info on switching from VZW to AT&T however, I did just get the 8310 (had the 8300)...

From what I can tell so far, the 8310 seems to be much more stable (less hourglass appearance) than the 8300.

The GPS on the phone works great, be forewarned though, if you are indoors it is likely you will never connect to any satellites, best thing to do (which I got from here) is to go outside, clear view of the sky, and go to Options>Advanced Options->GPS then click the BB button and click Refresh GPS... the first time you do this it could take up to a minute but, if in a decent area, it shouldn't take much longer than 15 seconds...

I know it wasn't too informative but, hope it helps...
Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks for the info.

I know what i'm getting into switching from VZW to ATT. Any more information on the phone performance, mainly the microphone/call quality?

Anyone else out there w/an opinion?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
psyct1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber9583 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I know what i'm getting into switching from VZW to ATT. Any more information on the phone performance, mainly the microphone/call quality?

Anyone else out there w/an opinion?
call quality is pretty good both with my Samsung WEP-200 BT headset and on the device itself... My only issue is while making a call, and the phone is ringing, there is a bit of static but, clears up once the call is actually connected...
Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
psudoc64

Carrier: AT&T (Cingular)

I picked up one of the Crimson 8310s and really like it. I keep waffling back and forth between that and an 8820 as my everyday device. I really like the size and feel of the 8310. The phone works great. My only complaint about it is that the finish really show fingerprints - especially on the back of the device. Easy enough to wipe off, but I've had other devices that didn't show the smears as much. Other than that, I really haven't had any problems with that (or any other BB device on AT&T).

Both devices have GPS and they both work about the same using google maps. The wifi on the 8820 comes in handy at home, but I haven't really used it anywhere else. Like I said, I keep switching between the two and will likely keep doing that until the next device comes along.

Enjoy!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Letstalk? You will be lucky to get the phone this month!

I love the way they say it is in stock and start telling you well it will be in this date and that date and when it gets here, they move it again!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Oh please dont say a month! I hold out hope they did get it in today. I will be calling them shortly to make sure they did!

This delay is really screwing up the sale of my 8830 w/VZW.

I'm hoping the transition from CDMA to GSM will be a smooth one for me. Never have I used a GSM device! 8 years with Verizon left them for AT&T
Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
dgw2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I use a VZW 8830 for work and recently picked up the 8310 for personal use. First, I like the keyboard much better. Although I have grown used to the 8830 keyboard (and I changed it out for a black the over the silver), the 8310 keyboard beats it IMO. The keys are crisper and the small separation makes typing a bit easier.

The form factor is also a bit better because it is slightly smaller and fits into a front pocket nicer. Coverage has been good in my area with the ATT compared to the VZW, but my basement office does not share the same signal strength on the ATT. Outside of the those, there is not a huge difference in the actual operation.

In my case, the 8310 screen contrast is different (more) from the 8830, and I am not sure which I would consider better. There does not seem to be much traffic discussing screen differences other than when Boy Genius mentioned something in the initial unbox.

Call quality has been pretty good, but it is definitely different than the CDMA. The ringer is definitely higher volume as well. You will see a difference in battery life. The 8830 is definitely stronger. Even when being used more frequently for email.

The one other difference of note is the ATT Edge vs. VZW EVDO. If you do a lot of surfing from the BB, EVDO is definitely faster. On Edge, more waiting for sure.

The GPS function is nice, and I am trying every possible scenario to see which I would prefer. There is the free route with Google and BBMaps, but Telnav definitely has advantages if you are trying to track down a place to eat, stay, etc.

Even in light of the downsides, I will probably be chomping at the bit when the Curve gets closer to going on VZW so I can use it for work. I like the keyboard that much more.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
robothero

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Letstalk? You will be lucky to get the phone this month!

I love the way they say it is in stock and start telling you well it will be in this date and that date and when it gets here, they move it again!
well the month does end in about a week
Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robothero View Post
well the month does end in about a week
and if they do not have it by then, cancel it and go elsewhere. I hate companies like this. If their site says in stock and I pick overnight shipping, I expect the item the next day!

It is likely I ordered it because they said they DID have it in stock and took my money for the itme and overnight shipping. I would not tollerate it. They are simply baiting you by saying it is in stock!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 10-24-2007 at 10:28 AM..
Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

Battery life was better on the 8830? really...thought GSM devices had a better battery life than CDMA.

Battery life is a severe issue with me. anything will be better than my 8830 since i just moved to a VZW dead zone and it constantly bounces between low EVDO coverage, to 1X to no coverage.

Good to hear the ringer volume is back up. As a 8830 and a 8310 user, do you notice anything different with the mic? well, maybe not you, the people on the other end of the calll?

I could not use the 8830 for business(unless i was using a BT headset).
Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #12
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

I paid for overnight shipping as well in hopes to get it um, the next day?

If its not shipped today, i'm going to send an angry email and perhaps a phone call asking to at least refund my shipping.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #13
robothero

Like I said in the other thread, I placed my order on friday. Shipping said it will ship Tuesday.

Yesterday it was changed to ship Wednesday.

Today it was changed to ship Thursday.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #14
dgw2

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

The battery has just been my experience as of late. I went on a small trip, did not plug the 8310 in for a day and a half and it was dead. My 8830 though will last a couple of days. (that is also based on very little talk time for each.

As far as the mic, no one has reported any issues. To be honest I have not used anything on my 8310 but a Jabra JX-10 v2 or the handset itself. On my 8830, I am on the phone enough that I actually use the wired ear bud the most with some use of the Jabra (I get tired of needing to charge the thing). I never need to repeat myself when I am on the earbud.

The one other thing I failed to mention was the camera. I am glad I have one on my personal device. I never needed one on my work BB.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've had my 8310 for about a week and I love it. No real issues (so far) and the device seems to be very solid.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
cingular_agent

Model: 8700
Carrier: the New AT&T

Got my Crimson 8310 today and waiting for my Demo Telenav to be activated. I will update when I use the GPS tonight.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #17
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by robothero View Post
Like I said in the other thread, I placed my order on friday. Shipping said it will ship Tuesday.

Yesterday it was changed to ship Wednesday.

Today it was changed to ship Thursday.
I'm sorry to hear that you are having this experience.

However this is exactly what companies like Let'sTalk do. Since they are independent _resellers_ they will never get the product until _After_ a carrier like T-Mobile or AT&T has filled a substantial amount of orders. After all Let'sTalk is a customer of AT&T just like you and I. And despite they have a line of retail stores, that does not move them up in the queue to get the phones any faster. Because they have no pull with the mfgs, unfortunately they rely on lying to the customers and employing exceptionally false marketing practices. Bottom line, you simply cannot believe anything they say or anything they advertise.

The only minor advantage to a shop like Let'sTalk is if you want an older device that is no longer the "latest or hottest thing" They usually have a lot of these in stock and will deal to a certain extent just to unload them. Other than that, it's suicide to try and get the latest devices from them. They simply cannot deliver.

I would steer clear of these resellers at all costs.

I was able to purchase my RED 8310 the very day it was released through AT&T, I called in the order, they gave me a courtesy discount which brought it well below any ebay price, and shipped it 2day overnight FedEX at no cost to me. World Class Service. Thanks AT&T!

It arrived as promised and works perfectly, I could not be happier. It has the best keyboard of any of my BB (for me anyway), and that includes the 8700c.

Cheers....
Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #18
lawizard

Model: 8300
Carrier: cingular - the new AT&T

I had originally placed an order through LetsTalk also. There was some confusion with my account with AT&T. I walked into a local store (Asheville, NC) on Monday. They didn't have any but called and had one delivered for me on Tuesday. Except for having to get new activation codes for some products, it is wonderful! I got the red, have a clear plastic case that provides screen protection and find that it is just fantastic.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
robothero

big update on my phone about to go into the letstalk thread
Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #20
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict