Old 08-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
muychingon

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Sprint offerings?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I have a Curve and I use ATT, however I have a friend who uses Sprint. I went to Radioshack to ask about the latest offerings from RIM on the Sprint network and the guy was pretty clueless.

Can anyone tell me how your experience with Sprint in the SoCal (specific to Orange County) was? Do you know what is the newest model blackberry that you can get with Sprint? and how does it compare to the Curve.

Thanks a lot for any feedback you can give me.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Amigo, consider searching prior to asking a question next time. Also, as you are asking an opinion question, you will get varied answers, so take all of them with a grain of salt.

Having said that, I would never buy a Sprint device again. Their service is basically garbage. If you choose to subject yourself to their crappy network, the newest device is the 8830. It is somewhat similar to the Curve, but there are plenty of differences. There are a lot of threads comparing the 88xx to the 83xx series devices.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Amigo, consider searching prior to asking a question next time. Also, as you are asking an opinion question, you will get varied answers, so take all of them with a grain of salt.

Having said that, I would never buy a Sprint device again. Their service is basically garbage. If you choose to subject yourself to their crappy network, the newest device is the 8830. It is somewhat similar to the Curve, but there are plenty of differences. There are a lot of threads comparing the 88xx to the 83xx series devices.
Yeah, take his advice with a grain of salt. There is nothing wrong with Sprint's network, it is certainly as good as most and better then Tmobile any day of the week. Customer Service seems to be where most have a problem with Sprint. But to say that their network sucks, is less then genuine.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 08-06-2007 at 03:34 PM..
Old 08-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Dont live in Cal so I cant help you there
Lastest BB is the 8830
Old 08-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
careyana
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: CingATT

Agreed. Sprint service isn't as strong in some places as in others but I'd much rather use my sprint cell when I can versus CingAtt's network for my Blackberry cell.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Yeah, take his advice with a grain of salt. There is nothing wrong with Sprint's network, it is certainly as good as most and better then Tmobile any day of the week. Customer Service seems to be where most have a problem with Sprint. But to say that their network sucks, is less then genuine.
Everywhere that I have taken Sprint, their network did in fact suck. I had a 7130e, and with both myself and Giselle having full signal, the call would drop intermittently. Usually during an important moment in the conversation when a call drop was bad.

Anyway, it's all opinion.

Last edited by dc/dc; 08-06-2007 at 03:47 PM..
Old 08-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

My opiinion of Sprint's network is the same: it sucks.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I tried Sprint for a short time in the NYC area and it was a horror show. I dropped them like a bad habbit and never looked back. I'm very happy (read: thrilled) with T-Mobile. If I were going with a CDMA carrier it would be Verizon.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
Naked Wife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry: BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

The 8830 is the latest Blackberry to hit Sprint and its comparable to the 8800 on AT&T. I've had Sprint ten years here in Texas and although the first two years were rough, I stuck with them for the price and because my usage back then wasn't so serious. Sprint has really improved in the past couple of years and many who bash them (not all) tried them long ago. Everyones opinion will differ, but coverage being equal I personally would pick Sprint for better pricing and faster data. AT&T does get all the new stuff first so if you're into having the newest device first, stick with ATT. Good luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Wife View Post
Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry: BlackBerry7520/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

The 8830 is the latest Blackberry to hit Sprint and its comparable to the 8800 on AT&T. I've had Sprint ten years here in Texas and although the first two years were rough, I stuck with them for the price and because my usage back then wasn't so serious. Sprint has really improved in the past couple of years and many who bash them (not all) tried them long ago. Everyones opinion will differ, but coverage being equal I personally would pick Sprint for better pricing and faster data. AT&T does get all the new stuff first so if you're into having the newest device first, stick with ATT. Good luck!
For the record, my last stint with Sprint was last summer with a 7130e and 7250.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Wife View Post

Sprint has really improved in the past couple of years and many who bash them (not all) tried them long ago.
I'm using Sprin t right now, though not in Texas. I just took a trip from here to Michigan, and while it worked most of the time, it was difficult for my 8703e to stay at 1XEV (it's difficult everywhere I've gone with it actually) On T-Mobile EDGE or GPRS were very reliable.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by muychingon View Post
Do you know what is the newest model blackberry that you can get with Sprint? and how does it compare to the Curve.
You can find this info by visiting Sprint's web site and Blackberry.com. Use the latter to compare devices.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
AnthroMatt
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: 268B3F92
Carrier: at&t

Sprint is just fine in Orange County.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #14
robertpetry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: SprintPCS

Just my two cents, I travel all around the midwest, west and a little east (major cities). I have been on sprint and AT&T and I can guarantee the voice quality and data speeds are significantly better on Sprint. Period. And I almost never am without a signal.

That has been my consistent experience. Others apparently have had different experiences. I can't vouch for Verizon - I won't pay 30-40% more for the same thing.

I just moved from a Treo 700p to an 8830 and I love it. On Sprint.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
muychingon

Thanks a lot for all the responses!

@ dc/dc
Thanks, yes I know to take this with a grain of salt, the responses so far are what I expected. I will do more research next time before asking, thanks! And thanks for all your other commentary.

@ArgonNJ, koleary19067, rambo47, dkf747
Thanks!

@careyana
Thanks, yeah I'm not very happy with AT&T's network, but the benefits of the Curve alone outweigh the issues with AT&T's network for me.

@Naked Wife
Thanks, yeah I am not planning on switching, this is for a friend. Yeah hopefully The companies like Sprint see the feedback and make improvements, it sounds like this has happened in the past 10 years with Sprint, in your area.

@takeshi
Yes, thanks. I took a look there first, but I don't like Sprint's site and I wanted to get opinions a little more than hard cold facts.

@AnthroMatt
Thanks! this is exactly what I was hoping for... except a few more.

Thanks to all of you for responding so far. It is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #16
muychingon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpetry View Post
Just my two cents, I travel all around the midwest, west and a little east (major cities). I have been on sprint and AT&T and I can guarantee the voice quality and data speeds are significantly better on Sprint. Period. And I almost never am without a signal.
Cool, I did a quick non-scientific test just loading a few pages on a treo on the sprint network vs my curve on AT&T, and it was ridiculous how much faster the pages loaded in the Treo. Granted... they are two operating systems, and two different browsers... but as a quick subjective test, the results were not even in the same ballpark.

As far as the voice quality is concerned on my Curve, the quality is great so long as I have 2 bars or more. Anything below 2 bars I have to be super still or use my bluetooth headset while just leaving the phone in place. If I have less than 1 bar showing and I move the phone around (walking, switching positions etc) it chops up my call. On the Treo I tested, the call quality was as good, but it was as good with any kind of reception so long as the connection exists.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #17
robertpetry

Model: 8830
Carrier: SprintPCS

What I have found is that you either have signal or you don't with Sprint. If you don't it will cut out and either come back or die. On AT&T you get distortion and garbled speech (sounds like a robot or something) when the signal drops.

The Sprint signal in your area might not be as strong, but I think low signal is more usable on Sprint.

Again, just MHO
Old 08-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #18
muychingon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpetry View Post
What I have found is that you either have signal or you don't with Sprint. If you don't it will cut out and either come back or die. On AT&T you get distortion and garbled speech (sounds like a robot or something) when the signal drops.

The Sprint signal in your area might not be as strong, but I think low signal is more usable on Sprint.

Again, just MHO
I agree. You're right about the speech though with AT&T, you get the whole Matrix effect.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #19
level9

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

All comments about "such and such network sucks" are non-scientific, anecdotal comments. Meaning - that network might really suck in that person's area, but unless they live right next door to you, its tough to prove "it sucks everywhere!"

I have been on AT&T and Sprint, and both have "sucked" in different areas. The point is to find what works for you in the areas you will be in. Right now I am having fine reception with Sprint in most areas I go too, but I haven't been in every area across the country either.