Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t
Default Help with Cingular Warranty Replacement

Please Login to Remove!

I bought my pearl from Cingular the day they released it. Have had zero problems with it. At some point I bought a 2 gb microsd on ebay, and the seller included a free sticker that's supposed to improve reception.

Now I'm not stupid enough to think the sticker thingie was going to work, but, I guess I was stupid enough to slap it on my pearl anyway. A couple of days later I took it off and with it came the sticker on the back of the device that has the IMEI number on it.

Today, a couple of months later, my Pearl goes bad. I have no idea what happened, but when I came back from lunch, the keyboard wouldn't work. The device is on -- it gets calls and messages, but I can't answer the calls or get the screen to turn on (except if I plug the device into the USB).

So I call Cingular and they transfer me to the warranty replacement folks who tell me that I'm out of luck because the missing sticker voids my warranty.

Questions:
Does anyone know where in the materials that came with my phone it says that removing the IMEI sticker voids my warranty?

Does anyone have an estimate of the likelihood that, if I go ahead and have them send out a warranty replacement, that they'll try to charge me when they get my existing phone back?

Does anyone have any other advice for me as to how to get a replacement pearl from Cingular?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Amckeithan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: 23fca7dc
Carrier: cingular

I have only had to replace one phone with cingular. It was a SE s710a. It just started to go crazy on me. It would turn off in middle of calls and texts and auto lock it self while trying to send a text. I called cingular and they just look at my account made sure i had the phone that was listed and they sent me a new one. I sent them the old one and that was about it.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
careyana
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: CingATT
Default warranty

You can get the IMEI for your Blackberry under Status in Options.

Their telling you that you can't get it replaced because the sticker is missing is ridiculous. The only sticker they seem concerned about when I call is the moisture indicator.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #4
FroogleThis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

That's correct. As long as you purchased the phone through them, I would send the phone back and get it replaced. If they attempt to charge you for the phone, tell them it stuck to the battery or something and you're not sure what happened. If all else fails, take it to a store and try and get it exchanged there.

Make sure you have some kind of documentation of buying the phone through them though, so there is less of a chance of them trying to say you purchased it elsewhere.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

If you need the PIN or IMEI take a look at this FAQ

Where do I find my PIN and IMEI? - BlackBerryFAQ

Not sure about the sticker missing issue.... Maybe ask to speak with a supervisor...
Old 05-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Some places will be a pain about the sticker due to company protocol. Sometimes you can get around it, all depends on the people you talk to. Going to someone in person sometimes works better than the phone.

You may have to try it a few times. You are bound to get somewhere.

And the IMEI that is in your status can't lie. So if you speak to someone who is not blackberry savvy, try to find someone who is.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 05-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (7130c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks for the replies. For the record, I know how to find my IMEI and was able to give it to them. The issue was the stupid sticker.

Anyway, after spending there hours simply and politely asking them to show me where informed me of this issue when I bought the device, they ageed to send me a replacement.

Ironically, because of my frustration, I tossed me Pearl onto me desk with a little force, and, of course it started to work again. Seems to be holding up after a few hours. So what do I do? I don't want to take a chance that this might happen again, on the other hand, this Pearl has been very reliable (until now) and I hate to take a chance on a areplacement.

So what do I do now?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

You better just get the replacement.... If you cancel it now and the old goes on the fritz again (same Issue) you will have a hard time getting them to send another..
Old 05-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

I was under the impression that Cingular would not insure PDAs and Smartphones.
Closed Thread