BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Anyone use a Pearl to watch movies on an airplane recently?

Please Login to Remove!

A friend of mine took a flight and said that he was not allowed to watch a movie on or even turn on his Pearl while in-flight?

Anyone else experience this. Its kind of annoying that it is ok to use an Video Ipod and not a Pearl.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
phidauex
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile US

It was probably just a misinformed airline/attendant. Some of them haven't caught onto the fact that a lot of phones have a "Radio off" or "airplane mode". I've flown on Frontier a lot recently, and their prerecorded announcement even says something like, "Cell phones must remain off for the duration of the flight. If your phone or other wireless device has an airplane or game mode, please activate it now."

So in general, you should be fine. Probably just a few straggler attendants who haven't realized. Just make sure that you actually DO turn off the radio. They actually CAN mess with airline instrumentation.

Peace,
sam
Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Yeah, I had an attendant get a little attitude when I flew to Detroit, when we were landing I was gonna show a small video to my friend and the attendant was like "YOU CAN'T USE THOSE UNTIL WE GET TO THE GATE"....I was like...WTF? The radio is off. She had a confused face...so I was like "forget it, you don't know"
Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Electronic equipment must be turned off for taxi prior to takeoff, takeoff & climb and approach and landing. After takeoff, electronic equipment can be used but only if it doesn't transmit or receive a signal. A Pearl with the radio off (game/airplane mode) can be used after takeoff (when the flight attendant makes the announcement that it's ok to do so) until approach and landing. During approach and landing all electronic equipment has to be off. After landing they allow you to turn on your cell phone even while taxiing since there is no intention of flight and onboard equipement is not initiallizing for flight.

While at cruise if a Flight Attendant questions you just inform he/she that you have it airplane mode. That usually makes them smile and walk away.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #5
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Electronic equipment must be turned off for taxi prior to takeoff, takeoff & climb and approach and landing. After takeoff, electronic equipment can be used but only if it doesn't transmit or receive a signal. A Pearl with the radio off (game/airplane mode) can be used after takeoff (when the flight attendant makes the announcement that it's ok to do so) until approach and landing. During approach and landing all electronic equipment has to be off. After landing they allow you to turn on your cell phone even while taxiing since there is no intention of flight and onboard equipement is not initiallizing for flight.

While at cruise if a Flight Attendant questions you just inform he/she that you have it airplane mode. That usually makes them smile and walk away.
However if the flight attendant does not agree you simply can't use the BB. They are in charge when the plane is in the air and probably think they are doing it for the safety of the plane. Unfortunately not all flight personnel are tech savvy. Perhaps an explanation and demonstration before you flight takes off might help. Also unfortunately it's not a situation that varies from airline to airline. It really depends on the flight crew.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

^^^ Absolutely true. You are required by Federal Aviation Regulations to comply with crewmembers instructions. If a kind explanation about the radio doesn't appease them just agree to turn it off. They may be in error about your device but they are running the show. It's a federal offense and a hefty fine. Not worth the hassle in this day and age.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
While at cruise
Yeah, that's what I meant.

You're right though, in this day and age, not worth the hassle.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
Willie115

Carrier: mEowmIx

It could be worse... if you give them attitude about turning a device off... they'll point their fingers at you... yell TERRORIST... and everyone will jump you and destroy your precious pearl.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #9
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

I watched Officespace on a flight from Boston to DC, at one point I also had my portable GPS device tracking the flight. The flight attendant asked me if "the radio was turned off on my pearl." I said yes, and she walked away.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #10
Scarlett
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Traveling to Ethiopia in October. Are you saying you just have to turn wireless off and then you can use all other features?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Technically, here is what you are supposed to do. When the F/A tells you that all electonic equipment must be turned off go ahead and turn off the wireless radio first, then turn off the phone power. Then, when they later, after takeoff, say that you can turn on any electronic equipment as long as it doesn't transmit a signal you can then turn on your phone (wireless radio is already off so you won't generate any signal.) Before landing turn phone power off when instructed. After landing, on the way to the gate, most airlines will let you use your phone. Turn it on, turn on the wireless radio and you are good to go.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Technically, here is what you are supposed to do. When the F/A tells you that all electonic equipment must be turned off go ahead and turn off the wireless radio first, then turn off the phone power. Then, when they later, after takeoff, say that you can turn on any electronic equipment as long as it doesn't transmit a signal you can then turn on your phone (wireless radio is already off so you won't generate any signal.) Before landing turn phone power off when instructed. After landing, on the way to the gate, most airlines will let you use your phone. Turn it on, turn on the wireless radio and you are good to go.
Yeah this is how i have always done it with previous Blackberries. However I was told that some law was passed or the FAA has some new rule that says you can not use one at all. However I just checked the FAA website and it it looks like phones are permitted in what they call "airplane mode" but ultimately its the crew's call. See link --> Answer

Guess I sort of answered my own question.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #13
kasperapd
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Just watched a video on my 8800 a few days ago while on a Continental flight. Had no issues and the flight attendant walked by several times while I was watching. It really just depends on the crew.

Please try a Search
Old 03-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #14
craigme
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: TMOB

I tried to watch a video on a flight last week, but since I can't get the movie sound to come through my headset, I couldn't hear the movie so I ended up turning it off...
How are you guys watching movies AND hearing it while in flight?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
beyondalegend
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115
It could be worse... if you give them attitude about turning a device off... they'll point their fingers at you... yell TERRORIST... and everyone will jump you and destroy your precious pearl.
lol..
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #16
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett
Traveling to Ethiopia in October. Are you saying you just have to turn wireless off and then you can use all other features?
Correct.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #17
tprime

Carrier: Tmobile

For me when I travel I use my BB sparingly just in case there is a delay and I cant get to a charger. If you use the battery up on the plane suppose you run into some problem and cant get your phone charged? Besides I usually fly jetBlue and I watch TV the whole flight. Or I listen to my mp3 player I mean If you guys are hardcore BB users you must have one. The pearl only came out late last year.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #18
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigme
I tried to watch a video on a flight last week, but since I can't get the movie sound to come through my headset, I couldn't hear the movie so I ended up turning it off...
Get good headphones. I use Shure E3Cs which were a gift. Normally they cost like $150. You can get Sony Earbuds that work great. Just search for Sony MDR-EX51LP or Sony Earbuds. They are well worth the $30-$40 and will block out all that airplane buzz. I used these and will only buy these. Again, only using the E3Cs because they were a gift.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #19
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprime
Besides I usually fly jetBlue and I watch TV the whole flight.
You may have to forget the whole TV thing. Jetblue used to be great, now I don't what to make of them. I think they expanded to fast and into cities they shouldn't have. They will go under soon or eliminate the TVs to stay in business.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #20
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigme
First, get an adapter from Siedio, then a set of stereo headphones to plug into the adapter - great sound!
Closed Thread